QSC PLX2402

Vital

I picked up this amp a few weeks ago and just finished the fan mod "very simple and fast" on it and let me tell you... it is an amazing amp. I have not tried it on my RF-7s yet but on the Chorus lls it is fun! I don't know why it sounds so much better than everything else I've had hooked to my speakers but it does. I'm over here plotting on how to justify putting all QSC amps in my theater room lol.

I learned about the QSC PLX years ago from one of Dean's posts. (Thanks Dean!). I think that Dean learned about these directly from TRey or Roy at Klipsch (they used these in their lab).

I had a QSC PLX and a pair of Bryston 7B ST's at the same time to do a comparison with B&W N801's. There seemd to be a slight difference in midrange with the Brystons being a tad bit better, but we are talking very slight and it could have been other things (like my imagation).

I also later had a pair of Classe Monblocks (forget the model, they were 700 wpc at 4 ohms) and the were very slightly different than the brystons (it think it was intentional eq to make them sound very slightly "warmer").

Moral of the story, the Brystons and Classe amps are gone. I use a Musical Fidelity amp in my main system, but just because it looks pretty and matches the CD player and Preamp. I have a QSC PLX 1202 in another system and a PLX 2404 for a planned Klipsch system. The QSC PLX's are outstanding amps. I bought the 2404 to replace the Classe monoblocks but then stumbled across the Musical Fidelity amp, that is the only reason that I do not use the 2404 in the main system.

If you use one of these, make sure your preamp has the juice to drive it. The input impedence (or voltage required) can be tough on some preamps. There was a guy in Denver who would change the surface mounted resistors to make it easier to drive (like if you have a tube preamp). I think that the lower models (1202 and 2404) are as easy to drive as consumer amps (about 1v for full power ???). Going off of memory here. I have Musical Fidelity preamps so I never even worried about this (the MF pre's have a lot of juice).

I also have a QSC Amp and would be interested in knowing what you did to quiet the fan. It looks like a 80mm 24vdc fan. Did you replace it, and if so what part did you find to do the job?

I used this fan, it is a perfect fit. Just pull the old fan off and put the new fan on. I didn't have a new connection plug so I just cut the old fan's lead in half and spliced it's connection onto the new fan and that was it. It is dead quiet, this fan is only 19db. On the model number scroll down to the 3110SB, that is the fan to use.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=3110sb-05w-b20-e00&x=16&y=19

No problem, it's a simple mod and once it's done it turns that pro amp into a perfect amp for the home. The only negative to the QSC amp is that it won't fit in my audio rack in my living room because of the rack ears. Not a huge deal of course.