just.not.happy

colterphoto1

Got the Jubilees up (see other thread) in my 2ch room that's housed all kinds of gear. Khorns, Jamo Concert 80 and some pretty good input sources. Still not pleased with the experience. I'm at a loss. Never use the room, the speakers sit idle as does the vinyl collection. Do I need to scrap it all and start over? Get a decorator and redo the room so it's more conducive to sitting and listening (maybe reading? the light it horrible in this room). I dunno. Maybe the hearth room LS and pretty good components is good enough and I don't need a dedicated hi-fi 2 ch setup as well. I just never go in there ya know?

Sounds like a bit of frustration. I dont know the answer....but... before I'd let the frustration win the battle.... I'd at least take the top horns into the other room and try them on the LaScalas. The 510 would work if you are at least on axis but, the 402 is the better horn. You could probably make this happen without moving anything BUT the top horns...just use some longgggggggggggggg speaker wire from your amps to the LaScalas.

All you'd need to do is bypass the inputs on the LaScalas and wire directly to the woofers with one line, string the 510/402 into the room on another speaker line and give it a whirl.

I wonder if the other room is simply a better room??

Don't give up yet as you have some fine ingredients in your hands.... we just need to get the recipe correct...

Micheal I am with you on this one. I had my Jubilees set up in place of my KPT-904/402 combination and spent 4 solid days trying to make them sound better that what I had with no sucess. I went back to the 904's and sold the Jubs and have been very happy. I dont beleive Jubs are for everyone.

Richard, the Hearth Room is the center of my home, I hope one day to remove most of the gear from their to install in a basement theater. Then new furniture and possibly only a pair of 63 cornwalls might remain. I'm undecided. I would never add anything to my beloved LS in terms of a visible modification because trust me, the speakers stick out enough in this room. The gallery room is where I've been trying to make a 2 channel room, it's out of the pathway and I can put whatever I want in there. True, the pine paneling and padded carpeting of the hearth room make it acoustically wonderful, but the gallery still has 1" plasterboard walls, the Cherry floor, and enough acoustic goodies and furniture to make it sound good as well. Heavy curtains over those massive windows might help a bit more as well. Although Jubilees are pushed into the corners they just don't energize the room with bass like my standard Klipschorns do. Having some listeners over this week, maybe I'm just losing my mind with all the little oddities and am getting too picky. Wonder what 'normal' folk would think of any of this?

Colterphoto1, That is disheartening to say the least, I have read so many rave reveiws, that this suprises me. You may want to post some pictures of your space. If you can get up to michigan? You can borrow my 402's, and use them for awhile, to see if the work better...

Pat, You moved to Michigan ?.....

Colterphoto1, That is disheartening to say the least, I have read so many rave reveiws, that this suprises me. You may want to post some pictures of your space. If you can get up to michigan? You can borrow my 402's, and use them for awhile, to see if the work better...

Pat, You moved to Michigan ?.....

Hey Cut Throat!!! Lets talk soon.... Didnt move to michigan, bought a pair of 402, K 69's for a project.. And figured if C1 was close by he could pick them up and try them out?

I have the 402 but thanks. Just found out the D75 amp I'm using for HF has very low output on one side. Out to the shop to drag in yet another amp. Maybe these are too efficient for anything but a boutique amp set or I'm just too picky or have just lost my mind. It's not fun anymore it's a chore. I just want to listen to music. Dean is coming over in a bit, maybe he can confuse me a bit more....

Maybe these are too efficient for anything but a boutique amp

Perhaps but remember....there are some folks here using K2's with good results. I know there are some on the forum that would use boutique as one of their last descriptions for a K2

[:D]

It's not fun anymore it's a chore. I just want to listen to music. Dean is coming over in a bit, maybe he can confuse me a bit more....

I felt this before, but as I set and just listen to music, I start to think how I could make it better. Don't give up sir, I am sure it will come to you.

As a side note...I got to thinking about my experience a bit...

Since the Jubilee is a 2-way, you're losing a crossover point relative to the Khorn. My experience is the Jubilee sounded better in the room, than the Khorn did at the same distance, in the room. In my circumstance, the Khorns required about 30 feet before they gelled into a single voice. Juiblee's, about ten feet.

I'd be willing to wager some Skyline Chili-dogs that something isn't right. This isn't to say that maybe you just don't dig the sound.... I guess that's always possible.

I'm really sorry to hear this, Michael. I'm glad Dean is coming over. Pardon my ignorance, but what's a D-75? If it's SS, how would a vintage Scott or Fisher sound? Tubes, ya' know, and sort of back to basics....

I'm increasingly convinced that playing at the supposed cutting edge isn't always satisfactory. I think Davis is right.

Michael, as i said earlier, when i bring my trailer over, i will help you do some cleaning around there. It sounds like it might be sooner than later.

I wouldnt trade my jubs for anything at this point, to much invested...and as i explained...my system isnt quite right yet either. Its a work in progress.

• Moderators

I'd be willing to wager some Skyline Chili-dogs that something isn't right. This isn't to say that maybe you just don't dig the sound.... I guess that's always possible

That is always possible especially since you have so many years listening to the Heritage sound and you don't listen at home as loud as when your at work.

I wonder if it could be the shape of the room, have you tried them on the short wall in that room, if I remember that room is really wide compared to the depth ?

It sounds strange because 4 drivers that size shouldn't have a problem with bass in almost any reasonable size room

I remember the Khorns having good bass in that room, but if Khorns are in the corners tight they will have good bass in almost any room.

I am also kind of biased about that room because I like the other room so much more [:$]

• Moderators

Maybe these are too efficient for anything but a boutique amp set or I'm just too picky or have just lost my mind.

That's funny, I just reread this and laughed when I read this part. I don't think you lost your mind, maby kept it fuzzy but not lost it, but I thought that was the goal ? [A]

Although Jubilees are pushed into the corners they just don't energize the room with bass like my standard Klipschorns do.

I am not the expert on these issues but have you tried the bass eq adjustments that are often talked about on these forums? After installing a new Van Alstine SS amp on my low end jub clones and applying some eq adjustments mine quite literally came alive with very nice bass.

Again not being an audio engineer, I have learned the value of getting the area of the crossover region right can have an impact on the low end. It took a little tweaking and literally turning down that area to allow the bass to come through. I guess its a balancing act. It took me a long time to find it.

Hang in there with the jubs. They are worth it.

not uncommon. I heard a few pairs and have seen quite a few folks unload them after buying them.....don't take this the wrong way but it seems if you like to play with settings and dive into very deep studio lingo then certainly the Jubs will keep you busy....but for plug and play...just too many variables to call this soup yet. I see the main issue is the elimination of the mid bass unit and mid range driver while at the same time using the tweeter driver as a mid driver on a mid horn. what a mess.