just.not.happy

colterphoto1

^^^ so nobody understood all that, huh?

Ok, then try this. Turn your back to the speakers and read a magazine, book or surf the net. while playing familiar music. Give it at least one or two cds worth. Turn around only when something grabs your attention. If that doesn't happen at least once or twice in 30 minutes, it may be wrong. Its a lot like listening with your eyes closed only your mind is on something else and your subconscious ear takes over and only notices the extraordinary.

Hope it helps.

^^^ so nobody understood all that, huh?

Ok, then try this. Turn your back to the speakers and read a magazine, book or surf the net. while playing familiar music. Give it at least one or two cds worth. Turn around only when something grabs your attention. If that doesn't happen at least once or twice in 30 minutes, it may be wrong. Its a lot like listening with your eyes closed only your mind is on something else and your subconscious ear takes over and only notices the extraordinary.

Hope it helps.

I totally agree with this. When I start getting restless about how my system sounds, it signals to me that it is time for new music. Not to offend anyone but when I moved on from the typical classic rock (that I am soooooo sick of) and started listening to music that was new to me, it again became about the music not the stereo. I have confidence that my equipment is very good. I have to keep in perspective that it IS about the music!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

All i can offer is that Starship Trooper never sounds bad on any system. Give it a whirl. 

Hope you’re able to make your entire pad you’re sweet spot. If not, wasn't it Ian Paice that told his sound guy, “Make everything louder than everything else.” sounds like good advice.

Steve

Edited by BigStewMan

I'm still happy running 402s (with DBB bass cabinets) on passive ALK networks.........no EQ in network.......and using an outboard DBX 1231 graphic EQ on the tape loop of my preamp.  Been doing it for years.  Tried and true..........EASY.........conventional.......100% flexibility........uses only 1 amp.......Sounds excellent..........and rivals the active method which requires a processor and multiple amps.  Virtually the same response can be created using the graphical EQ method as opposed to a digital processor.  Not exactly, but so close you can't tell.

Of course I have the digital active method going as well on my MCM setup and it is far more complicated.

Got the Jubilees up (see other thread) in my 2ch room that's housed all kinds of gear. Khorns, Jamo Concert 80 and some pretty good input sources. Still not pleased with the experience. I'm at a loss. Never use the room, the speakers sit idle as does the vinyl collection. Do I need to scrap it all and start over? Get a decorator and redo the room so it's more conducive to sitting and listening (maybe reading? the light it horrible in this room). I dunno. Maybe the hearth room LS and pretty good components is good enough and I don't need a dedicated hi-fi 2 ch setup as well. I just never go in there ya know?

maybe the jubs just arent for you -it happens or you are expecting too  much from them as they are -

Hi Colter, Normal Guy here checking in!  You give so much of your advice for free and have asked nothing back in return, but you did ask for some advice from a Normal Guy, so here I am, trying to give a little back.

I feel a little intimidated trying to offer advice to a guy who has forgotten ten times more stuff about audio than I ever knew, but here goes with what I hope is a little common sense.

Let's see, you have taken gigantic Klipsch pro speakers designed to fill an auditorium with sound, and stuffed them into your living room.

Could the speakers be too big for the room? 

Don't get overly technical on me here, my friend, that question should be answered with either a Yes or a No.  When I bring large speakers into the house, my wife has no problem telling me they are too big for the living room.  B)

Let's see, you have taken gigantic Klipsch pro speakers designed to fill an auditorium with sound, and stuffed them into your living room.

Could the speakers be too big for the room? 

Dear Normal Guy...

The Jubilee was actually designed for residential use.  Yep....as in designed to be used in the home.  Only because it was So good, was it able to stand tall in the cinema lineup.

Remember, it was originally planned to become the Klipschorn II.

That said, it could still be too big for his room (but I'd say it's not having seen his room)

So Normal Guy....  nice try at being normal.  You can go back to your OCD Klipsch loving self again so we can all relate with you.

:blink:

• Like 1

Got the Jubilees up (see other thread) in my 2ch room that's housed all kinds of gear. Khorns, Jamo Concert 80 and some pretty good input sources. Still not pleased with the experience. I'm at a loss. Never use the room, the speakers sit idle as does the vinyl collection. Do I need to scrap it all and start over? Get a decorator and redo the room so it's more conducive to sitting and listening (maybe reading? the light it horrible in this room). I dunno. Maybe the hearth room LS and pretty good components is good enough and I don't need a dedicated hi-fi 2 ch setup as well. I just never go in there ya know?

if your  theater room can do both hifi and multi- channel  , why not as long as it fits - you might enjoy it even more as you are already very confortable there

Edited by Randyh

my 2ch room that's housed all kinds of gear...

Still not pleased with the experience...

Never use the room, the speakers sit idle as does the vinyl collection.

I just never go in there

Serious yet dumb question with a bit of explanation, and don't take this the wrong way but I'm genuinely curious:

So I like home theater. I can justify expensive audio equipment because you kind of have to fill a room full of people with sound, coming from all directions. Plus, subs are just fun. The whole thing is fun, we like to go in there all the time.

I can understand car audio, or a DJ/band equipment, or even a living room party. It's a social experience, people moving around, etc. Plus, you know... subs.

On the other hand, I don't know much about the audiophile world. However, I keep seeing people spend all kinds of money when it is mostly just them listening to it, and there's often not any obnoxious bass that would require a huge sub setup. Seems that there usually isn't anybody except for them in the room, it is often dedicated, and everything comes from the same two speakers, pointed at the same listening position.

Anyway, my question is, why wouldn't most serious two-channel listeners be perfectly happy with a high end set of headphones? :) It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier, no room acoustics to dink with, no dedicated room, no huge subs, no WAF, no expensive power amps, etc., etc., etc. What exactly is there to gain from a high-end single-seat dedicated two-channel setup that a real nice set of headphones can't provide? I've heard details on headphones that I have never heard anywhere else and cannot reproduce for the life of me. What are you chasing beyond that?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Mark,

I agree that the complications of "operating" the K402 horn in a home environment were daunting at first.  Until I figured the thing out like anything else.  I have been using your Peach as a preamp for a K-402 system for years (preamp mentioned in post above), with passive networks, and a single amp.  About as basic as you can get.  Things can be simplified and enjoyed.

Some have figured this out but the information doesn't get shared that often.

" Anyway, my question is, why wouldn't most serious two-channel listeners be perfectly happy with a high end set of headphones? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier, no room acoustics to dink with, no dedicated room, no huge subs, no WAF, no expensive power amps, etc., etc., etc. What exactly is there to gain from a high-end single-seat dedicated two-channel setup that a real nice set of headphones can't provide? I've heard details on headphones that I have never heard anywhere else and cannot reproduce for the life of me. What are you chasing beyond that?"

Metro,

Headphones simply can't produce "The Slam Factor."   Impact.  Like a boot to the chest at volume.   

My wife describes our two-channel system as .....Physical.......

tc

• Like 2

Metro,

Headphones simply can't produce "The Slam Factor."   Impact.  Like a boot to the chest at volume.   

My wife describes our two-channel system as .....Physical.......

tc

I'm well aware of how kick drums to the chest feels and enjoy it quite a bit, but that doesn't seem to be how most audiophiles listen to stuff, many tend to match the volume with that of a live UNAMPLIFIED performance and even if they have a sub they go to great lengths to make sure you never know it's there. No reason why headphones can't do this if that's how you listen to stuff. If you're a fan of shaking the house with subs then yeah I understand completely, but that doesn't seem to usually be the case with serious listeners.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Dear Normal Guy...

The Jubilee was actually designed for residential use.  Yep....as in designed to be used in the home.  Only because it was So good, was it able to stand tall in the cinema lineup.

Remember, it was originally planned to become the Klipschorn II.

That said, it could still be too big for his room (but I'd say it's not having seen his room)

So Normal Guy....  nice try at being normal.  You can go back to your OCD Klipsch loving self again so we can all relate with you.

:blink:

LOL!  Thanks for being gentle with me!  :lol:

+++

I'm not as smart as you think I am.  :rolleyes:  I got my information off Klipsch's web page about the Jublilee and it was Klipsch who suggested it be used in auditoriums.  I didn't know it was originally designed to be a Khorn replacement for home use.  It looks huge!

KPT-Jubilee_535_-_Angled_635278177349100

With auditorium space at a premium the Jubilee low-frequency device with its 24-inch depth is the ultimate space-saving solution. Developed by audio pioneer Paul W. Klipsch in 2001 this dual 12-inch loudspeaker system couples the horn-loaded woofers with the KPT-402-MF mid-bass Tractrix Horn coupled to the Klipsch K-1133 two-inch exit titanium compression driver. The high frequencies are easily handled by the KPT-Grand-HF-T Tractrix Horn.

http://www.klipsch.com/KPT-Jubilee-535-B

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

They are huge, no, massive....the thing that strikes you first visually is the gigantic mid horn, it absolutely takes over the room....no matter what size room....The musical reproduction is crystal clear, almost too much for me.  I think in the right room, with the right treatments, proper gear and material, they are absolutely second to none.  Given that, in the wrong room, etc, etc, they accentuate the negatives about the environment.  

• Like 1