just.not.happy

colterphoto1

Guest David H
The strength of the active method is the level of control it gives you. The weakness is the level of control it gives you -- you spend a lot of time second guessing yourself.

That sums up actives nicely, also why I went back to passives.

Dave

Hey Metropolis,

I don't know if I would be described as an "audiophile" but my system is primarily for music with movies being secondary and I LOVE BIG, HEAVY (but it has to be nice and clean and accurate) BASS. In fact, even with four subs I still find it slightly lacking in my current room when compared to just one RSW 15 in my previous room/house.

On big speakers in small rooms. If the room is a compromise why compromise the speaker? I've used and heard Heresy Belles Khorns and Jubs in a small to medium rooms. Bigger speaker = gooder.

Headphones are cool. I could get into that....

• Like 1

Anyway, my question is, why wouldn't most serious two-channel listeners be perfectly happy with a high end set of headphones? :) It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier, no room acoustics to dink with, no dedicated room, no huge subs, no WAF, no expensive power amps, etc., etc., etc. What exactly is there to gain from a high-end single-seat dedicated two-channel setup that a real nice set of headphones can't provide? I've heard details on headphones that I have never heard anywhere else and cannot reproduce for the life of me. What are you chasing beyond that?

Some here, Joesportster for one, prefer high end headphones.  I can only listen through buds or cans for brief periods of time.  While often stunning, it's a music inside the head experience, not a recreation of live music.

The most important difference is feeling the bass.  My four 25Hz tapped horn subs produce a palpable bass sensation, as well as excellent musical bass.  Hearing /feeling a plucked stand-up bass, kick drum, low piano notes etc. is better than just hearing the same through phones.

I came to the conclusion that serious 2-channel listening (one person in the sweet spot, just as you described) never takes place while a movie is being watched.  Therefore, the 2-channel and HT now occupy the same space and share some of the same components.

On another note.

Michael-

Do you still have the Heresy pair with the Crites CT125s?  How do you like the CT125s?

Edited by DizRotus

Metro,

Headphones simply can't produce "The Slam Factor."   Impact.  Like a boot to the chest at volume.   

My wife describes our two-channel system as .....Physical.......

tc

I'm well aware of how kick drums to the chest feels and enjoy it quite a bit, but that doesn't seem to be how most audiophiles listen to stuff, many tend to match the volume with that of a live UNAMPLIFIED performance and even if they have a sub they go to great lengths to make sure you never know it's there. No reason why headphones can't do this if that's how you listen to stuff. If you're a fan of shaking the house with subs then yeah I understand completely, but that doesn't seem to usually be the case with serious listeners.

I run DBB bass bins like Mark 1101's.  There is no need for a sub. 

But I do understand what you say.  Too many 2-channel listeners misuse Subs. They should be used as a seamless fill and not dominate.... just to shake the walls.  

Very few subs sound musical to me in the home system.  Music is more demanding than say a gas truck exploding. 

Big 2-channel systems are like owning a hot sport car to me.  Not always, but there are times that ya just gotsta to punch it!

sorry for any hijack Mike

• Like 3

• Moderators
They are huge, no, massive....the thing that strikes you first visually is the gigantic mid horn, it absolutely takes over the room....no matter what size room..

There really only mid size for home use, and that's just from what people here on the forum have ........... But there still not small your right. :)

Michaels fine he just needs to defrost a litle,  it's been really cold in Indy, - degrees many time this winter, I couldn't take it. :huh:  

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

I have always liked the way jubs look, procuring them is a challenge, Going with EAWs was a hard choice, performance wise im not sorry, it does take a wile to get over their 8' high 4' wide looks.

And yes, i walk/bump into them weekly.

Would like to own a pair someday, the wife would end up with them in her system, id like her to compare with Khorns.

I have always liked the way jubs look, procuring them is a challenge

This is meant for a casual reader, not back to you Mark.

Procuring the Jubilee is no more difficult than making maybe two phone calls and whipping out your credit card.  Several weeks later, they will magically appear at your driveway in nice new boxes.  Note that this comment has nothing to do with perhaps hearing them first.  That can be a challenge, depending on where someone lives.  Ordering them however, is pretty easy.

you buy something without hearing it, based on what someone thinks about the product on this forum, you cant make it work/sound how people say it does, even after reaching out for help/solution, it is best to let it go, sell it, take the loss, preserve your sanity, MANY OF US HAVE DONE THAT ON THIS FORUM, live and learn and remember for future purchases

Just sell the speakers and be happy.

Oh Hell No! 

you buy something without hearing it, based on what someone thinks about the product on this forum, you cant make it work/sound how people say it does, even after reaching out for help/solution, it is best to let it go, sell it, take the loss, preserve your sanity, MANY OF US HAVE DONE THAT ON THIS FORUM, live and learn and remember for future purchases

Bought my Khorns without listening Many Moons Ago.  

Maybe because Seller had a good reputation here on the Forum.  Surely Private email and telephone helped make me comfortable.

There seems to be a difference between Headphones and a good Stereo set-up with Speakers.  At times I need to keep the volume down so I don't disturb others. 

Headphones sound clearer I think,  BUT sometimes I just want to Feel the music,

• Like 1