just.not.happy

colterphoto1

I am not sure I would have ever gotten happy with the Jubilees without going to a passive crossover and going to an HF driver that does not require so much EQ on the K-402 horn.

Remind me which driver was that?

I used the Faital HF-200 driver.

I continue to follow this thread with great interest, as the experience of some is/was very different from my experience, leading me to wonder if more attention should be paid to tweeking the room as apposed to, or before, tweeking the settings.

It has been suggested that Roy's chamber settings are/were "ideal". I would tend to agree with that statement, as the settings were established in the chamber, absent any room anomallies. As with PA settings, any tweeking of the system beyond the "ideal" is to compensate for deficiencies in the environment.

For years, I listened to my beloved '78 K-horns in a room that was acoustically treated and "neutral". The crossovers were upgraded/replaced with BEC AA's with a marked improvement in the HF response compared to the OEM antique caps.

THEN, the Jubiless were moved into the same room and powered with Roy's "ideal" setting on a Crown XTI-1000. I placed one Jubilee in a corner previously occupied by one of the K's. The other K-horn remained in place and was powered by a second XTi-1000 and the K's passive crossover.

The Jubilee sounded MUCH better than the K. There was less distortion in the LF and a breathless realism in the HF that made the beloved K sound almost nasal in comparison. I switched corners and compared the Jub and K on both long wall and short wall. In each position, the Jub clearly bested the K . . . . . . .in my room. Can the Jubs be improved with better, more costly drivers or more exotic electronics? Without a doubt. But, at what cost?

I can only speak from my experience. Imho, I think some attention paid, first, to environmental considerations, before too much time is spent in tweeking, might prove interesting and fruitful.

When I first got my 402s I used ALK ESNs with no EQ in the network. I was using a DBX 1231 graphic and I thought that combination was terrific. I could change the EQ for any situation, room, driver, music, didn't matter, very flexible solution and easy to adjust. Putting the EQ in the network.........better be perfect, cause your stuck!

Michael,

This has become confused and muddy. It sounds like some things have gotten better and then there have been some tangents taken in the other threads. So let's focus.

My perspective: I have used K-Horns and Jubilees in the same room (standard configuration of drivers etc). The Jubilees sound better. My statement is not qualified. They simply sound better. The bass section has a cleaner and stronger sound. The high end has a remarkable clarity and detail. The overal effect was remarkable.

Since we both have (as others have also) experience with K-Horns and Jubilees in the same room, let's use that as a reference. What specific deficits are you hearing with your Jubilees? Are there things that the K-Horns actually do better? Are you confident that the crossovers are setup correctly (let's not yet get involved with room correction via the crossover setup)?

This is all solvable. Unless we live in a very different universes, then the Jubilee will sound very good. Right now something is not right.

Michael,

Like Tom, I'm puzzled, too. One day it's finally all right, and the next it's not. Meanwhile, I, Gary, and Marty have been quite content for a long time with music on our systems.

What setups have sounded good to you and are what you really like, where you can forget the systems (speakers, TT's, CDP) and mostly focus on the music? Gary's Corns and Scott 299, and his K-horn/VRD/Basis are nearly the envy of the forum. My esoteric setup is very musical, as are Marty's 2 (or more) systems. Note that every one of these is ALL TUBE.

I'd like to hear your reaction to your K's and jubilees with a Scott 299.

Larry

Michael, Like Tom, I'm puzzled, too. One day it's finally all right, and the next it's not. Meanwhile, I, Gary, and Marty have been quite content for a long time with music on our systems.

I became completely content with my system when I started riding my dirt bike more and then got a road bike. Never have the urge to upgrade anymore and love the way the system sounds. Power tools and home improvement projects also helped.

Serious advice to consider.

It's all about gain structure, isn't it? I'll get a photo of the settings on here in a minute, but it boiled down to staying with the program and not being afraid to tweak a few knobs, possibly in another direction than the other fellas. Ok, I'm still running mono for now in order to compare the Jubilees with my Khorns. So I have two DX programs, the left side is KHJ/K402/K69 with all Roy's PEQ and 32Hz bass boost, the only change is that IN1 and IN2 are each receiving IN1+2 iow Mono. Another DX voice is straight, no PEQ, no xover, but mono as well - for the Khorns. I'd been having difficulty with levels and the amount of amp noise. So cranked it. Everything in the path. DX Inputs at max (which is actually Unity 0, gee that was easy). I'd always noticed that with my amps/Jubes/Room that they were always bass-shy in comparison to Khorns, so leaned towards the LF on the output side. I pumped the LF output past the center detent -6 position to 'full blast' (also Unity or 0, a no-brainer) HF output to -3, still above where I'd had it. . I want to operate my Preamp at 'nominal' levels so set it about 30-50% (-30 db to -20 db) on the scale. So basically with leaving the DX38 front panel knobs at 12:00, center detent I was reducing the input by 6 db and the outputs by 6 db. That's a damn lotta db. Tested with Khorn and a PS200 set at about 2:00 (full blast, then back off enough to reduce noise floor to 0 with DX outputs muted). So far so good. Now punch in the DX program for Jubilees and do the same thing. Amps at the -20db setting feels right, can back off the HF Crown D75a to even less than that, which lessens hiss even further. I can use the DX outputs or amp outputs to adjust the relative levels of HF/LF (much different that the bass/treble controls on receiver) These systems can obtain 85 db on either setup at these settings and by pushing the pre-amp to 12:00 can reach an nearly uncomfortable 95dbA before amps display an occasional blip of clip. Now I have two listenable mono setup in the same room, each speaker in it's 'normal' configuration in terms of Xover and PEQ. Time for a nice Diet Dew and some listening. ELP Return of the Manticore vol 2 is on the Ah! cd player right now.

Sorry that does look horribly run-on. Think I've been talking to Ben too much lol. My computer doesn't like to make paragraphs here, I need to sort that out next I suppose. No, I think I'm finally getting these not only dialed in, but am capable of piloting the Space Shuttle.