RS-62 or RB-81?

rayians

Very shortly I'll be replacing my surround speakers in my 7.1 home theater setup. The front 3 are comprised of 2 RF-83's and an RC-64. For the surrounds, I am torn between the RS-62's and RB-81's. I am wondering if anyone has had both speakers and has an opinion of which sound best. Placement and direction are irrevelant as I found a swiveling LCD ceiling mount with an adjustable drop that I plan to use to mount either speaker.

Thanks very much for your help!

Well are you talking about the side surrounds or rear surrounds? If sides then go with the 62's as they are designed for side use 1-2 feet behind the listening position. Then go with a bookshelf for the surround rears as they can be a more directional speaker. Take a look at my signature and you'll see how mine is layer out.

I have a 5.1 setup which is similar .83's as fronts, 64ii center, and rb75 s as surrounds. Scrappydue has given you good advice. If I had my druthers I think I would prefer to have the rs series as surrounds in a 5.1 setup. The rb-75's sound really good , but are very directional( and large). My room makes setting them up on the difficult side, only 2 seats have the true benefit of enveloping surround sound.

Guess where I sit?

• 2 weeks later...

this comes up a lot. there is another post concerning RS-42 vs. RB-61.

both speakers will work. one will simply work better. it's all about how far the speakers are from you. i'm willing to bet 99% of the people will suggest RS series for the SIDE surrounds without question. the REAR surrounds are always the topic of discussion.

what to look for.... how far is the center position (sweet spot) from the rear surrounds? if your seated position is either against that wall or as far as 4' away, then a RS series should work best. if your seated position is greater than 4' from the wall, a RB series should work best. there is only 1 way to be 100% positive which speaker actually does work best. buy both sets, and have a fun time listening to both.

when the RB series is too close to you, the sound seems to shoot over you and ruin the "surround" effect. unless the speakers have to mounted in a specific location, experiment with the vertical position of them. in my case, my side's were at 48" and my rear's at 42". that gave me the best results. moving the speaker 6" either up or down, seemed to "turn them off". since every room is different, there is no hard fast measurement that works for everyone.

anyways, i hope this helps.

My theater is a good size, about 28' wide x 38' long. I'm planning to mount the back surrounds approximately 10' from the main listening position. I've come up with this LCD mount to mount all of my 4 rear surrounds, as the main seating area is considerably off from the center of the room and the distance to the nearest wall is considerably different left to right. As you can see these swivel, have adjustable drop, hold over 60lbs, and are under $30 to door each. With this in mind, I can basically mount any of the 4 surrounds anywhere I want, with a good bit of adjustment in the drop, and aim them wherever I choose.

Mount

My theater is a good size, about 28' wide x 38' long. I'm planning to mount the back surrounds approximately 10' from the main listening position. I've come up with this LCD mount to mount all of my 4 rear surrounds, as the main seating area is considerably off from the center of the room and the distance to the nearest wall is considerably different left to right. As you can see these swivel, have adjustable drop, hold over 60lbs, and are under $30 to door each. With this in mind, I can basically mount any of the 4 surrounds anywhere I want, with a good bit of adjustment in the drop, and aim them wherever I choose.

Mount

If I had not just sold my RS sides and RB rears, I would love to have bought you wall stands! Looks like a great design. IMHO, if you have a small, tight HT, with only a couple of seating positions, then the RB61s would work best as directional rears. But for a large room with more than four seating positions not all centered, the RS62s give a wider dispersion to cover more area. Just my 2 cents.

this comes up a lot. there is another post concerning RS-42 vs. RB-61.

both speakers will work. one will simply work better. it's all about how far the speakers are from you. i'm willing to bet 99% of the people will suggest RS series for the SIDE surrounds without question. the REAR surrounds are always the topic of discussion.

what to look for.... how far is the center position (sweet spot) from the rear surrounds? if your seated position is either against that wall or as far as 4' away, then a RS series should work best. if your seated position is greater than 4' from the wall, a RB series should work best. there is only 1 way to be 100% positive which speaker actually does work best. buy both sets, and have a fun time listening to both.

when the RB series is too close to you, the sound seems to shoot over you and ruin the "surround" effect. unless the speakers have to mounted in a specific location, experiment with the vertical position of them. in my case, my side's were at 48" and my rear's at 42". that gave me the best results. moving the speaker 6" either up or down, seemed to "turn them off". since every room is different, there is no hard fast measurement that works for everyone.

anyways, i hope this helps.

Raylans . . . +1 on inVeNtOR's advice . . . Buy both sets and listen to what you like. Then, if,you like 4 RS setup, just move the RBs to heights finish for a 9.1 setup . . . Better yet, try to borrow a friend's RB and RS speakers and audition them before you buy. Neither are so heavy that it would be overly troublesome to audition a friend's speakers to try differing configuration. I am running an 11.1 setup and like it. Well, I need one more matching Martin Logan Depth i sub. :-). I am on the lookout for a pre-owned one. I enjoy wides and heights too. Not a lot comes out of wides and heights, depending on your AVR setting, but that little bit extra out of,wides and heights (I am using heights for movies and wides for music) has been worth it to me. All the best in making your final setup decision. You have a fun problem to figure out. :-)