My weekend for upgrades in the basement!

n8g

Updated pics below!

This is how my system looked a year ago. This was the carry over from the college days. Yamaha speakers and an entry level Sony receiver with 1 digital input.

Posted Image

Then about a year ago I upgraded. Klipsch RF-82 II surround package.

Posted Image

Then a couple months ago I upgraded again! Klipsch SW-115

Posted Image

Then another upgrade. Integra DTR-70.2

Posted Image

Which brings us to today.

Posted Image

NOW TIME FOR THE UPGRADES!!!! I will post pics as I work.

Sanus Woodbrook 66" rack

LG 60PA6500 plasma

On order is a Panamax 5300-PM for protection and cleaning. It should be in sometime next week.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Very nice, you have made some big changes. [Y]

One thing you may want to do if at all possible is get the speakers spread out and not tight on the tv, it will sound totally different, the further apart the better, the center channel will fill in. I know it's not always convienent but it will sound much better with a much bigger sound.

Sorry can't help myself [:$]..................but it's true. [:D]

Updates so far:

Installed a PS Audio Power Port

Posted Image

Unpacked and built the Sanus rack

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Figuring out where I wanted to put the equipment took some time. The Sanus Woodbrook rack is discontinued and comes with only 2 glass door inserts. I like to look at the equipment to see time on the cable box as well as the audio format for the reciever. Plus, after spending a few buck on nice equipment, I want to look at it and show it off to people when they come over.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cherry finish of the RF-82s looks like crap next to the rack. I plan on changing speakers this spring when Paradigm comes out with the new Studio series so I the front three will all be black.

• Like 1

I am finished for now. Before I got the rack I was looking at 2 different racks. The one I did not buy allowed me to put the center channel in thecenter of the stand. This rack does not allow me to put the speaker in the center. It will sound better but I did not buy a mount for the TV. So for now I don't have a center channel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did not put the backs on the rack because I still have to mount the TV. I put in a URC RF dimmer as well.

My temporary surge strip and cable box.

Posted Image

I left the bottom middle spot open for my next upgade but I need the funds to build a little bit. Who can guess what it is?

Posted Image

My somewhat beastly receiver and bluray player. It allows me to bridge the fronts and surround back channels.

Posted Image

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since my last post I have been busy. I mounted the TV, installed my Panamax power conditioner, and a 5 channel Parasound amp!

I'll start with the TV mount. I ordered a Sanus FMS (furniture mount system). I had to modify my A/V cabinet a little to get it to work with the Sanus Woodbrook rack. I knew this going into the project so I had some 2x4s ready to go. I had to add the wood to space the stand off the top of the rack.

IMG_2771_zpsd49fef2f.jpg

Next step was to do some simple measuring to figure out height,

IMG_2772_zps301784fa.jpg

It was pretty easy to figure out. I referred to the manual to know which tiny bolts went where.

Final product:

IMG_2776_zps76154ce9.jpg
IMG_2793_zps76a7abad.jpg
IMG_2778_zpsf704d41c.jpg
  • Like 1

first of all Congrats on your new setup. theirs nothing like being the original owner and opening new gear instead of buying used. you say the finish on the 82's looks like crap next to the audio rack is because the finish is Vinyl, not real cherry veneer. did you know this before purchasing???

RF-7ii's B-stock cherry veneer would look awesome next that audio rack

I knew they were vinyl. I guess I should say the color is the issue. I don't have any cherry anywhere else in the house. I was originally going to go with black furniture and cherry speakers but the RC-62 II in cherry was backordered for at least a month when I purchased the new speakers. So I settled for the black center which is the reason they are mismatched. Then my wife and I decided to go with mocha furniture. Now the cherry clashes with the rest of the furniure.

I have been searching for different speakers that are slightly smaller in gloss black, but I really love the way the system sounds right now so I have been delaying the purchase. I would love toget the RF-7 IIs and RC-64II but they are too large for my wife to accept. My only issue with Klipsch is that the only way to "upgrade" is to buy larger speakers!

• Like 1

• Moderators

My only issue with Klipsch is that the only way to "upgrade" is to buy larger speakers!

That's not an issue with Klipsch, that's an issue with mere physics. Typically, moving to smaller speakers will not yield a better quality in sound. The exception to the rule might be going from the entry level Synergy floorstanding speakers to the smaller Palladium bookshelf speakers. The only company that I know that promotes smaller is better is BOSE.