RS-42 Placement - how far from sitting area

sexhero

Hello,

My first post here, and I did search the forum! But no thread seemed to address my question.

I am thinking between RB-61 or RS-42 for my rear surrouds for 5.1 system to match RF-62 fronts which I will be getting next month. I read that RS-42s are great surround speakers, but my issue is that my couch will be against the wall and mounting surround speakers on side walls is not an option. So, what is the minimum distance from the sitting area you would need to mount RS-42s on back wall? Is it ok to mount them on back wall when my couch is against the wall?

Also, I might upgrade my fronts to RF-82s. Would RS-42s be suitable for RF-82 fronts? Should I be getting RS-52s or even 62s instead?

Thanks in advance for your help.

sexhero

i look forward to hearing any real experience with this situation

I have the same setup - our couch is against the back wall and I now have to suffer with way too small surrounds sitting on the window sill... :(

to me the difference between the RF 62 and 82 is not THAT much and really not needed if you have a quality sub. Unless pushed very hard you wont know a difference.

the RS42s should be fine either way especially since you dont have enough space behind the sitting area (same as myself)

ousig,

Thanks for your input. I was actually very reluctant to go any higher than RS42s, because even RS52s would cost more than RF62s..and RS62s would cost more than RF-82s lol. I should just get RS42s and see how they sound first!

What kind of surround set up do you have now? and was there a big difference from RC52 to RC62?

i look forward to hearing any real experience with this situation

I have the same setup - our couch is against the back wall and I now have to suffer with way too small surrounds sitting on the window sill... :(

to me the difference between the RF 62 and 82 is not THAT much and really not needed if you have a quality sub. Unless pushed very hard you wont know a difference.

the RS42s should be fine either way especially since you dont have enough space behind the sitting area (same as myself)

first off welcome! This is a great place with good people! Let me answer your question first off by saying that will your speakers be in the optimal place on the wall basically over your head? No. Will it work? Yes. We work with what we can. As long as you can hear them they will be doing their job. +1 on what was said above. You will not notice a difference between 62's and 82's if you have a descent sub. Make sure you spend the dough a good center Channel and a good sub. Don't skimp on those. I would go with the rf-62/ rc-62/ rs-42. Sub from svs, hsu, rythmik. One of those companies will do you right with a great sub. Rs-42's also will keep up just fine. I ran them with my rf-82's that I had and even with my rf-63's for a while. Also sat as close as you are describing. Last but not least. Since you are new here I am going to assume you are setting a budget and looking at prices in store or online. Well let me tell you since no one else has that dealers will beat the prices online by a large margin!!! So if you are budgeting for msrp rf-62 home theater I promise if you know who to call you can have the rf-82 home theater for the same or less than what you thought you were gonna spend. I'll provide a link to a fellow forum member who just became a dealer. He can steer you in the right direction.

I did a complete write up on these two as surrounds.

Long story short...

RB-61 > 4'

RS-42 < 4'

If the RB series is too close the sound "shoots" over your head. The RS series does a better job closer to u.

I personally recommend (couch on the wall) RS series. I wouldn't use a RB series unless the couch was at least 6' away. That way a diagonal dimension would possible be around 10' away.

Since you are new here I am going to assume you are setting a budget and looking at prices in store or online. Well let me tell you since no one else has that dealers will beat the prices online by a large margin!!! So if you are budgeting for msrp rf-62 home theater I promise if you know who to call you can have the rf-82 home theater for the same or less than what you thought you were gonna spend.

+1

Audioholics is a good place to go as well.

Inventor,

Can you share a link to your review?

ok, i just spent i don't know how long searching for it, but i can't find it. i'll try and keep it short.

basically i had RB-61's as rears in my 7.1. during movies i almost couldn't hear any rear effects. i played a THX demo to confirm the lack of "audible" sound. i had a friend come over (falcon20x) with a pair of RS-52's to swap out the 61's. with out a doubt, the RS series gave a better performance. my living room had 1 open side (RH side open to the kitchen) and was 16' x 16'. the RB series did sound pretty good, but i had to move the couch almost 8' from the back wall. since this wasn't an option, i purchased a pair of RS-42's to replace the 61's. (Falcon actually purchased them in about 5 minutes after leaving my house, i couldn't believe how fast he found them!)

another side note. i had a different friend over to do another test. i have 4ea RS-42 speakers set up 90 degrees from center, and 135 degrees from center. they were all at the exact same height of 48" (bottom of speaker). with out moving the speakers in any direction except vertical, i could give the illusion of turning them on and off.

when the side surrounds were at 40", those effects were almost inaudible. when the rears were at 48" they too were inaudible. my guinea pig couldn't understand (me too) how it was even possible. honestly i don't care, so i chose the best height for the position. in my case, the sides were at 48" and the rears at 42".

i used 2x4's and made make shift stands until i found the right height.

that's it in a nut shell.