RS-62 Mounting

dreadedphoto

I've got a really high vaulted ceiling and I'll have to mount my RS-62's up in the corners of my living room. I've found the recommended Omnimount 30.0 WAB mounts to angle them down towards the seating area, but I'm wondering if finding a stud is absolutely necessary? 25 pounds doesn't seem like THAT much.

do you have a 1 story where you can access the area above where you are wanting to mount them? if so you can add a 2x4 in between the studs behind the drywall to increase the support.

25 lbs of dead weight hanging down seems too much for me to be comfortable with.

not like a picture that has very little outward force when hanging

YES they MUST be mounted into a frame member. At the top of the wall should be a double 2x4 plate so you should have 3.5 " of wood up there. DO NOT MOUNT DIRECTLY TO DRYWALL! That Omnimount is going to extend the weight out away from the wall, so the pullout tension will be far greater than just a speaker pulling downwards (shear strength) on the fastner and drywall. NO NO NO don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have successfully mounted my RS-62s into drywall. The perfect location did not have a stud. Here is what I did. Get the following drywall anchors, with the largest screw head that can be hooked by the speaker mounting bracket (it may not be the size I linked below). Notice the anchor is metal not plastic.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Anchors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc2e5Z1z0y7ic/R-100234590/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.URLR0vKt0a4

Mount the anchor as directed (I think I did drill a small pilot hole first). Now for the crucial addition because the anchor does not often get secured rigidly and can wiggle around in the hole--get JB Weld epoxy and apply a thin coating (after mixing) that covers the anchor flange and some of the drywall. If the anchor does wobble put some JB Weld between the anchor flange and the wall too. Note do not get JB Weld in the tapped hole of the anchor for the screw (the epoxy will flow a little due to gravity). Let this harden overnight. Once hardened you can use the screw as normal by not screwing the screw in all the way, the speaker mounting bracket can hook the screw head. In my case the screw could not be screwed in the perfect amount whereby the screwed head got hooked but the rubber pads were snuggly on the wall because hooking the screw head was difficult. I just used (pieces of) cardboard beer coasters to shim the excess space until the rubber pads held the coaster pieces in place and the speaker did not wobble.

I have used JB Weld a few times when drywall anchors by themselves did not hold well enough (or rigidly enough). It sticks to drywall, or more specifically paint, very well.

I linked to the wrong anchor, although that one may work better.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Anchors-Knotting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc2ey/R-202527081/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.URLcqvKt0a4

The one I used had wings because the reason I had trouble hooking the screw head is that the screw would get pushed into the hole when I was "fishing" to get the speaker hooked. Using the JB Weld still is the same. I think my conclusion was using the anchor from the original link would have been better.