Eliptrac 400 + Radian 950PB

coolhandjjl

Trying to see if I like the Eliptrac 400 as a two-way with the Radian 950PB. According to Al at US Speaker, that driver with its aluminum diaphram is supposed to be the cat's meow as a two way in both high fidelity home use and pro use. Here are two graphs, one spectrum, the other with 1/3 octave smoothing. Response really falls off at 6kHz. Do drivers need a break-in period? Before I call Al, I'd like to trouble shoot here first.

post-56162-13819828060356_thumb.jpg

Pink noise with REW software, RTA measurements at 10'. Mic moved all around, this is the most even output. All preamp controls flat, no eq. Do I simply have to boost the bejeebers out of my highs on my preamp? With the impressive smooth graph from Radian of that driver, I thought I could get the same with flat controls.

I have no titanium diaphram drivers test against.

It is always a combination of driver and horn. Not every driver performs as well on every horn. I could show lots of examples where there was a horn I wanted to use with a certain driver that just would not work with that horn. But, there would be another horn that the driver worked well with and another driver worked well on that horn.

You can bet that when Radian tested their driver for their published curve, they matched it up with a compatible horn.

Bob

It is always a combination of driver and horn. Not every driver performs as well on every horn. I could show lots of examples where there was a horn I wanted to use with a certain driver that just would not work with that horn. But, there would be another horn that the driver worked well with and another driver worked well on that horn.

You can bet that when Radian tested their driver for their published curve, they matched it up with a compatible horn.

Bob

They call that Cherry Pickin' around here !

I slapped driver , horn combo's together off posted MFGer graphs years ago & I never got a good mix that sounded any where good , I leave that now to the professionals like Bob

Indoor measurements. I re-read today at 1 meter, dead center. I scaled my chart to match Bob's chart for EZ visual comparison. (Just a little less SPL, I forgot my hearing protection.)

Flat, I see a 10dB drop starting after 5kHz. That is the green line.

The blue is with graphic EQ boost of 10dB at 7680Hz, and 12dB at 15.5Hz.

I haven't heard back from US Speaker yet, I'll call today. Al told me he'd guarantee I'd be satisfied with the drivers, so I may have to take him up on it and look at the Faital.

post-56162-13819828113556_thumb.jpg

There is either something wrong in the way you are measuring or there is something wrong with the drivers. I'm curious, why do you have a crossover in the system? You should be taking a raw measurement - microphone right at the mouth of the horn.

There is either something wrong in the way you are measuring or there is something wrong with the drivers. I'm curious, why do you have a crossover in the system? You should be taking a raw measurement - microphone right at the mouth of the horn.

Won' t sending full range signal to that driver damage it?

I'm a damn fool. I've been out of the game too long. Of course, you need to protect the driver(s). With a passive network, I used to disconnect the other drivers, terminate the network with resistors, and then measure. Shame on Radian for not telling us anything about the horn they used. At any rate, take the measurement with the microphone right at the mouth of the horn. At 10 feet you're not measuring the horn, you're measuring the room! It would be a shame to have to send those back. I use the 1" version, and the high end is simply gorgeous. I listen to titanium diaphragms now and the scratchy zingy quality gets pretty irritating after a while.

Guest David H

Pink noise with REW software, RTA measurements at 10'. Mic moved all around, this is the most even output. All preamp controls flat, no eq. Do I simply have to boost the bejeebers out of my highs on my preamp? With the impressive smooth graph from Radian of that driver, I thought I could get the same with flat controls.

I have no titanium diaphram drivers test against.

Are you using a calibration file with that mic? I seriously doubt the Radian 950 needs the HF boost. How does it sound?

I use REW, True RTA and ARTA, I get strange measurements from REW so I switched to ARTA, and got much better results. I dont think there is an issue with REW, I think its just a learning curve.

Dave