Eliptrac 400 + Radian 950PB

coolhandjjl

Could I ask what the Radian 950 actually sounded like on the Eliptrac 400 without a tweeter?

I was planning on using this combination myself and have exchanged emails with someone who consulted with Radian on the development of the 950 and I was told the Radian 950 'sports' a lot less artefacts, and other distortion components and will in some measurements look less impressive but it was also stated that the original proto-type had flat extension to 19kHz. Not sure which measurements he was referring to but not sure what to do now after seeing this thread as I was hoping to leave room for upgrade to Be diaphragm.

Has anyone heard the Radian 950 on any other horn?

Edited by Toon Army

So why does my response look as such on the high end?

Move your mike 1 foot in front of the horn. You will see a huge difference. Aluminum always chokes before 10 Khz on a horn with collapsing verticals. A CD horn requires about a 12-15 db boost at 15 Khz. (High shelving) from about 3 Khz.

Understand that this is just my opinion. As Al K. once reminded me, "You're just one guy in one room." It's a great quote and equally applicable to all. We all hear differently and so have different subjective preferences. So, with that in mind, I will never, ever go back to anything that uses titanium diaphragms. Once you get dialed into the ringing, you can never NOT notice it. On a whim, I decided to try some Radian 5208C coaxials. They use a very stiff paper cone with their 450 PB 1" compression driver. Since the acoustic crossover is around 1800Hz and the midrange is being reproduced by the cone -- I can only comment on the treble -- which is remarkable. I've lived with just about all of the varieties in the Reference Series as well as the Jubilee. I would take those 950s, run them with the Beyma tweeter, and call it a day. Seriously.

I agree. Aluminum usually breaks up at 10 Khz. and I believe thes do as well. I'm using titatiums only up to 5K, so no "nasties" being boosted up.

Raian 950PB sounds damn good in the right horn but not so sparkling at the top end. it will lose its directivity as well in an Eliptrac. if I was about to use them, I would use some good tweeter with uniform directivity for 5KHz+, something like CP-25 Beyma

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone have an opinion on the use of the Faital Pro HF204 instead of the 200 in either 2-way or 3-way with the Elliptrac 400? I just like the idea of the Ketone Polymer Diaphragm. Response looks pretty good as well.

Edited by jorjen

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2013 at 8:59 AM, Deang said:

Understand that this is just my opinion. As Al K. once reminded me, "You're just one guy in one room." It's a great quote and equally applicable to all. We all hear differently and so have different subjective preferences. So, with that in mind, I will never, ever go back to anything that uses titanium diaphragms. Once you get dialed into the ringing, you can never NOT notice it. On a whim, I decided to try some Radian 5208C coaxials. They use a very stiff paper cone with their 450 PB 1" compression driver. Since the acoustic crossover is around 1800Hz and the midrange is being reproduced by the cone -- I can only comment on the treble -- which is remarkable. I've lived with just about all of the varieties in the Reference Series as well as the Jubilee. I would take those 950s, run them with the Beyma tweeter, and call it a day. Seriously.

I concur with yours and John Warren's 3-way recommendation. The best (and only way in my opinion) for 2-way is Beryllium diaphragms with Active PEQ's and time delays, which is what I have in my Jubes. Otherwise, it's 3-way for sure.