New vs. Old or Heritage vs. Palladium

philipbarrett

That's an interesting question. A few years back a Klipsch engineer shared with me that the Palladium was one of the five best speakers he'd ever heard. I asked him about the other four and he named them. I can't remember the other three, but one of the four was Jubilee.

Considering the Palladium is in a completely different class economically, I'd say having "any" of PWK's designs compare like that is the compliment of a lifetime. I mean, the considering the cost, Palladium ought to be one of the best sounding speakers on the planet. And it certainly is.

no BS.

• Moderators

EDIT; DD has answered, that's how slow I type ! [:$]

Since no one answered yet I will give an opinion, although I am not a trained listener or even have hearing I would brag on, but i love and do listen to alot of music including live.

Overall I think PWK's designs compare VERY well to newer designs. One thing to consider is his right hand man is still working hard on designs and has alot to do with many of the designs since PWK passed away. Roy Delgado, to me one of the most respected engineers around, he loves his job and after all these years still enjoys the challenge of finding a better sound.

I could try to say something about comparing different designs but really it is somewhat a personal choice, what I like means little and can change from person to person on what they perceive they hear or like.

Overall would have to say Klipsch is in very capable hands and will probably continue with new designs which will be very competitive, I wouldn't want to be there competition on sound quality.

All IMO of course. [;)]

+1 on what they said however, I think all of our comments are biased from the perspective of appreciating/loving horns. For those who are into an electrostatic type speaker, they may gag at the thought of your question....

I'd put it this way.... a good speaker regardless of when it's designed is still a good speaker.

HiFi Mag - "the blacks were somehow less brooding yet the soundstage maintained a joie de vivre that was both cheeky and restrained"

That's hilarious. Come to think of it...my KLF-30's do seem to be sounding a little "cheeky and restrained" this morning. Better make an adjustment. [:P]

wish i could say. Haven't heard the Palladium.

I've heard the Palladiums on a few different occasions and they blew me away. The refinement surpassed any other Klipsch I've heard....by far. Unfortunately, I've heard the Heritage speakers a countless number of times (it seems like) and have yet to hear them in a proper set up as far as placement, etc.

Those Palladiums are really something. So is the pricetag. [:^)]

For those who are into an electrostatic type speaker, they may gag at the thought of your question....

I agree but it's kind of funny how some of them are intimidated by an impressive horn system done right. The Klipsch haters are just that....until they hear them in all their glory.

• Moderators

One thing to remember also is Heritage was designed with the best parts designed to meet price points to try to keep them affordable and still have a real quality of sound.

Palladium was not designed like that, it was more of what's the best parts that can be used, within reason of course, they couldn't be completely crazy to where maby only a couple few would be sold, that doesn't really help anyone.

I have heard Palladium's and was honestly was very impressed with the sound and of course the looks. I would have to say the goal they were after was reached, I would think it could hold it's own with any competitor in it's price range and much higher.

I am no expert by far but to me the better a speaker is really has to do more with what you don't hear than what you do.

With everyone who likes the Klipsch sound it's probably the live detailed sound that they like, so after that improvements (for my ears) would be what you don't hear, You have quiet and space between sounds with separation, to me this is where the quality comes from.