New member just wanting to do an intro and advice.

acajun

Its been a while since I've been on a forum of any type. I've browse some of these forums and really enjoyed the posts. LOTs of info on all type of equipment.

I really enjoy music in stereo. As some of you, I've had some kind of system for bout 50 years, Not much better than listening to your fav music with a glass of wine or a brew.

I've gotten lazy the last years gone the way of SS amps with surround preamp and just listen to one of the internet stations--mostly Pandora. The wife had gotten me to put all of the albums, turntables, stereos-tube and SS amps, old speakers and testers in our shed a few years ago, so the grand kits wouldn't kill themselves, thats what I was told. *^).

I've got some Cabasse Egea Artis that have excellent mid to upper frequency ( best I've heard) and not so good bottom --6 or 7 years ago from the US distributor. I use a Klipsch 12" sub to help extend the speakers, but they don't play well. I really wanted this to work but it just don't . The driver cones are made of a styroform looking type material and just hard to match with anything but their subs. They're not available in the US anymore.

So I venture to the shed got out some A/D/S 510s that I bought in the 80's. They were dull and not filling our living room 20' x 20' . Back to the shed and got the AR-5s, much better but one tweeter is crackly and the X over needs new caps and some other mods to get their sound back to glory.

Back to the shed to get a pair of B&W 5, they're not there. Son got them a while back and is "using " them now.

I'm missing my tubes and started looking at something that works with them. I've got the wife to agree to another pair of speakers that will have bass without using a sub.

AND that why I'm here.

I've had the RF-5s and the matching center-surrounds. Don't want to go that way. We're looking at going to a more simple route with stereo for doing all.

The Khorns didn't work in our home, years ago, too big and too much bass. No one could sleep with them on low volume.

So I'm thinking Cornwalls. Will they work in my size room and have the bass without a sub? I've got tubed stuff from 5 to 50 wpc. I'm liking the more efficient. the better. I like the EICO HF-22 (22 wpc) the best.

What yall think abut the Cornwalls. Most horns are hoarse in our room, I haven't listen to all the types of horns, after reading some things said, it seems that the Cornwalls are well balanced. They will be placed flat on the walls. approx 10-12 apart. The wall starts at 9 ft and rises to 22 ft. Wood walls and tiled floors with large area rug.

Thanks

Stan

welcome Stan, i listen to my Cornwalls everyday. you will absolutely love them. and yes they have bass without the sub. trust me i;ve had 10-12 sets of them in the last 20 yrs in the house all at the same time

i don't believe a word you say about the mighty k-horn, you could get banned from here talking like that[:D]

are these anywhere near you

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/170721.aspx

edit--- i see you already contacted Glenn

Well, hi, and welcome, you've come to the right place. i had cornwalls for 20 years before i sold them. I bought them new from the store and they travelled with me for along time. from a bass prospective, they go a little deeper than average, maybe not quite as deep as a khorn. i always used a SS amp. but would have liked to hear them on tubes. My room is about the same size as yours, 20 by 20 and they worked great. i didnt have tile floors though. If you get some cornwalls, dont put them in the shed. lol. Good luck, you will get lots of good advice around here.

"""mighty k-horn"""

Thanks for the warning. I'll speak no evil [:D]

""i see you already contacted Glenn""

Yep trying to get my hands on some before heading out for a week. Ain't gonna happen.

"""10-12 sets of them """

You must have all the ones I'm looking for. [:D]

I emailed 6 sellers in the last week, no replies.