The History of the Jubilee

bracurrie

One mans home made solution to hiding the ugly K402 (Kudret's fine work)

Rhetorical question: I wonder if someone would rather buy a pair of Jubilee's with K402 (for example), $10,000 BUT the K402 is ugly and sitting on top of the speaker OR, pay (again, for example) $20,000 for the SAME speaker with the SAME horn but it now looks like this yet, sounds identical?

At least now you have the option. You can pay someone the extra bucks to pretty them up or you can keep them as they came. IMO if the front panel is pretty then the 402 with the mounting holes filled or dressed would be good enough, Unfortunately for me Hereseys are too big for my tin eared but lovely wife so mine are in my office where pretty isn't a big deal.

Kudret's work is indeed fine. Those look very good. There are mansion ready. [Y]

Lord.....How have I missed this thread......!

More to come.....................I am not sure if you have seen this thread or not, but here is a set of Drones that we built last year:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/153826.aspx?PageIndex=1

Testing went very favorably and we will hopefully pick it back up this Spring. We have put this and another related project on hold, until our new building is complete. We just plain ran out of room.......that simple.

• Like 1

I would also stay with a Klipsch horn on the top also. Either a K-510 (the small one) or the K-402 (the big guy). The K-510 is small enough so that it can be put into a cabinet and made pretty. The K-402 would be more difficult.

My personal feeling is that if the room is large enough the K-510 will start to sound fairly close to the K-402 (I did not say identical).

I did experiment with some other horns. One that I liked was the Electrovoice HP 640 (that model in particular, do not confuse it with other Electrovoice horns). It is about 28in wide and 13in tall and takes a 2 inch driver.

Good luck,

-Tom

When I ordered my Jubs Roy gave me two drivers and two horns as HF options. He suggested the K69 as his preferred driver of the two. Of the horns he said the 402 had better polars than the 510. Therefore, the result was a 402/K69. This was before the most recent modification to the 510.

The Jubilee@535 is the cinema version and I have now completed a cinema installation with these. Exquisite.

The Jubilee is available in what was called the Decorators finish back in the mid 70's when I was selling Klipsch speakers in a Sydney HiFi store. There were a number of models available in the Khorn and the Decorators finish was a considerable saving compared to the outstanding complete finishes that were available.

To finish my personal pair of Jubilee by building Top Hats, I have Jub end plates that Roy sent me in the container with the Cinema set of Jubs. I will use a pair of these plates for each 402. One plate on top and the other underneath of each 402 with dowels separating the plates at each of the 4 rear corners and another 2 at each edge of the horn mouth. I will then wrap a belt of silk like material around the dowels so the rear of the 402 will be hidden and this will give me a uniform finish around the top hat with only the edges of the plates showing. I will make a recessed collar to fit in between the LF and HF and I will have a look and feel consistent with the traditional style.

I find the variations people put together around the Jub most interesting and we are all very fortunate to have this available to tinker with. :)

For my Centre channel(which i am still undecided about), i might go to a Jubilee with a 510(two way) because of space limitations. I already know it works and is a good two way solution. not a 402, but still great sounding.

Dude take it to the ceiling as the top of the mcm grand is one of the finest top hats I've heard yet. It blew me away 402/510...

• Moderators

Dude take it to the ceiling as the top of the mcm grand is one of the finest top hats I've heard yet. It blew me away 402/510...

Just go nuts and go all the way, this is for you Seti [Y]

post-11804-13819828199262_thumb.jpg

"...I thought the only "REAL" PWK Jubilees were the pair in Ms. Val's living room and the pair in the NM Museum, they had the 403 horns if I'm remembering right."

It's been a while, maybe someone here who was with the group can help me remember -- but when we went to her house, I think she only had one Jubilee. It wasn't even hooked up. When we hooked it up, it didn't work. Dr. Who and myself unscrewed the plate, pulled the crossover out, and traced out all of the leads. We got it working with some poor excuse for an integrated amp she had sitting the room. It sounded terrible. We all clapped like idiots. The pair in the museum is one of two pair made -- The Golden Jubilees. She had someone reverse engineer the lone 403 in her possession. Anyone who has heard this horn immediately moves away from it.

"Because it appears the plans are out there, it isn't a secret, or is it?"

The plans are not "out there". Valerie Klipsch has a set, Klipsch of course has them, and then there are the various sets floating around that have been put together based on the information found in the JAES paper. One set of those is very, very close. That person got a little extra help from Roy because he has integrity and Roy trusts him. I honestly don't know if there are any differences between what Valerie Klipsch is in possession of and what Roy uses. Roy is the person that PWK picked to engineer and complete the project. Roy is a horn guy. Roy has the education, credentials, and all the tools. The "REAL" Jubilee for the home is currently being sold by Klipsch through channels which Roy has approved. You can run it with an active set up, or with passives. You have your choice of two different horns or two different drivers. Any of these solutions are fully engineered turn-key solutions. You are primarily paying for the sound, not the asthetics. The fact that they don't match your wife's china cabinet doesn't mean they aren't "a real pair of Jubilees". Good Grief.

Disinformation, nonsensical rumors, and just plain idiotic comments continue to surround this loudspeaker. I'm so freaking tired of it I don't even know why I bother coming into these threads.

• Moderators

It's been a while, maybe someone here who was with the group can help me remember -- but when we went to her house, I think she only had one Jubilee. It wasn't even hooked up. When we hooked it up, it didn't work. Dr. Who and myself unscrewed the plate, pulled the crossover out, and traced out all of the leads. We got it working with some poor excuse for an integrated amp she had sitting the room. It sounded terrible. We all clapped like idiots

Your exactly right, it was in the room with the piano.

Disinformation, nonsensical rumors, and just plain idiotic comments continue to surround this loudspeaker. I'm so freaking tired of it I don't even know why I bother coming into these threads.

Well said DeanG...!!!

I guess it's just the typical human nature to fill in the blanks and dam the facts...!

Roy long ago said he read the desire of some forum members to see the Jubilee made available for us to use in our homes and so he reached out to help us and engineered several 2-way versions based on the KPT-KHJ-LF and the KPT-402 or KPT-510 horns and K69A driver with passive or active options and when a few asked about a no holds barred K402/TAD TD4002 HF he engineered that option also in both passive and active designs. These versions are fully engineered and tested designs by Roy.

miketn

It's been a while, maybe someone here who was with the group can help me remember -- but when we went to her house, I think she only had one Jubilee. It wasn't even hooked up. When we hooked it up, it didn't work. Dr. Who and myself unscrewed the plate, pulled the crossover out, and traced out all of the leads. We got it working with some poor excuse for an integrated amp she had sitting the room. It sounded terrible. We all clapped like idiots. The pair in the museum is one of two pair made -- The Golden Jubilees. She had someone reverse engineer the lone 403 in her possession. Anyone who has heard this horn immediately moves away from it.

Yes, on this visit you are correct Dean about the single Jubilee/K403 prototype.

For what it's worth I have heard the K403 on a couple of occasions but only one of them was efforts made at reasonable controlled listening comparisons with the others and all I can say is IMO the K403 and K510 sound very nice but the K402 was always the clear winner based on sound performance.

miketn

To you its disinformation because you know the facts. Thanks for telling or maybe retelling the story. It's what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Away from this forum there are lots of rumors and bad information. A concise history of the Jubilee should be written and available so a newbie can get up to speed on not only a great culture but a great speaker system.

While I am sure there are some bad actors on this forum, this forum, unlike the others I have tried, has quality people that contribute freely with great patience encouraging others to climb the curve of knowledge and enjoy this hobby.

Thanks again.

W.C.

It would have been nice for history anyway if you could have gotten the K403s with them as Valerie had them built.

It was also nice that at least seti who really appreciates them and the history was able to get the K403s from them.

miketn

Thanks I am very thankful they didn't like the 403s as I love 'em and you'd have to pry them from my dead cold ears :). Been listening to them since 2009. I like all the modified tractrix horns especially the mcm grand tophat.

W.C.

It would have been nice for history anyway if you could have gotten the K403s with them as Valerie had them built.

It was also nice that at least seti who really appreciates them and the history was able to get the K403s from them.

miketn

Mike,

Don't you KNOW that I would have loved to have received a set of the 403's with the Golden Jubes. It would be great if they could possibly be brought back to life, as the mid "hump" intrigues me......[H].

All I got was a set of Martinelli's, but I gotta tell you....I LOVE them puppies also. The Jubilee Base Bin is SO versatile, that there are a myriad of TOP combinations, that will do a great job of reproducing the MF and HF. I for one, particularily like mine two way passive......YMMV.......[:D]

We have two sets of Martinelli's: The lower set below is on the Jubes and a set identical to the top ones we have on a set of La Scala Base Bins. This picture is from Mike's place when we picked them up. I will take some pictures today and post them to this thread, as soon as it lightens up a bit......

post-57654-13819828246878_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

W.C.

miketn

Mike,

Don't you KNOW that I would have loved to have received a set of the 403's with the Golden Jubes. It would be great if they could possibly be brought back to life, as the mid "hump" intrigues me......Cool.

All I got was a set of Martinelli's, but I gotta tell you....I LOVE them puppies also. The Jubilee Base Bin is SO versatile, that there are a myriad of TOP combinations, that will do a great job of reproducing the MF and HF. I for one, particularily like mine two way passive......YMMV.......Big Smile

We have two sets of Martinelli's: The lower set below is on the Jubes and a set identical to the top ones we have on a set of La Scala Base Bins. This picture is from Mike's place when we picked them up. I will take some pictures today and post them to this thread, as soon as it lightens up a bit......

Yeah you ain't slumming with Martinelli's. I really wish he was still in the horn bussiness.

W.C.,

Check out this thread I started just after I received my clone bins and wooden horns with JBL 2435 drivers. I thought at the time it sounded pretty good. But with thoughts and suggestions in the thread I since have since taken them to a whole new level. As I said earlier, now I am ready to hear the real thing. [:P]

It is all good.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/149516.aspx?PageIndex=1