RF-83 vs CF-4 Comparison

Youthman

• Moderators

Some black CF-4 speakers just popped up on Seatttle Craigslist for $800. I would love to try them out. They look like great speakers.

Definitely go check them out so you can at least hear how they sound. My guess is you will be going home with them. [:D]

The wife went to Zumba tonight so I had some time to crank them up. Just for kicks, I pulled up "Enter Sandman" by Metallica on youtube. Although this is a compressed version, they absolutely rock (no pun intended). I'm not a fan of Metallica, I just remember hearing a demo of it and knew it had a great bass line at the front of the song. The CF-4's seemed to enjoy the power I fed them. They really open up as the volume increased and with each beat from the kick drum, I could feel.

Compared to my RF-83's, they both sounded great on the highs, guitar riffs etc but the CF-4's once again have the RF-83's beat in the bass region.

The CF-4's are definitely a fantastic set of speakers and am glad to have the opportunity to demo in my HT setup.

sorry to harp but don't let the CF go without getting up so the center of the horns are at your seated ear level. This goes for any horn loaded loudspeaker. Too many owners have never heard what their loudspeakers sound like because they just did not know or because it was too much fuss to find out. Height is a critical part of louspeaker set up and positioning. I hope reades take the time to experiment and to find the performance which awaits them. Will leave it at that.Thanks again for posting your great pictures you do a great job of letting us see your excellent loudspeakers in your beautiful home in exception hi rez. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

• Moderators

sorry to harp

No worries at all sir. You are by far more knowledgable than I in this matter and I appreciate the valuable information you provide to this community. Unfortunately, I did not elevate the speakers yet. I did however sit on the floor with my ears being level. LOL

I just put it in my phone to bring home 4 cinder blocks. This should provide enough stability and height to get them properly setup. I will post my findings after doing so and provide an updated pic showing them elevated. [;)]

Thank you for your patience and putting up with my intrussions into your thread. I know that lots of readers see your posts and look to see if you have posted more of your great pictures. I know that I do. You are able to capture the beauty in all of the Klipsch that you photograph I think because you see that beauty. People are creatures of habbit and I think a lot of us are on the lazy side by nature I know I am and I have to make a real effort to keep up with my work. Even though my work is my passion I still have to make an effort. So part of that effort is to remind fellow audio lovers what helps to make their hobby more enjoyable. Thank you also for your effort in buying and listening to so may wonderful loudspeakers. This really keeps interest high and exposes many to products that they may never have known about otherwise. I think that the message is to buy and to try. This is a wonderful experience to learn and is the only way to know if you will like one design over another. The loudspeaker of your dreams may be in a neighbors garage just waiting for you now. Very best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thx K5. The KLF C7 goes with the KLF series. I had one with my KLF-30's and frankly was not impressed with the sound from it. The matching center for the CF-4 is the KV-4.

The CF-4's will not be long term as I have no desire to replace my Reference 5.1 setup. I enjoy the fun of trying different speakers, gear etc. I'm really not looking to see if I can find something better than what I have as I am very content with my setup the way it is currently. I'm not typically the guy that gets upgradeitis. I tend to do my research, figure out what I want, save up, look for deals and then work towards that goal. That's what I have done with my current HT. It's what I dreamed of and that dream has become a reality over time.

I've owned a lot of different models and still have a few more Klipsch speakers on my "Klipsch Bucket List" to own (ie LaScalas, maybe Khorns, THX Ultra2, RB-81, RB-75 and possibly a few more). Unless something just absolutely blew me away in SQ for both HT and also for 2ch, the RF-83 system will remain in our home for many years to come.

• 2 years later...

I just found this thread thanks to Mr. Youthman, and I wanted to comment on it even though it is a couple of years old.  I can't believe I haven't seen it before, I thought I searched on all the CF-4 references, but I guess I missed this one.

I have never heard the RF-83's, but all your observations on the CF-4 is spot on, IMO.  The dual 12's produce a chest thump like you won't believe.  I don't really play a lot of rock, but anything, even acoustical like a guitar also produces a chest thump, a very real physical feeling to the music when played loud.  String plucks just vibrate your chest (think James Taylor).  Even in this very low level Youtube vid, the opening guitar riff just pops you in the chest with that characteristic CF-4 sound. Tune in at the 4:25 mark.

What I find the most different from the smaller speakers I've owned is how these play loud, without being loud.  When you crank them up to near-reference levels they just sound effortless.  They don't get more shrill, in fact, they really open up and sound better at louder levels.

Great review, great comparison.  I've got this one bookmarked now.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Probably to equalize what you're hearing so the bass doesn't seem to be coming from beneath the horn.  There are a lot of speaker designs that still use that same design where the tweeters and midrange are situated below the woofer, or sandwiched between the two.  More equal sound distribution.

Which version of the CF-4 did you get?

I heard earlier versions were voiced smoother. Later versions the management wanted it louder so the tweeter was voiced hotter. They may have reduced LF extension a bit too.

Could you take a photo of the throat of the HF horn? I'm curious if it's the same horn lens from the Chorus II.

• 1 year later...