Speaker cables

McMiRA

I'm not trying to kick the dead horse here but after running a search I came up with nothing. I've seen the debates over silver vs copper and lamp cords vs cabling worth more than my car. What I'm more interested in is the gauge of the wire. Obviously larger creates more surface area for electron flow but does there come a point where you've reached the peak performance and the next size up won't make a bit of difference.

I plan on doing some diy copper cables with locking 45* bananas. 8'-10' long. Was considering 10awg or even 8awg.( Price isnt that much more),Then I started thinking of the wiring of the crossover. The cabinets have aa crossovers and no matter what size or quality cable ran to them they are still limited by internal wiring all the way to the coils of the drivers themselves. Then my head started spinning and I came up with a hair brain idea to upgrade all the internal wiring to 12 or 10 in the crossovers and to the drivers. I know the idea is path or least resistance. Supersized perhaps.

I guess the point of this is does size matter between the amp and crossover in this situation?

Is bigger better?

Would upgrading internal wire make a bit of difference?

it has been my experience that people who change out internal wire with the belief that if some is good and more is better then too mucn must be perfect frame of mind are most often disapointed and sometimes very sorry they did so. Want some good advice leave it alone and buy a real good source or a real good amp and stop thinking that ecconomical littlle changes will change your world they won't. Most xovers with circuit boards will not take more than 16 gage and you don't want to know how many blown up speakers I have seed sue to sloppy installation of ten gage wire even connector terminals broken off because they could not take the stress of big fat wires. Simply said it is a bad idea. Internal wire is for the most part very short and the DCR is not a big concern. I admit to have had the same thoughts and to having done the very thing that I warn you against so I speak from experience on a multitude of levels here. Best regards Moray James.

Have a clean source and plan on running a decent tube amp for the power with eventually a tube preamp. Was thinkinging that an 8 foot run of 8awg would theoretically act as a shorter run of smaller sized wire. Possibly cleaner. Have about 100$ set aside for the project.

Would I just be better off spending the money on pre built ones?

have you found any connectors which will accept 8 gage wire? this is a most problematic suggestion you have made. as far as gage size goes 14 is generally about as big as you want to or need to go. smaller insulated strands making up a 14 gage cable is a good plan but will require a solder pot to terminate. non terminated as in stranded bare wire much bigger than 12 gage is a big worry for having a stray strand short out your amp. connectors which are insulated are a very good practice. there are other issues which work against using big fat wire like 8 gage welding cable. not trying to be dick but if you need to try this then just be very careful and see for yourself. A twisted pair of 14 gage or a twisted quad of 16 gage work well and will be difficult to better. welding wire is for welding. Best regards Moray James.

I think he is seeking the "wire-gauge to length-of-run" chart. I don't have it. Can someone help him with that? Please DON'T spend $100 on speaker cable. I think the chart said anything under 25ft, 16AWG is good...over 25ft and it's up to 14AWG.

I use this handy dandy applet:

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Some of the coolest DIY speaker wire I have ever seen was made from CAT 5 or CAT 6 ethernet cable. Seems to me they stripped the casing installed banana plug ends, installed colorful braded shielding, and ended up with some super high quality professional looking wires.

As for me, I grab whatever is around. I have used ebverything from the high dollar Monster wire to telephone wire, and even one of those old orange outdoor extension cords to run speakers. I never A/B tested anything, but if I needed something, and didn't want to go to a store or wait for an order to ship to me, I just poked around the garage and found something.

My idea was going beyond gauge to leanght, I didn't know if there was any advantage to it. I found some knukoncepts twisted pair 8 gauge speaker cable for $1.65/ft or 10 awg for $0.99/ ft. Same company makes wire pants in either size for $0.99/ea. generic 4 pack of 45 degree 24 ct gold plated locking banana clips that accept 8mm (the diameter of 8awg) for $30.00/ pack. Entire project would be around $110. I've worked with wire like this in the past. Heck I've work with a lot larger. Caught the db drag racing bug when I was a teenager and that got out of hand quick. Good quality wire in this gauge is silky smith and just coils where it lays. And your right about it being like welding cable. A high end ground cable is pricey but makes all the difference.

Now that you see where I'm going with this am I onto something or just over compensating for my height?

the connectors make this a safe experiment so sure spend a few bucks and see what you think. It is not what I would choose to do but that is me. I would expect the option I gave to work better but that is for you to decide for yourself. I would still not recommend such large gage for internal hook up especially to a crossover board unless you custom designed the board to accept s a large gage. Best regards Moray James.

I used Mogami 2921 QUAD wire for my current wires that I made myself and I love them and highly recommend this wire. This is considered a little larger than 13 ga and I bi-wire them which makes the guage higher. Mogami is excellent wire and really has a very good sound quality, this wire is a little more expensive but well worth it. I used GLS locking bananas for my connectors.

Here is a pretty good link which shows how easy it is to build your own speaker cables.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=diy&action=display&thread=23093

Here's some pics of my speaker cables before the bananas were installed.

Posted Image

The amp end.

Posted Image

The speaker end.

Posted Image

Here are the GLS locking bananas

Posted Image

Installed.

Posted Image

Just a suggestion, go to Lowes or Homedepot and buy several different guages at the desired length - stranded and same thing in solid wire, and just plug and play, see if you hear anything, and/or what strikes your fancy sound-wise. Altec had installation instruction for their field guys that spelled out the appropreaate guage for length of run - check out Altec unofficial site it should be in their resource section I think. If you're interested in trying different materials, take a 2X6 say 6 feet long and put "hookup screw strips" on each end and string the exotic wire between each hookup screw, then use your existing cable (actually you need 2 because the board goes in-between the amp/speaker), with a alligator clips on the ends and see how each colors the sound - instant changes without hassling with the amp/speaker. Might try stranded copper, solid copper, silver either one strand or a couple, gold (rather pricy) and steel (Walt Bender - picture hanging wire). CAT cable is very well made stuff and can adjust the number of strandes used for varying guage size, can try it as is or strip the wire out and do your own twist pattern - have used it, nice. Cotton covered tinned copper wire as used by Ma Bell - like to try it. I found just using a nice outdoor extension cord cut and wires twisted and tinned with no plugs work pretty decently - made sure it would squeeze into the amp speaker screw down and on my speaker cross overs - and as noted above not stressing the crossover strength too much. Now use stuff that looks like HD lamp cord, 14 ga for runs no more than 6 feet. Anything Mogami is good - they make awesome mic cables, very low signal and super long runs in studios and live shows, and it's tough stuff to boot. Use their wire from my audio converter (AD/DA) to my amps that sit next to my speakers. Your software, meaning records and music files, and your choice of speakers/placement have more impact than wire. Think early mono Beatles records versus the remixes into stereo and then early CDs, talk about a real sound difference!!!

Enjoy your tunes

Didnt mean to quote previous post, ipad doesn't like forums some days.

The wire I'm looking at is tinned angle hair, many more strands than standard wire. Think we are loosing the point of this topic. I'm not looking for appropriate gauge for x amount of feet I'm looking to see if there are any advantages to using lager than required to theoretically shorten the distance between amp and speaker by giving a considerable larger amount of surface area than would be provided by the appropriate gauge for the run. Electrons travel on the outside of a strand of wire, not through it, what the idea is to provide as much surface area as possible by going to over-sized gauge for one and secondly using angel hair that gives more stand per gauge than standard. I'm not saying its going to have " more power" or anything like that but it should positively affect the efficiency of the run. Kind of like having the amp being built into the crossover.

I have high grade low grade, network cable, you name it laying around the house. I'm just gonna start building some $xxt and see what happens. At the very least they will sound the same as the monoprice stuff ran all over the house but look a lot nicer. I'd mount the amps in the cabinets but then there would be a larger gap between the preamp/ amp and speaker cables have the least chance of introduced noise

Electrons travel on the outside of a strand of wire

Actually electrons don't "travel" at all, to the best of our understanding they merely bump into each other.

The actual transmission of electricity is not really understood at all, I get a good laugh when certain cable brands claim to have knowledge that has eluded theoretical physicists!

+1 on Mogami and Canare, although I doubt they effect the sound in any way different to zip cord they are very nice cables to work with. Of course they don't get coiled and uncoiled every day in home system.

• Moderators

Ok I noticed no one said anything, so i will be the dummy and jump out there and say it [:P]..........................................Are you crazy or just being silly thinking about 10 or 8 AWG for a 8' run, 14 or 12 awg is overkill for 8' ? [:|]

Really I have a welding machine on #8 and it's alot longer than 8' ! What do you think you will gain except pounds of copper ?

Sorry but I had to ask the question, I can now go on your list of idiots, but REALLY ? [:$]