Speaker cables

McMiRA

Ok I noticed no one said anything, so i will be the dummy and jump out there and say it Stick out tongue..........................................Are you crazy or just being silly thinking about 10 or 8 AWG for a 8' run, 14 or 12 awg is overkill for 8' ? Indifferent

Really I have a welding machine on #8 and it's alot longer than 8' ! What do you think you will gain except pounds of copper ?

Sorry but I had to ask the question, I can now go on your list of idiots, but REALLY ? Embarrassed

Good point. I use 11 ga Mogami wire. The only reason is that it lays down on the carpet very nice and straight and does not coil up by itself. I have one run that is 40 feet, but this is still way overkill.

Are you crazy or just being silly thinking about 10 or 8 AWG for a 8' run, 14 or 12 awg is overkill for 8' ? Indifferent

We use 14 or 12 awg to run up to hundreds of feet for large concert systems. Even the subs. If it's mostly resistance you generate a little heat and your amps are happier, doesn't change the sound.

Capacitance is the main enemy, at speaker level voltages inductance is so low that it's not really a factor except in the lab or the packaging of high-$ cables.

I'm using #10 silver wire to hook up to my bass bins, not because of any performance gains but because it was free. There was a NASA surplus sale and a buddy bought a bunch of it and gave some to me. I'm using #12 copper for the mids and #14 copper for the highs, super overkill for the half watt max they carry.

• Moderators

I'm using #10 silver wire to hook up to my bass bins, not because of any performance gains but because it was free. There was a NASA surplus sale and a buddy bought a bunch of it and gave some to me.

If it were solid silver I would be selling it off at todays prices. $$$

Had an old time welding whip sitting around for years and finally got tired of looking at it, gave it to a friend who is an electrician to bring to the scrap yard when he brought his cutoffs, it was worth $70 and it was just copper, you could imagine what silver would bring.

Thanks Dtel, I was getting worried! [^o)]

Your money would be much better spent on room treatments, instead of speaker cables.

I use 12 gauge speaker wire, also because it lays flat and neat. The internal wires are what Klipsch installed, I figured it I needed bigger wires, they would have put them in!

Good luck,

Dennie

Somebody has to get stupid around here or it gets boring, and I am good at it, ask my wife.

Ask her about stupid or boring? [;)] I don't think you ar either, and Christie must certainly have the smarts to have found a good man.

Bruce

• Moderators

Ask her about stupid or boring? Wink

I think I do more of the stupid than the boring.

Example I walk out of the shower last night with blood running down from above my eye, I went to dry my hair with the towel and stuck myself with my thumb by my hair, my fingernail cut my head ! [:o] One of those dumb things that makes you just stand there thinking, am I really this stupid, apparently yes.

So of course Christy immediately sends the kids and my sister a message and they all can't stop laughing and want pictures, they all love when I screw up. [*-)]

I'm using #10 silver wire to hook up to my bass bins, not because of any performance gains but because it was free. There was a NASA surplus sale and a buddy bought a bunch of it and gave some to me.

If it were solid silver I would be selling it off at todays prices. $$$

Had an old time welding whip sitting around for years and finally got tired of looking at it, gave it to a friend who is an electrician to bring to the scrap yard when he brought his cutoffs, it was worth $70 and it was just copper, you could imagine what silver would bring.

Wow, I just checked the spot price on silver and it's $31.50/oz, that's probably Troy ounces. There's probably $400 or more worth of silver in those wires but it would be a hassle to get the insulation off. When I first got the stuff I tried to burn the insulation off with the gas flame on a stove and it wouldn't even melt. It must be some kind of ultra high temp silicone or composite polymer.

• Moderators

There was a NASA surplus sale and a buddy bought a bunch of it and gave some to me

Just think, if you had bought plenty of that wire you could have gone into business making extreme high end wires, people would have paid big for speaker wires originaly designed by NASA !

"Our wires are so special they only go two places, space or your audio system ! " $$$