WTB: pair K-400, K401 or HD-350 [bought]

Greg Oshiro

• Moderators

I don't have any for sale but i did get some k401 if that is the resin models of the k400 from klipsch a few years ago for $50 each no drivers, if it comes down to that?

Someone may have some ? this will bump it up anyway.

Thank you to those that answered this post, and especially to speakerfritz, who was willing to part with a pair of SpeakerLab HD-350 at a reasonable price. Now it's time for me to design and build an idea that I've had for a while to make the polar behavior of the top hat more consistent throughout its' operating range. I'll take pix and acoustical measurements along the way and post the results. It may take a while, as this is a spare time project.

have you considered three vertically stacked matching horns? The top and bottom horn tilt down and up toward the centre and you run the centre horn full bandwidth and you roll the top off of the top and bottom horns. DJK knows about this as EV did this with one of their large horns. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

moray--

Boy did you re-activate some old brain cells. I do remember that EV array.

I'm thinking about a K-400/K-401/SpeakerLab H-350 squawker oriented with the long dimension vertical and a small CD horn tweeter above or below. My (unproven) theory is that the horizontal dispersion pattern will have less beaming at the high end of the squawker and with the horizontal dimensions of the squawker and tweeter similar, this will provide better contnuity of the horizontal polar pattern through the crossover range. I'm also hoping to find a tweeter horn/driver that can cross over lower in frequency than the K-77 and give more flexibility in crossover frequency selection.

My woodworking skills and experimental time are limited, so it'll be a while....

Thanx for the interest.

Greg: you are most welcome and I thnk that your theory is a good one and makes sense to me. I have found that vertical orientation can make for a big improvement but the room does come into play. Try flipping the tweeter as well. Id you hace a set of Herey you cah turn them side ways and see wxactly what I mean, instant vertical heresy,. I run my H3 up on 22 inch high stands and if I turn them sideway the have to be raised a lot to keep the centre of the mid horn at ear level but they do sound great that way. I have also run my KLF20 mid horns rotated 90 degrees and also done the dame with my CF3 horn and in my room in each case the difference is amazing. Room acoustics does have a big impact on this though. I believe that there is a thing called pattern rotation or flip which can take place. As I said I like the way that you are thinking about this, Good for you and good luck with the rest of your project. PS have you thought about a square horn or a round one about the same size? Best regards Moray James.