Promedia 5.1 Ultra Fix Please Help

ericmk

Turned on my speakers recently and got a really high pitched whine out of the speakers. Something clearly went bad since they have been working for over a year in the same spot with no changes to wiring or anything like that. The whine happens without the speakers connected to the computer so it isn't the sound card or wires to the sub. I have read about people talking about ground loops but I don't think that is what it is. I can plug headphones into the control box and get good sound so I think the control box is good.

I'm planning on taking the sub/amp apart later but just wanted to see if everyone agrees that is the problem.

I have read through the forums and found list of parts. Best one I found is below.

Replace --- Replaced with
R527 (4.7 ohm) --- CPF34R7000JKE14
R529 (5110 ohm) --- CMF605K1100FHEK
680 ohm (PCB position not labelled) --- RN70E6800FB14
MR7 (100k ohm) --- CPF2100K00BEB14
D5 and D6 (FR204) --- FR204-B
All three 22uF (50V) capacitors --- EEU-FC1J220 (63V caps because they don't have the 50V
versions. Same size as 47uF caps, fits fine though.)
All three 47uF (50V)
capacitors --- EEU-FC1H470
Q10 (2N5551) --- 2N5551RLRAG (also has properly spaced pins, unlike the
original.

Pretty sure options are to try and fix this on my own. Pay 120+ to klipsch to try and fix, or elliot-tronics.

Thanks for any help. Had these things working for 8+ years and really love them.

• 10 months later...

Stay away from Elliott-tronics. This guy is a total rip off. His paypal account was deactivated and recreated a new account under Jessica Sanchez. This guy has kept my equipment for over 6 months. Lied to me about the timeline, that I would get it soon. Tell me he's waiting on one part, on and on. The parts and my equipment were never returned. STAY AWAY this guy, he is a FRAUD!!! Do your research, he's did this to many people throughout the internet forums and he lives Cedar Hill, TX. I'm about to take a trip to Dallas to go claim my equipment and get a refund with filing legal action through small claims court. HE ignores my emails and I'm going to tell everyone about his POOR service. Go find another engineer or tech on ebay for your Klipsch pro media 5.1 amp repair. If you choose poorly like me, then you will be in the same situation. Research before you send anything to this guy!!! Look at the payment history. 1z2f19s.png