The 3 Speakers of the Apocalypse

philipbarrett

The K-Horns will be gone. Not that I don't love them but they need corners and soon I will not have any. Taking the price of a new pair as a baseline I come up with 3 possible replacements:

1) Jubilee

2) Volti's Vittoria

3) JBL S4700

All are horn loaded, all are fine speakers, all are efficient enough to work with lower power tube amps. The Jubilee is a visual nightmare, the Vittorias are a finely finished piece of furniture and the JBL (in cherry) comes between the two. Visuals are not a complete deal breaker but the Leader of the Opposition is looking to be on the tour of homes.

A pleasant dilemma, so what did I miss? Your thoughts?

Congrats on this problem.

Stop what you are doing right now and add some money to your budget and buy these JBL Everest 6600's that were just listed with a price drop on Audio-goon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-brand-new-in-box-jbl-everest-dd66000-dd6600-2013-01-29-speakers-60642-chicago-il

Not fully horn loaded but I think that you can suffer with them. Buy them an dnever look back again. If you have room for Jubilees you can fit these, and these are pretty...(may get flammed here)

Otherwise, the JBL S4700's look really nice. I had a chance to get a pair of JBL Array 1400's for $4500 several years ago and passed them up. Worked out well but they would have been nice.

One more thought, you will never be happy with Jubilees if you think that the Jubilees are not going to work right now. I bought B&W N801's, which, with their round heads and 15" woofer look like R2D2 knocked up a washing machine and was never quite happy. I sold them and bought Signature 800's for over 2 times the price. They sounded the same but looked very nice in the room.

• Moderators

Do the 60th Anniversary Khorns need corners ? I only ask because they do have backs built in and someone on the forum has a NIB set, I have no idea how much he is asking or where your located.

New LaScalas look cool also with the 1" thick sides and would probably be as close to the sound you are use to(except the bass).

I know what my choice would be but it wouldn't be the easiest thing to set up with low power tubes amps, and you would have to finish them yourself to make acceptable looking.

I am unashamedly biased, but I really like the sound of the Jubilees. I can tolerate their looks.

I would consider reserving some money and having a woodworker do some magic on the cabinets. At the very least they will need some grills and an upgrade on the visible painted surfaces.

The top section is tricky. If you have a large room then you might consider the K-510 horn (little brother to the K-402). In a large room, it will sound remarkably close to the K-402. Since it is smaller, a HF cabinet could be fabricated that will not be too obtrusive (something similar in style to a K-Horn). However, putting a K-402 in cabinet is tricky since it is so large and the overall scale becomes visually akward. Although a clean paint job on the K-402 and mounted on top of a Jubilee bass bin with some decent cosmetics, can give a nice modern look. This may not be for everyone however.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Moderators

Thoughts?

Yes , that sounds like a good idea, I don't know enough about Khorns, does that make it good enough to not be in a corner, just along a wall ?

Volti does first class wood working, the only problem I have with his speakers are the same that I have with other diy horns and speakers, there more or less designed and built by ear and very little testing and by far not fully engineered.

I have nothing against diy but when it gets anywhere around these prices even for single parts it should be fully tested so you know where you stand. Cool designs and great woodworking but to me just expensive diy. Nothing personal, just the way I feel, there are to many things going on to just guess.

All are horn loaded, all are fine speakers, all are efficient enough to work with lower power tube amps. The Jubilee is a visual nightmare, the Vittorias are a finely finished piece of furniture and the JBL (in cherry) comes between the two. Visuals are not a complete deal breaker but the Leader of the Opposition is looking to be on the tour of homes.

My thought is to listen to as many of these as you can before choosing, and particularly to your choice before buying.

One advantage to something like the La Scala II is that it's a uniform product that everybody here has liked when they heard it (that includes me), and it's a clear close relative of the K-horn. Much less need to audition it. You need a sub with it, though, for deepest bass.

Sorry about the lack of corners.

Thoughts?

Yes , that sounds like a good idea, I don't know enough about Khorns, does that make it good enough to not be in a corner, just along a wall ?

Volti does first class wood working, the only problem I have with his speakers are the same that I have with other diy horns and speakers, there more or less designed and built by ear and very little testing and by far not fully engineered.

I have nothing against diy but when it gets anywhere around these prices even for single parts it should be fully tested so you know where you stand. Cool designs and great woodworking but to me just expensive diy. Nothing personal, just the way I feel, there are to many things going on to just guess.

Well said.

So much common sense - thanks to all.

What sub do you think would marry well with the LS? Think tight & defined rather than "listen to my copy of Top Gun Blue-Ray" boom, flap, boom.

Incidentally I'm mixing this week on the baby JBL VerTec line array (4886) and the subs are phenomenal. JBL 4883 - dual 12" cardiod. I used the preset for their big, 2 x 18" sub and I'm loving the low end on these little babies.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=304&MId=4

So much common sense - thanks to all.

What sub do you think would marry well with the LS? Think tight & defined rather than "listen to my copy of Top Gun Blue-Ray" boom, flap, boom.

Incidentally I'm mixing this week on the baby JBL VerTec line array (4886) and the subs are phenomenal. JBL 4883 - dual 12" cardiod. I used the preset for their big, 2 x 18" sub and I'm loving the low end on these little babies.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=304&MId=4

You could just close in the backs of the Khorns and deal with the big loss in low end by adding a tapped horn of tuba HT subwoofer (both horn loaded), but I really wanted to see you get the Everest. You like JBL's right???

My strong preference would be Jubilee.

Haven't heard Vittoria. I'd expect the sound to be very good in the house and lineage of Heritage and likely would be helped by a sub.

Haven't heard the S4700. Also would expect the sound to be killer, but it is not fully horn loaded. I think it would be a step down from Khorns with direct radiating bass. I've come to have a preference for horn loaded bass as well HF.

If the 402 horn is too big, it would have WAF in my house. I have, however, heard Jubilee with the 510 horn and K-69 driver and the sound was really, really good.

Slam dunk, IMO.

The K-Horns will be gone. Not that I don't love them but they need corners and soon I will not have any. Taking the price of a new pair as a baseline I come up with 3 possible replacements:

1) Jubilee

2) Volti's Vittoria

3) JBL S4700

You undoubtedly know my primary thoughts. Here's some expansion.

1 Jubilee: Tested & proven in the lab. PWK's final project.... how much was directly from him and how much from Roy? I don't know so I'll give the benefit of the doubt.... it's got his 50 years of experience in there. It shows

2. Volti's: Greg does stunning work. That fact is clearly obvious to see to anyone who's breathing. They are however, (from what I can ascertain) essentially beautified LaScalas with a juiced up midrange/tweeter and of course, the gorgeous cabinet. As has been said... why not simply get a fully engineered LaScala II and add something like a Danley DTS-10 (or a pair) for that bottom octave.

3. JBL: I'm not familar with that speaker so can't comment....besides.... this is the Klipsch forum [:D]

One thing that I DO think is a substantial improvement is the fact that the Jubilee is a 2-way verses 3-way on the Khorn. Now that I've heard the difference of that alone (not even mentioning the beautiful K402 horn on top), I'd urge you to go 2-way. Indeed, I'd suggest you consider the JubeScala over the LaScala II and get totally away from that K401 midrange & K77 tweeter. I think it would be cool if Klipsch would offer the LaScala with a choice of standard mid/hf horns or the K510 being built inside the same tophat. Give folks a choice.

Regardless... for what my ears heard, the most substantial improvement in sound was going to a 2-way speaker. The fact that it also sounds stellar is a nice tidbit as well.

You've seen Kudret's Jubilee's? (picture attached)

He built the top boxes himself. Surely this is at minimum 'acceptable'???

Heck, if you look closely at the pretty Jubilee that PWK is shown next to and then see it taken apart you will find that it's the SAME ugly black chassis that most of the early buyers have. They then took some pretty 3/4" panels and simply applied them to the top of the black box with some rubber mounted dowels.

If you take the grills off, the top off you are left with an industrial black unit that has a pretty front panel like the one pictured here.

post-15072-13819828640536_thumb.jpg

You've seen Kudret's Jubilee's? (picture attached)

He built the top boxes himself. Surely this is at minimum 'acceptable'???

Heck, if you look closely at the pretty Jubilee that PWK is shown next to and then see it taken apart you will find that it's the SAME ugly black chassis that most of the early buyers have. They then took some pretty 3/4" panels and simply applied them to the top of the black box with some rubber mounted dowels.

If you take the grills off, the top off you are left with an industrial black unit that has a pretty front panel like the one pictured here.

Nice work and well thought out.

The Jubilee is actually a very nice looking speaker in the photo of PWK with the one with the smaller wood horn on top. The 401 is just huge and makes the speaker look out of proportion, even when dressed up, covered up, etc.

A 401 made out of wood might look good, but it will still be huge in conparison to the bass bin. And it will cost a bundle to make out of wood.

Don't know the answer. We are all used to seeing the human form with a big body and small head and this is lopsided.

What about option #4, have Volti refurbish the K's with the closed back modification?

Thoughts?

I know there is a lot of negative talk about Greg's speakers and their lack of engineering/testing, but let me just say that my pair of modified khorns sound better than any other speaker I have ever heard, including 3-way Jubilees. His closed in backs provide a much cheaper alternative than some of your other options, and I would upgrade to his mid horn and the 2" BMS drivers at the same time. You will never look back!

I know you've seen the work he did to mine, but here is the link again - http://www.klipschupgrades.com/flkhorn.shtml

Mike

• Moderators

I know there is a lot of negative talk about Greg's speakers and their lack of engineering/testing

It's the truth, a fact, negative or positive is how you take it. They could sound GREAT but it's still a fact it just very pretty high priced DIY.

I don't know the man and have no doubt they sound as described, but it does not change the facts.

". The Jubilee is a visual NIGHTMARE", wow pardner. [:|] I love mine, & the wifie has excepted them & will like them even more when I get around to doing a little cosmetic work as shown in Coyotee's photo. Phill there not really that bad looking & after you hear them, you will probably say "What nightmare".[;)] Of course differnt strokes for different folk's & all that.

Phill you still have an open invitation to audition mine any time - let me know.

Best of luck what ever you decide.

Cornman