Unexpected gift!

Shodrewken

One of my hobbies is building computers. I do this somewhat often for my buddies, and it just makes it easier for me to diagnose their computers problems because I know what hardware and software are in their machines. Anyway, I don't really charge for this service, because I enjoy doing it, however just recently I built a computer for a friend at work and he had asked me how much to build him a new machine. I told him not to sweat it, he'd pay for the parts, and I would build it for free. This was a couple days go, so this morning when I get to work he's standing next his car waving me over. So I get over to his car and he said he had a gift for me, to say thanks for building him a new computer. So he opens his car and lo and behold he's giving me a almost perfect condition Acurus A150 power amp! I was super stoked to say the least. Guess he had planned to build himself a two channel rig some years ago, but he never really got anywhere with it. Anyway, this is a sweet amp! It puts out some really great power, and my Chorus II's have never sounded better. Very pronounced and tight low end, envolping mids, and smooth highs. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Cviper,

Very kind gesture on your part to use your gifts unselfishly and build computers for friends.[Y] I am not surprised at all that such a nice thing came back to you.[:)]

So I get over to his car and he said he had a gift for me, to say thanks for building him a new computer. So he opens his car and lo and behold he's giving me a almost perfect condition Acurus A150 power amp! I was super stoked to say the least. Guess he had planned to build himself a two channel rig some years ago, but he never really got anywhere with it. Anyway, this is a sweet amp! It puts out some really great power, and my Chorus II's have never sounded better. Very pronounced and tight low end, envolping mids, and smooth highs.

I know those Acurus amps have some serious punch down low.[li] I owned two of the A150's and they really made my Heresys thump tight and fast. They can "sizzle" a little bit on top(with some recordings) but not with any lack of detail. I seriously considered keeping them to use as monoblocks with my Quartets but decided it may be overkill in my spare bedroom. I eventually sold them(big mistake) but now I am enjoying my current Acurus amps daily.

If you can swing it, get yourself another one and use as monoblocks. They can be had on the used market for around $200.00, which IMO, is a steal.

Bill

Cograts on the nice amplifier. If you're going to keep using it in your 2 channel rig, I think you would really benefit by swapping the Onkyo receiver for a stereo preamp.

That's the plan eventually. My play money is all gone, so its gonna be awhile till I can make another audio investment [:(]