I need to dynamat my entire house

masterxela

You don't get headaches from the CFLs, not worried about the mercury? CFL's are a terrible idea and way less efficient than LED. Sorry about the rant, I have a serious hate issue with chinese made taxpayer funded cfls.

So much wrong here.

First the mercury levels are low, lower than if you ate seafood 5 times a week. Second less efficent, sorry no, the same lumen to lumen > 600 LED's become the same efficiency. Just do a comparison of a ~75 watt or 800 lumen CFL and LED they are about the same at 18 watts. LED's also all come from China and use Chinese Rare Earth Metals.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, the mercury as I understand it stays inside unless broken. I was referring to the headaches some people get from florescent lights in general (the wavelength I believe).

as for efficiency, "A recent example of Cree's LED innovation was their February 2010 announcement of a prototype white LED that can produce a record-setting 208 lumens per watt while drawing 350 mA of current, nearly 14 times the efficiency of a typical incandescent light bulb.[2]" from wiki.

A much better technology all around.

As for having heavy metals in them, I am unsure of if, but even if they have them, they could never be released in your home but dropping.

The government should not be in the business of picking technologies, or companies. That power is not granted by the Constitution.

Jay, the mercury as I understand it stays inside unless broken. I was referring to the headaches some people get from florescent lights in general (the wavelength I believe).

Even when broken the mercury exposure is less than what a person eating 3-5 seafood based meals in a week would get. As for the headaches, thats oldschool flourescents. They had a flicker that could be seen by the human eye, all newer bulbs have a flicker rate much higher than can be perceived.

as for efficiency, "A recent example of Cree's LED innovation was their February 2010 announcement of a prototype white LED that can produce a record-setting 208 lumens per watt while drawing 350 mA of current, nearly 14 times the efficiency of a typical incandescent light bulb.[2]" from wiki.

Note two things, one is that it is a prototype, its the same as the environmental people saying there are solar cells that are cheaper than coal. Yes its about 10 years away and no real world data. Also it takes another 10 years to trickle down the technology to become cost effective to use in the home environment.

The other is that its a single bulb. When you add arrays like what are found in most LED replacement bulbs, the efficency falls not due to the led's efficency but the heat. The worst thing to do to a LED is not dissapate the heat. That is why the whole back of the bulb is heatsink and some even have fans built into the par38 bulb. Note, the cost as well. Some newer Audi and Lexus have full LED headlights replacing HID. The replacement cost per headlamp is 3000 dollars and most of back is dedicated to cooling the LED's. They use similar Cree high efficency led's that you talked about but these are purpose built headlight housing with engineers whose main job was to make sure the LED's heat was dissapated. Not just someone's recessed lighting that was designed for incandescent light bulbs. (Note, a lot of people complain about the HID headlights currently found on many higher end cars, the one with bluish tints. The funny and sad thing is that many ignorant people blame the true HID which are DOT regulated and approved with the illegal HID headlights that usually kids purchase and put in a light housing designed for halogen bulbs. To be DOT legal, the HID bulb must be housed in a housing that was designed with certain features such as a cutoff filter which provides a sharp contrast between where the light is shined and not (that is why most HID are housed in projector style housings now) and in Europe they require high pressure spray washers and automatic leveling (which is why many European car companies still charge 600-800 dollars for HID headlights while the Japanese cars that have HID remove the high pressure spray and automatic leveling since they are not required by the US DOT regulations)) Long story short, people put CFL and Led's in a design that was actually meant for incandescent light bulbs and then complain when they are different and have undesirable traits. Just like the kids that put illegal HID bulbs into their car's lighting housing designed for halogens. And lastly the Cree led's are mainly used in the automotive and flashlight sections, not home since most people want a non focused spread light which is hard to do with a localized led.

A much better technology all around.

No it is not, it is as I hinted better in certain applications.

As for having heavy metals in them, I am unsure of if, but even if they have them, they could never be released in your home but dropping.

Reread what I said, I said rare earth metals. And yes they also contain heavy metals as well such as lead, gallium, arsenic, etc. Click here http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=led-lightbulb-concerns

The article does not go into another method of exposure, if the led overheats and melts. It has been known to happen with smalled leds where when you over voltage them they glow bright until the heat cannot dissipate quite enough and it melts and releases all its internals.

Why I made the quip with about china was in your response

Sorry about the rant, I have a serious hate issue with chinese made taxpayer funded cfls

I said that the rare earth metals required to manufacture LED's come 90% from China. So by your bias against china not to buy cfls, you still in fact buy chinese. Kinda looks foolish.

The government should not be in the business of picking technologies, or companies. That power is not granted by the Constitution.

There is soo much wrong in this statement as well. The government has an obligation (less so now though) to see that its citizens can be provided with certain infrastructure and standards of life. Why is corn heavily subsidized in America, because its cheap to grow and the farmer's lobbiest are strong. The government decided to pick corn in this instance over wheat or other plants. The government is choosing to switch to cfl and led's because it doesn't want to build more coal powerplants to enable citizens to foolishly waste electricity on inefficient modes of lighting. You do realize that 90% of incandescent lighting is actually heat? Put it this way, would you do anything that was 90% waste? Would you drive to a destination but 90% of the time it you were not driving to the actual destination?

From wikipedia

The luminous efficacy of lamps is the number of lumens produced for each watt of electrical power used. The luminous efficacy of a typical CFL is 50–70 lumens per watt (lm/W) and that of a typical incandescent lamp is 10–17 lm/W.[21]Compared to a theoretical 100%-efficient lamp (680 lm/W), these lamps have lighting efficiency ranges of 7–10%[22] for CFLs and 1.5–2.5%[23] for incandescents.[24]
Because of their higher efficacy, CFLs use between one-seventh[25] and one-third[26] of the power of equivalent incandescent lamps.[21]Fifty to seventy percent of the world's total lighting market sales were incandescent in 2010.[27] Replacing all inefficient lighting with CFLs would save 409 terawatt
hours (TWh) per year, 2.5% of the world's electricity consumption. In
the US, it is estimated that replacing all the incandescents would save
80 TWh yearly.
[28] Since CFLs use much less energy than incandescent lamps (ILs), a phase-out of ILs would result in less carbon dioxide (CO2) being emitted into the atmosphere. Exchanging ILs for efficient CFLs on a global scale would achieve annual CO2 reductions of 230 Mt (million tons), more than the combined yearly CO2 emissions of the Netherlands and Portugal

The government has an obligation (less so now though) to see that its citizens can be provided with certain infrastructure and standards of life

You'll have to show me this part of the Constitution, I must have missed it.

The government has an obligation (less so now though) to see that its citizens can be provided with certain infrastructure and standards of life

You'll have to show me this part of the Constitution, I must have missed it.

No worries man, its over your head because you never understood the social contract theory. You know things during the age of enlightenment from people you no doubt never heard of (like Rosseau, Hobbes, Locke, etc) with blanketed statements you make like "It wasn't in the constitution"

Also you know

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the
privileges ... of citizens
... nor ... deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without
due process of law
; nor deny ... the
equal protection of the laws

Standards of life = life (pretty sure our founding fathers would not approve of the US government if the US government's standard of life was still 1783 when its 2013.

property = infrastructure (how do you maintain and grow your property? through infrastructure)

Also nice intentional strawman, you couldn't argue any of your points about LED's versus CFL's so you had to attack the user.

CFL's disgust me but the sheeple buy them like crazy. For good deals on led's check out http://1000bulbs.com/

I just can't bring myself to pay $17.00 for a 50 watt (equivilant) bulb no matter how much I like LED's. $44.00 for a flood light bulb! They need to be around $5.00 a pop before I'll start switching over.

Yet agaiin another person who claims sheeple yet has no actual argument other than someone told me CFL's are terrible.

As for CECAA850, you are correct I believe the actual switch over price though not 5 dollars is when LED's are about 12 dollars for an equivalent 60 watt and 16 dollars for a 100 watt replacement.

• Moderators

It's all PWK BS Button, the only way to go is ANALOG...........................

top notch, but only if the president says its ok.

Well of course, I probably should send him a message and ask, got a couple of other questions anyway about the Constitution.

Once you start believing that the Constitution grants citizens a 'base' standard of living, you have a huge sub-population of revenue-leeches with iPhone 5's and 5 year old cars, buying steaks with EBT, complaining about being poor, and expecting the government to provide them with that 'base' regardless of how useless they are to our society.

I can't stand it. (liberals)

Once you start believing that the Constitution grants citizens a 'base' standard of living, you have a huge sub-population of revenue-leeches with iPhone 5's and 5 year old cars, buying steaks with EBT, complaining about being poor, and expecting the government to provide them with that 'base' regardless of how useless they are to our society.

I can't stand it. (liberals)

Amy will ban this thread but its funny that the "liberal" states provide the federal government with more money than "red" states.

As for buying steaks with EBT did you hear that on Fox news or did you ever see the requirements of EBT?

Lastly, why even have a government if you believe that you can do it all yourself?

I think government should protect me from violent crime (possible to do on your own, but I'd rather not militarize my house)

That's about it. Unless they want to invade oil rich countries to raise my standard of living; then that's good too

I don't get news from any television network

There were 200 job postings on craigslist yesterday in my city. There should be no welfare programs, and unemployment should max at 2 weeks per year, not 26. (I worked 3 simultaneous minimum wage part time jobs during part of my undergrad. People need willpower, not government)

If you can't afford to have children and you do, you should be 'fined' (obviously don't have any money, so it would be shifts at Walmart)