Oris 150's have arrived !

Rudy81

Looks like this is going to turn into a DIY paint program. Locar car painter wants $800 to paint them properly. $200 to just put a coat of paint and no prep or primer.

Looks like the listening experience and testing will just have to wait....[:'(]

That a ridiculous quote! My 150 horns cost @$400 for primer, 2-3 coats of paint and clear coat at an auto paint shop here in B'more. I'd suggest calling around and get a few rough quotes as they obviously wont commit until they see it but you'll find that the quotes are all over the place.

BTW, excellent choice for horns. My angle was trying to put together a 2-way system and the Oris spec'ed very well with the KHorn bass bins. I tried a few other bass units, including the Onken and Bert's bass units - both of which work very well with the Oris but I kept coming back to the horn which lacked a bit of the impact but more than made up for it with speed, transients and integration sound-wise at the xover point to my taste. As well, I tried a few other top horns before and after I got the 150's - even gave the Oris Orphean a spin but the xover point was a bit too high (@400Hz) for the bass bins so I put the 150's back in place and have been happy with them ever since. Have fun... I know you will!

Have you considered testing them to be sure you like them before you spend all the extra money to mount and make them pretty? I wiill say they do look cool. I'd be interested in hearing what they can do.

I have already listened to a set of Oris 150 horns a few years ago and have been chasing that sound ever since. I finally decided I'm not getting any younger, so just treat myself and order a pair.

BTW, excellent choice for horns. My angle was trying to put together a 2-way system and the Oris spec'ed very well with the KHorn bass bins. I tried a few other bass units, including the Onken and Bert's bass units - both of which work very well with the Oris but I kept coming back to the horn which lacked a bit of the impact but more than made up for it with speed, transients and integration sound-wise at the xover point to my taste. As well, I tried a few other top horns before and after I got the 150's - even gave the Oris Orphean a spin but the xover point was a bit too high (@400Hz) for the bass bins so I put the 150's back in place and have been happy with them ever since. Have fun... I know you will!

JBryan,

What crossover point are you using now? Bert assured me that they can be used from 150 on up, depending on the driver of course.

What driver are you using? I would love to get a hold of those AER drivers, but for now it is one crisis at a time.

I just dropped the horns off at a paint shop. Found a nice place that would do what you had done for $300. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Pictures to follow.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for the Oris horns? I have never been able to find a listed price on the internet, so I always just assumed they were too expensive for my taste. It is a setup that has always intrigued me (150hz all the way up with one driver). It seems like it would capture many of the best elements of horn speakers and single-driver setups while avoiding their worst drawbacks.

• Like 1

You are looking at spending about $1800 for the 150's to be delivered to the US. If you got the Oris 250 horns, the delivery charge is about $300 less. Then, there is paint and the drivers.

It is an expensive proposition, relatively speaking. Shipping is a killer due to their size, not the weight.

The Oris horns should be back from the paint shop this week, so I have started taking measurements on the driver so I can get right into putting the horns together and test them as well.

Here is the impedence curve on the Tang Band 1800, 8 Ohm driver.

post-10337-13819829491762_thumb.jpg

Rudy81 said: "What crossover point are you using now? Bert assured me that they can be used from 150 on up, depending on the driver of course.

What driver are you using? I would love to get a hold of those AER drivers, but for now it is one crisis at a time.

I just dropped the horns off at a paint shop. Found a nice place that would do what you had done for $300. I'll keep my fingers crossed..."

Sorry Rudy..I didn't see your post 'til this am. I'm using a Marchand xover and tried a handful of modules (xover points) and the one that measured best in my room cut off at 160Hz (though I didn't try 155 or 165Hz). My original goal was to cross the bass bin below 200Hz so I first picked up a pair of Oris 200 horns. They sounded nice but the opportunity arose to try the 150's and they offered a fuller sound and were less beamy - it was an easy choice. I started with a pair of Fostex drivers but picked up a pair of AER drivers with the 150's and really haven't looked at anything else so there may be better choices now. I have the tubed xover from Marchand (XM26) now but originally I had the (XM9) and it has a very handy feature that isn't on the XM26. It has a damping control that allows adjustment of the response at the crossover point which does help to integrate the horn with the bass bin. I also used a digital xover (Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496) so I could adjust the time delay of the drivers but after a month or so, I decided I preferred the way the system sounded with the Marchand XM9 so I went back to that until I found slight improvements with the XM26.

I'm delighted yo found a better deal on the paint job! I'm partial to the metallic finishes myself and having seen several horns over the years, I'd probably go with a cream in Pearloid finish if I had to do it over but everybody has their own preferences...that's why they offer so many color choices.

Good luck with your new horns and I hope they're everything you're hoping for.

JBryan,

The drivers I originally heard were AER, IIRC. I am going to start off with those Tang Band and see how they work out.

I'm really glad to hear you are easily crossing the driver that low. After many discussions with Bert, he highly recommended the 150's vs. the 250's in order to maximize the single driver frequency coverage. The only difference was the shipping cost, which was substantial, but hey, I was only going to order these once.

I am really looking forward to getting this project going.

Really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about their sound. It would also be very interesting to hear about how they compare to the K402 setups that are popular on this site. Sounds like the prices are similar and both offer a significant upgrade over the stock Klipsch top-end.

Really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about their sound. It would also be very interesting to hear about how they compare to the K402 setups that are popular on this site. Sounds like the prices are similar and both offer a significant upgrade over the stock Klipsch top-end.

Unfortunately I am biased in that area. I have heard several K402 setups over the years and have never taken to the sound dispersion they produce. I originally started out chasing the Jubilee bass bin and the K402, but ended up going in a totally different direction. I know the K402 is very popular here and certainly respect those opinions. But after several auditions in various locations, I found that I did not like the sound of the K402 for critical listening and much preferred the sound of round horns.

In my years of listening, the best sound I heard overall came from a set of Oris horns. I know that is contrary to current wisdom, but it is what I liked and have persued.

I'm chomping at the bit to hear them myself, but the paint issue has become a DIY project. Turns out the auto place I took them to was less than enthusiastic about getting the work done. So, after a week of sitting around in a paint shop, I just picked them up and am working on them now. I just didn't trust $2000 worth of horns sitting in an auto paint shop. Not many folks there understand the cost and importance of those horns to me.

I don't know what the going rate for the K402, but don't think they are that pricey.

You would think if you were to spend either 400-800 on paint they would take care of it regardless. Hopefully you don't have any problems painting them. As for the price on the 402, from what little research I did you looking at around 2000-2500 shipped. But keep in mind you do get drivers with those so if you could subtract 300-400 for those you are about the same price just for horns.

How great! As Bruce mentioned, Welborne Labs used to offer them here, quite along time ago now. As a die-hard Klipsch and Lowther fan, I would love to hear them with the Lowther PM5As to which I recently upgraded. I'm still using the rear loaded horns I put together in what....1998, I think. Didn't have time tonight to read every detail, so am not sure what other equipment your putting in front of it. Anyway, best of luck with them! It will be tons of fun, I'm sure.

Wow, I did not realize the K402s were that much. Now I feel better about ordering the Oris from Bert and having them shipped. I have waited over a year for a used set, but no luck. Finally decided to just go for it. I am starting off with inexpensive drivers. I'm hopeful the Tang Band driver will do the trick.

The paint should not be a problem, just take a bunch of time I didn't plan on spending just in the prep.

After spending some time sanding the horns today, I realize they are not what one would call perfect, and do need some work in terms of sanding, priming and painting in order to get them where they need to be.

Stay tuned....

After planning and preparing to paint the horns myself, I decided it would be best to try and find a professional to paint the horns for me. I was able to find a gentleman who does this in his spare time and has many years of experience. I picked them up today and here are a few shots of the results.

The color is Pearl Black and looks awesome! [:D]

post-10337-13819829859286_thumb.jpg

• Like 2