Oris 150's have arrived !

Rudy81

Nice job on those. They look terrific. Hope they sound just as good as they look.

Thank you. I just finished the initial setup and so far I am extremely pleased. The paint job was not totally perfect. There were a couple of flaws, but you would have to crawl into the horn to find them. It was apparently a difficult item to paint due to the shape and size of the horns...not exactly like painting a car.

The pearl is just beautiful and sets them apart from plain old black!

You guys with K402s might look at painting those something like this....they would really pop and look really nice. Might as well since they are so large and call attention to themselves.

Just finished about 5 hours of work to set these up. I'll make some notes on what I found in case anyone is interested. The final setup per main speaker is as follows:

Passive RSW-15 running on EP-4000 amp from 20Hz to 60.7Hz.
JC's DBB on EP-4000 amp from 60.7Hz to 153Hz.
Oris horn on QSC PLX-1804 amp from 153Hz to 20kHz.

My objective has been to place the majority of the frequency spectrum on one driver and allow the LF drivers to only do what they do best.

I used REW 5 to take the response and driver time measurements. The subs have the longest time delay, so the DBB and Oris are delayed to align the entire speaker. I did find that the Tang Band 1800 is very capable of going from below 153Hz to 20kHz very easily. The Oris horn seems to load just fine down to 150Hz. and performed very well in testing.

I initially set the system up by ear in terms of dB level and ended up rather close to a good response. I started out by setting the Oris horns as a replacement to my Jabo horns with Faital Pro compression drivers. The reduced driver efficiency jumps right out at you. The Tang Band efficiency is rated at 93dB and the Faital HF200 compression driver at 108dB. That difference is immediately noticeable and I had to boost the sensitivity on the QSC to compensate.

The other major difference before any measurements was that the Tang Band seems to be better capable of very high HF reproduction.

I then went on to take measurements of the system to time align the drivers, balance output levels, check polarity at the crossover points and compare the Oris performance with the back chamber open and with the back cover installed. Bert, the Oris builder, indicated the back chamber cap would boost LF performance....and he was right.

Here was the result I got after setting the system by ear, prior to making any changes to the setup other than replacing the Jabo horns with the Oris and boosting the QSC sensitivity. All measurement were taken with a calibrated Behringer mic and a calibrated Tascam US-144 mkII audio card. These were the raw results, no smoothing.

post-10337-13819829936404_thumb.jpg

Here are the individual driver responses, time aligned, no EQ, at the sweet spot sitting position. I am not going to add any EQ since I plan to let Audyssey Pro do that for me. I figure Audyssey Pro can do a better job of balancing the entire system than I can do manually.

post-10337-13819829937664_thumb.jpg

Here is a comparisson of the FR of just the Oris horn with the back chamber open and with the chamber back cover installed. The green line is the back chamber installed and as Bert indicated, the LF response improves with the cover installed.

post-10337-13819829938284_thumb.jpg

A fellow forumite asked me to take some off axis measurements of the Oris response. The purple line is on axis, 3 feet away, level with the driver. The green line is approximately 45 degrees right at same height, and the blue line is approximately 60 degrees right...same height. Spherical horns as expected lose some HF performance off axis. However, the loss is not that significant in my opinion, particularly just walking around the room and listening.

Imaging is outstanding with these horns as it was with my Jabo horn setup.

Now, I will run Audyssey Pro and see how the system 'sees' the speaker.

post-10337-13819829940038_thumb.jpg

Thats alot of time but I am sure it is all worth it. When are you changing your profile pic.

It takes a long time in my case since you guys talked me into going active a few years ago. So....every driver has a dedicated amp. Lot's of stuff to set and check before I let Audyssey Pro do its thing. It will run into problem if each speaker is not set up properly and relatively well balanced.

Once I decide to keep them. I have been very happy with my Jabo/Faital Pro combination. I just wanted to be able to have most of the frequency spectrum on one driver.