Mikey's Home Theater Construction mode.

MichaelandKlipsch

So far just listened to the left and right in stereo and not impressed yet but then again I know these speakers are meant for movies over music and they are still set up on the 83s settings. Wich was tuned without acoustics and a different speaker. Soon I assume once I have all 7 speakers set up and run mcacc on the pio elite crank it up and put in transformers ill be wowed :) I have read nothing but 9 years of great reviews from these speaks so I'm very eager to finally enjoy and to work on them.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant really say I was upgrading the actual speaker though I agree with you. The RF-83s were just diff IMO. They were more suited for a all the way around musical/movie sound depending on the purpose I was going to use them for. With the THX speaker setup Im looking for I guess a different theatrical movie sound upgrade isnt a good word to use in the comparison between the two. I loved my 83s lol. Only thing I really upgraded was the amp now Im using a separate amp rather than receiver with the Anthem powering the L,C,R and Surrounds and the Pio elite powering the Surround backs. (will upgrade and get an Anthem a2 soon). Also upgraded the room itself with acoustic panels. I havent even actually listened to it all yet still working on it. time consuming process lol. I have listened to the L and R channel only in stereo and to be honest I hear a difference in the mids with the THX speakers and new amp but the 83s were much more musical IMO. I plan to buy a set of Klipschorns for musical purposes downstairs around the holidays. I want to find a nice old pair somewhere but not right now. I will say the subs I use now (4 KW-120s) was a definite upgrade over the RT-12ds. The difference is Night and day. Again I would say the RT-12d was a little more musically inclined as well but for sheer power and in your face shock value the KW-120s are tuff to beat. Still amazes me. Once I get the KS-525s up and mounted I will be doing room calibrations with MCACC and finally watching a movie. Really changed the theater room a lot in the past month.

I plan to add cinema sconce lighting up the stair case into the room also while I wait for the KS-525s to arrive. I see you use PB ultra 13s. Those and the Kw-120s are my favorite subs I have ever listened too. The PB ultras in all their finishes are drop dead beautiful. If I werent to get Klipschorns or Lascallas in the future id opt for pair of RF-7iis. Always loved RF-7s

Yeah just looking for a more theater like sound which from what I've heard the thx speakers are made for. To give a bigger cinema sound

The rf-83 are around 102db at one watt at 1 m (i think). The thx speakers are in the 94db range. You will need like 3 times the power to get the same db impact as the 83/64. (just saying)

Yeah reference head I see what you meant. But you were right in correcting me with my word choice. The THX speaks arent an upgrade just a different purpose speaker IMO. I expect it to change once I have made fine adjustments and actually run my room corrections with the pio elite. The room I think was an appropriate size for the 83s but I think these will bring what im after a little better. Its about a 2024 sqft room. I think this set up will be great once its adjusted. Put a lot of time and thought into placement etc.I agree the 83s are at 102 db I think the THX KS-525 surrounds are at 94db and the KL-650s L,C,R are rated at 97db. That is one of the first reasons I opted for an actual separate amp over just using the pio elite power. The anthem A5 is rated at 185w per channel. I know the pio elite running 7 channels with less sensitive speakers was in need of an upgrade so thats what I went for. None of the power or room corrections have been changed since I switched out gear (but that will be remedied tomorrow). Power wise I should be sufficient with the Anthem A5 and soon A2. I think the Pio Elite had the front 3 channels set down to about -8db with the 83s with room corrections and just the receiver. Once i run MCACC tomorrow with less sensitive speakers (THX KLs) and more power (the amp) I assume things will change.

Right now the 3 KL-650s are directly pointed at the Listening position the row of theater seats. I havent adjusted everything perfectly yet I will slightly turn the L and R speakers towards the center/sweet spot tomorrow so that all drivers/horns are directed towards me and run my room corrections finally. But as far as the angle down it is set to aim right at me. I definitely wanted them mounted above the TV and angled towards the listening section for more of a theater like presentation visually and audibly. Man tomorrow cant come soon enough. To be fair my first opinion was unfair seeing how I just plugged the L and R in and have all my old setting in with the power to the right and left way down to -8db from my sensitive 83s.

But as far as the angle down it is set to aim right at me. I definitely wanted them mounted above the TV and angled towards the listening section for more of a theater like presentation visually and audibly.

for argument's sake, theaters don't angle down the front stage. those speakers are at ear height behind the screen. Only the surround speakers are above ear height, per spec. Here's the THX recommended configurations: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Yeah sorry typo on my end lol. 299 sqft is accurate. Math is usually my strong point being an accountant typing on my phone at work not so much my strong point lol. I didnt mean that the speakers were angled down in the theater I meant more that my front 3 would be in line with each other to reach the entire room. I couldnt put them at ear height since my TV etc. would be in the way. With them angled at the seating positions and then slightly turned in and running room corrections do you think it will be ok audio wise? They are in the same spot as far as left to right where the 83s were but they are higher. I angled them towards the seated position so that the speakers would be facing me. Thanks for the replies so far. Im assuming once the Elite runs room corrections and if face them in a little Ill get a more accurate presentation. But I know the biggest thing is that the settings are from the 83s and that they are turned way down due to the highly efficient towers I sold.

by all means go with what works. it just seems like a lot of cash on top-tier gear to have it not located to spec. Why not spend that klipschorn money on a nice projector and acoustically transparent screen? Place the speakers behind the dramatically larger screen and then you will definitely have a "theater". i'd also turn off or cover all of the neon blue lights on your amps, conditioners, etc. i mean if you're going to do it, do it right...

Well I do like/love projectors etc but I have been an elite fan for a while and dont see myself moving to a projector anytime soon. The lights would def. be covered 100% if I were to do a projector in the future but with the Elite tv they dont detract from the viewing experience at all. I actually like the way it all looks very much right now. If I had a projector it would all be covered. I have owned 3 elites in my life so far and with the last being my 60 Pioneer Elite Pro151 which I have moved down in the living room and now owning the Elite 70 I dont think im going to change anything until an elite 80 4k comes out lol. I think with room corrections etc. and the speaks angled at the listening area etc. it will be nice. Id like them front and center but dont want to switch to the projector again. (used to have one in a diff house). Thanks again for all the replies man. The 3 Kl-650s are only about 1.5 feet above the middle of the screen so not too high above my ears and with them pointed at me should be ok.

by all means go with what works. it just seems like a lot of cash on top-tier gear to have it not located to spec. Why not spend that klipschorn money on a nice projector and acoustically transparent screen? Place the speakers behind the dramatically larger screen and then you will definitely have a "theater". i'd also turn off or cover all of the neon blue lights on your amps, conditioners, etc. i mean if you're going to do it, do it right...

Funny i use to love the lights on my gear but now i do everything i can to get rid of them all. All i have is a small blu light on my avr and the rest is gone or hidden.

Not sure who the Ear is lol. I have since separated the 4 on the main wall about 4 inches from each other. Took a little while with adjusting phase control and they sound absolutely incredible. The bass is just insane but I dont turn them up too much about half way on the Sub amps and they are felt in your chest for sure. I remember before I switched to all THX speakers and added room acoustics etc, I had all 4 setup briefly and watched Jurassic Park. The scene with the escaped Trex blew my mind. You can feel everything in your chest as if you were in an IMAX theater. By far the most over the top adjustment I made in the room cant wait to hear them again this weekend finally.