Corner horns

aarcuda

I have a friend that owes me money and he is about to move out of the state so he wants to pay me with a set of corner horns. What I would like to know is the realistic value of the horns and if I should do the trade. The speakers have been in his garage for at least 5 years covered under a blanket they are in almost perfect condition and I have hooked them up and they do sound great. The set of speakers serial numbers are i cosecutive order from 8727849 to 8727852. He owes me approximatly $2500. Does this sound like a smart trade, all help is appreciated.

60351682-f20d-4b9e-82df-f1a01d43a852_zps7d93332a-5e19-4446-a591-8f94fd713386_zps71e5214d-b397-4555-b5fe-cdc412838011_zps

two sets of speakers for a 2500 debt?

holy cow, jump at that asap before he changes his mind.

No where in this thread does anyone mention 'two sets' of speakers. If you are confused that there are 2 serial numbers per speaker, that just the way it is. I suggest you read the thread again carefully.

In the early-mid 80's (generally starting in 1984), Klipschorn's had
two serial numbers assigned to each speaker; one for the bass bin and
one for the top section. The bass bin had an "L/F" at the end of the
"type code" and the top section had an "H/F" at the
end of the type code.

BTW - I picked up my Oiled Oak Khorns in Mint Condition in 2005 for $2500. I had to drive 700 miles to get them.

aarcuda,

yeh. i think you've got a win-win there.

one thought, the serial number indicates that the date of manufacture is 1987. ideally they need to have fresh caps for the crossover/balancing networks. If the gentleman could pay $100 and the Klipschorns to settle the debt, that would cover the parts and shipping for a diy recapping job. not a bad diy job at all. it can be done turn key for a bit more.

the Klipschorns will sound pretty good as they are, but can be appreciably better by doing this. the caps drift off spec over the years. essentially they are restored to factory spec.

the pics look very good. i would be pleased to take them in trade for a debt of that size.

I have a friend that owes me money and he is about to move out of the state so he wants to pay me with a set of corner horns.

It sounds like you will never see your money because if he had it he would pay you instead of unloading his K Horns.

The speakers are worth near what he owes you, but the market fluctuates. Sounds like anything of value is worth more than nothing.

The last two pairs I owned were in excellent condition purchased from the original owners......I sold them for 1600 and 1650. It really depends on the area. In the NE, demand is lower because houses are smaller.

The question I would be asking is coud I turn these into cash in a week or a month and what amount of cash would I get? That is what the speakers are worth. I expect you would be VERY lucky to realize 2.5K out of them.

I would ask if he would sweeten the deal some as cash is what you loaned him and now he want to write it off his way with gear, ask him what else he could include because shipping these speakers is expensive and moving them is expensive and storage is expensive and selling them is very time consuming if you decide that you need to. Ask him what else he will add to sweeten the deal. If he balks tell him to consider it as a small amount of interest and remind him that a bank would not be interested in his speakers. My two cents. Hope this helps with a slightly different prespective. Best regards Moray James.