nicest Scala"s i"ve seen

hugeroost

guys theres a set of la scala"s on the bay that may be the finest scala"s i"ve ever laid eyes on, see if you guys agree, I dont know how to post the link but maybe another board member will, heres the item number 150991825185. Seller has them priced hi but I can see he has alot of work in em......Roost

I agree, those are drop dead gorgeous. I saw those last night... Whoever he is, he certainly did an excellent job!

Here is the listing description:

KLIPSCH LASCALA CONSECUTIVE SERIAL NUMBERS 22T426 & 22T427. THESE WERE ORIGINALLY THE BLACK PAINTED FINISH.

I REMOVED ALL DRIVERS AND THEY ALL TESTED WELL WITHIN SPECIFICATION WITH AN OHM METER. CABINETS WERE SANDED & PREPPED FOR VENEER. I ADDED 3/4" QUARTER ROUND ON TOP AND SIDES WITH 3/4" SQUARE STOCK CENTER & BOTTOM EDGE. THE TOP AND SIDES WERE COVERED IN RIBBON MAHOGANY VENEER THAT WRAPPED AROUND THE RADIUS EDGES FOR A CUSTOM LOOK.

I MADE CUSTOM BASES WITH A 3/4" REVEAL AS PICTURED. THESE BASES ARE SCREWED ON AND CAN BE EASILY REMOVED IF YOU PREFER. ALL INTERIOR SURFACES WERE RE-SPRAYED SATIN BLACK JUST FOR A FRESH LOOK.

THE VENEERED SURFACES WERE STAINED WITH A DARK RED MAHOGANY, THEN 5 COATS OF SATIN LACQUER WERE APPLIED FOR A NICE FINISH.

I FABRICATED NEW GRILLE FRAMES USING 1/2" THICK PHENOLIC MATERIAL, THEN COVERED THEM WITH NEW CANE CLOTH AS PICTURED. THIS IS A GREAT LOOK WITH A STRONG CONTRAST TO THE DARK RED STAIN. ORIGINAL KLIPSCH BADGES WERE THEN APPLIED.

IN ADDITION TO LOOKING GREAT, THEY SOUND AMAZING. I DID NOT RE-CAP THE CROSSOVERS. SONIC CAPS ARE AVAILABLE FROM BOB CRITES FOR ABOUT 85.00 FOR BOTH UNITS AND VERY SIMPLE TO INSTALL IF YOU CAN DO BASIC SOLDERING. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO DO THIS FOR THE WINNING BIDDER FOR JUST THE COST OF THE CAPS AND SHIPPING IF YOU ARE WILLING TO DELAY SHIPPING FOR AN EXTRA WEEK OR SO.

DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A WIFE APPROVED VERSION OF SOME SPECTACULAR SPEAKERS.

SHIPPING WILL BE FEDEX GROUND FULLY INSURED FOR PURCHASE PRICE. I HAVE PACKED MANY LARGE SPEAKERS WITHOUT DAMAGE. SEE MY FEEDBACK.
WESTERN STATES PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL 25% SHIPPING. IT REALLY DOES COST THAT MUCH MORE TO SHIP TO THAT REGION. YOU CAN CHECK OUT & I WILL SEND YOU AN INVOICE FOR THE DIFFERENCE.

I'm not sure how much they are worth, but they are definitely worth more than a standard set of LS's. They are almost as pretty as Belles. IMO, he should have upgraded the caps. Maybe he is more of a woodworker and less of an electrical guy.

I have saved pics of the listing on my computer in case I decide to redo one of my crummier pairs.

Guys,

Take a close look at these. He did a nice job, but may have skimped on the veneer job (I did nto read the description). Looks like he veneered the easy parts, and slapped grills on the front instead of refinishing the difficult area.

Nice speakers, but $3500 is way too steep for a $800-$1000 set of speakers with a pair of grills added.

Guys,

Take a close look at these. He did a nice job, but may have skimped on the veneer job (I did nto read the description). Looks like he veneered the easy parts, and slapped grills on the front instead of refinishing the difficult area.

Nice speakers, but $3500 is way too steep for a $800-$1000 set of speakers with a pair of grills added.

These are back on fleabay. The overpriced listing was pulled by the poster and replaced with a standard auction style with reserve.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-LASCALA-RESTORED-RIBBON-MAHOGANY-CANE-CLOTH-GRILLES-CUSTOM-BASES-/150993329270?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2327e75c76

I have no ideas on what he has that reserve at, but the bidding is very heavy on them. We should all take a guess as to what the final bid will be. Something tells me it will still not meet his reserve.

I'm gonna guess $1,450. [:)]

Guys,

Good catch TWK . . . And the rounded edges (in the description) at the top are just that . . . not veneered, just stained cheap quarter round edging. Like someone said, would love to see those with the grill off. And that cloth is definitely not original . . . real can or synth? Hard to tell the quality of the veneer job. If he got $1200, IMHO, he should take it, especially from someone who really liked them. I love the look of La Scalas with stock grills and open dog houses. Do you think he veneered under the full body grills? Did anybody ever get some additional pics, close ups or shots with the grills off?

my favorite scala is the lsi"s in black, I think they only came in black, and I like the more recent ones that are one piece, not the splits. As far as the regular lascala"s these are much prettier than most, they are living room pretty imo, not so unfinished looking. Would really like to check them out in person to see if their as good as the pics look......Roost

Having re-veneered a couple pairs myself I can tell you how much time and material goes into a project like this. Even though I dont like the look of them personally they do appear to be very well done. I can't stand speakers that have chips and tears and scratches all over them. These look perfect in that respect and he should be able to command a higher price because of it. If a clean pair of stock La Scalas can fetch $1,200 on FleaBay then $2,000 to $2,200 would not be out of the question for these. I bet the guy is probably making about $10 bucks an hour for his labor of love when its all said and done.

If you like them and you can afford them, get them. Life is short. If not, its easy to just sit back an say they are overpriced.....

I paid about a third of that for mine and they're really not too shabbyWink.

Yes indeed! Q-Man did a marvelous job restoring your pair. I sure do miss 'em...

Mike

That pic doesn't do them justice. They look better in person (not saying you take bad pics[:P]). I really enjoy listening to them. They even have logo's now!

Having re-veneered a couple pairs myself I can tell you how much time and material goes into a project like this. Even though I dont like the look of them personally they do appear to be very well done. I can't stand speakers that have chips and tears and scratches all over them. These look perfect in that respect and he should be able to command a higher price because of it. If a clean pair of stock La Scalas can fetch $1,200 on FleaBay then $2,000 to $2,200 would not be out of the question for these. I bet the guy is probably making about $10 bucks an hour for his labor of love when its all said and done.

If you like them and you can afford them, get them. Life is short. If not, its easy to just sit back an say they are overpriced.....

True, if the grills are not hiding some unfinished business. Before I would consider $3k for La Scalas reworked, I would need to see what is behind the extended grills. And, if someone is set on getting more than $1100 on those, ought to show more exposure pics. Just sayin'