Reel to Reel Tapes

CIGARBUM

What in the world has happened to the price of r2r tapes, I just checked Ebay and the cost of these has gone through the roof. The last time I purchased some they were only about $20-$25 each, maybe just got a good deal. I just looked and the price is now well over $100 each. I use the Maxwell 35-180 UD, that is what the bias is set for my my Otari 5050.

Does anyone have good outlet for the type of tapes I need, or if you have some laying around.

Appreciate it.

Cigarbum

I feel for you. Tape prices have really spiked in the last couple of months. I no longer own any R2R hardware but for some reason I still check tape prices.

My best guess is that the supply is drying up. R2R use has seen a a resurgence in popularity the last couple of years. I'm seeing pre-recorded 7" tapes that I sold for 5 or 10 bucks now going for 50 to 100 bucks. I guess I should have waited a little longer. I just shudder when I think of the lot of 50 pre-recorded tapes that I sold for $250 and felt like I'd made out like a bandit. Today I could get several thousand for those.

As more and more refurbished R2R decks come in to use hopefully someone will see a business opportunity and go back in to the tape production business. Surely the formulation patents have long since expired. The manufacturing process was mastered years ago so rocket science isn't necessary. Sounds to me like a "niche" market just waiting to be fulfilled

Where did you get your Otari? Did Mike Lindsey hook you up with the folks that did the refurb on his? That was a really nice deck. I got to play with it for a couple of hours. Somehow I never managed to own an Otari (wanted to) though I think I owned just about every other brand at one point or another. I always had a "soft spot" for the Revox machines and owned several of them. Loved every one.

Need to check into that. I have quite a few 10" reels of lightly used Maxell, et al.

I only use mine for pre-recorded acqusitions and such and have no interest in making new ones as I am quite satisfied with hi res digital.

Still love to sit and watch the reels turn, though.

Dave

Jeff, I got Mike's 5050, great machine. I will check out some of the links you guys suggested and check ebay. If anyone has any 10.5 reel with used tape, I'll buy. If anyone runs across some, let me know. Thanks for your time. Cigarbum

I have about 20 or so Maxell UDXL tapes that were lightly used.if you are interested I would entertain offers. I thought I wanted to go that route but have changed my mind. I have some 7 in NOS as well.

Jeff, I got Mike's 5050, great machine. I will check out some of the links you guys suggested and check ebay. If anyone has any 10.5 reel with used tape, I'll buy.
If anyone runs across some, let me know.
Thanks for your time.

Cigarbum

Hey Cigarbum,

What do you mean you got Mike's 5050??? Did he sell it to you to get something else???

Jay

Jay, yes I did purchase Mike's Otari 5050II, I don't know how many he had, but I got one of them. The machine is in wonderful condition.

Yes, and I too love to watch the reels go round.

Brad, Yes I would be interested in the purchase of some of your tapes, the 10.5 Maxwell, do they have the metal reels?

Appreciate all the help.

Cigarbum

Jeff, I got Mike's 5050, great machine. I will check out some of the links you guys suggested and check ebay. If anyone has any 10.5 reel with used tape, I'll buy.
Thanks for your time.

Cigarbum

Hey Cigarbum,

What do you mean you got Mike's 5050??? Did he sell it to you to get something else???

Jay

Hey Jay, yes, I sold CB the Otari 5050 so am without deck at the moment. To be honest with you I just didn't have time to fuss with it.I barely have enough time to spin records. [:)] I hope things are going well for you.

Mike

R2R used to be a buyer's market. I've given away more decks than I can remember just 'cause I didn't have any space for them but they all came from yard sales, thrift shops and local classifieds and at prices that were too good to pass up (I'm slowing curing myself of this affliction). I always held on to the tapes though thinking they would eventually have a use. I'm down to 4 decks now (1 Tascam, 1 Teac and 2 Akais) but I have boxes of pre-recorded and blank tapes.

It must've been over 8 years ago, I responded to an ad in Craigslist for an Akai GX-400D and met the guy later that evening. Nice fella who was cleaning out his uncle's house and originally said that the deck only had the tape that was on it. The deck checked out fine and I agreed on his price which was ridiculously low even back then but when I came back to thank him after lugging the deck to my car (the thing weighs a ton!), his wife came upstairs with a box of accessories and a few pre-recorded tapes. The tapes weren't anything to get excited about - mostly classical and pop like Herb Alpert and the Carpenters but lo and behold, there was the deck's remote control, a bulk eraser, tape cleaner - all sorts of neat stuff. I was pretty excited and asked what they wanted for it but the guy said it went with the deck and he wouldn't feel right charging me anything. The wife also added that there was another box but she couldn't lift it so the fella runs downstairs and comes up with a full case of Maxell UD 35-180 10" tapes and another 4-5 180B tapes and a couple of metal reels on top. That's works out to about 30 reels of tape, all but 4 of which were still sealed (I've never bothered to find out if the opened tapes had anything recorded on them). Again, I asked how much he wanted and again, he said they went with the deck. At this point, I felt like was taking advantage of them and all but insisted they take something for the tapes but he was just as adamant that I take them away stating he was happy just to be able to clear out some more space in the house.I live for nights like that!

I too, haven't spent much time playing with the decks as much of my listening time is spent cleaning and spinning LPs but every so often I'll record or play a tape and I'm delighted with the sound. I rarely listen to the pre-recorded tapes although I do have a few very nice ones (Beatles, Lennon, CSN&Y, etc.) but these are 7.5ips and my preference is listening to LPs I've recorded at 15ips and I more often than not, just pull and play the record before the tape.

Thanks for your time.

Cigarbum

Hey Cigarbum,

Jay

Hey Jay, yes, I sold CB the Otari 5050 so am without deck at the moment. To be honest with you I just didn't have time to fuss with it.I barely have enough time to spin records. Smile I hope things are going well for you.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks things are just fine still playing tapes and spinning records, about to start recording my Blue Note Collection!!! This is gonna be a huge task but the results will be well worth the effort!!!

Jay