Which room for home theater?

Kain

I have attached an extremely rough and crude drawing of two rooms that I
can use for my home theater. The one on the left is "Room 1" and is my
current home theater room. The one on the right is another room that I
could use for the home theater. Which do you think is better? I will get
better stereo separation in the second room due to it being possible to
place the front speakers more wider apart.

Green = speakers

Brown = couch

http://s9.beta.photobucket.com/user/harisellahi/media/Hometheater.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I find room 2 to be better.

But as you have room 1 as you current room, I thought I would just throw out an idea for it. Move the desk and shelf (if they are movable) and use that "right" wal for the fronts. You do not need the speakers completely in the corner. But use most of that wall and put the subwoofer up "front" on that right wall. Put the surrounds on the "top and bottom" walls. The couch will then partially block the area to the terrace.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the replies. It seems basically all of you favor room 2. However, I've read that rooms that are squares or close to squares are bad for sound. Is this true? Will it be a problem?

Secondly, I will not be able to place the surrounds on the side walls in room 2 like I do in room 1. This is because the left wall has an A/C vent and, secondly, the upper part of the left wall is not a "real wall" and won't be able to support the speaker. That is why I have placed them on the back wall and angled them towards the listening position. Any problem here too? I'll probably need a wall mount for the RS-7s and mount them to the back wall but angle them so that they still project sound towards the listening position rather than towards the front wall.

I find room 2 to be better.

But as you have room 1 as you current room, I thought I would just throw out an idea for it. Move the desk and shelf (if they are movable) and use that "right" wal for the fronts. You do not need the speakers completely in the corner. But use most of that wall and put the subwoofer up "front" on that right wall. Put the surrounds on the "top and bottom" walls. The couch will then partially block the area to the terrace.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the feedback. I did think of that too but there is a door under the current position of the right surround so it will get awful tight.

Well you use about 8.5 feet for your current setup. Even on the "right" wall in room one, you might have more room minus the doorway than you currently have. I was just thinking the door might open out of the room. The speakers do not need to be in the corner (unless they are khorns). Just a thought for if that room indeed worked better for the house. The sub could be moved to a side wall.

Thanks for the replies. It seems basically all of you favor room 2. However, I've read that rooms that are squares or close to squares are bad for sound. Is this true? Will it be a problem?

Secondly, I will not be able to place the surrounds on the side walls in room 2 like I do in room 1. This is because the left wall has an A/C vent and, secondly, the upper part of the left wall is not a "real wall" and won't be able to support the speaker. That is why I have placed them on the back wall and angled them towards the listening position. Any problem here too? I'll probably need a wall mount for the RS-7s and mount them to the back wall but angle them so that they still project sound towards the listening position rather than towards the front wall.

If I was in your position and I had the option of setting up in room 2, I would move the couch up towards the tv. Since you're only able to place the surrounds on the back wall, having your couch away from it would probably allow for better "audio symmetry". Being right next to them as you have drawn would make the surrounds very apparent and "in your face". Perhaps it is just my personal preference, but I like a more ambient experience.

I agree with everyone else.

I would move the sofa up a few/couple feet for better sound BUT put the sub on the front wall.

Totally agree wth moving the sofa. [Y]

Dtel, I was going to inquire though as to why you think it better to put the sub on the front wall. Is that just personal preferece?

I have to ask, from what I can remember reading, a sub in the back of the room is harder to get to sound right. Is that true ?

I have never tried it, but that's why I said it.

Guess that answers my question... I am curious though as to where you got this information. I am thinking of doing a bit of "rearrangement" and was pondering on the idea of putting subs behind the listening position on opposite ends. Either that or putting them on opposite walls facing inward in front of the listening position but not on the sides of the tv (refer to Kain's room 2 drawing to get a better understanding of what I mean). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Moderators

Dtel, I was going to inquire though as to why you think it better to put the sub on the front wall. Is that just personal preferece?

No not personal, I was just thinking it might be harder to get it to sound right especially with the sofa close to the back wall also ? I have never tried it, my room is open behind where you sit. (another room)

That's why I asked again later, I thought I remembered reading here that it was harder to make it sound good compared to the front or front side wall. I do remember reading it was really hard to get a coffee table sub to sound right also, I only remember reading this because I thought about trying the coffee table sub at one time but didn't after reading that.

The reason I said pull the sofa up a little was remembering problems people had with it flat on the back wall, it can reflect alot of sound off the back wall easily with your head that close to the rear wall and the rears can be hard to get right also.

But like always each room does different things so I guess nothing is exactly the same for every room, if it can be tried cheaply try it out, you never know it could turn out well ?

In room 1, the current room for the home theater, I have the sofa a couple inches from the back wall. That is as far as I can take it due to the layout of the room. In the proposed room 2, I can and will move the sofa up a couple feet from the back wall.