Darts

Deang

You never know what's going to show up at the ole' garage sale. I was going to go straight to ebay with these and then thought that maybe someone here might be interested.

I throw very little anymore because of my back problems, and I have more of these than I know what to do with -- time to thin out the herd I figure.

First up are a very rare set of Hammerheads with 16g barrels. They don't make these anymore. Both sets are identical except for the minor cosmetic differences. These were only thrown for a few months and then I moved up to 18g barrels. $100.00 each, shipped.

post-3205-13819829289266_thumb.jpg

Another 16gm Hammerhead set with no tips, $75.00 -- followed by an 18gm set, $100.00. I can't remember the brand of the last set. 1/4" smooth 90% tungsten barrels coming in at 22gm.

All of these darts are 90% tungsten, almost like new condition, and rare.

post-3205-1381982930078_thumb.jpg

Still have my set of 22's (maybe they were 26's - i'll have to check). Hammerheads indeed were the rage at one time. Had replaced my tips more than once. I'll have to look for them. Had no idea they'd be worth that today - although mine are much more used. My best throwing was with feathered flights. Cool posting. No interest in the purchase but cool posting.

For those not specifically familiar with Hammerheads, the point retracts into the barrel upon contact with the Boar Bristle board and the barrel sliding forward into the retracting point "hammers" it into the board. The intent is to minimize bounce outs. When throwing 3 darts into say the triple 20's space, sometimes a barrel deflection can cause a tip to hit a wire and this hammer effect helps drive the point into the board, instead of the dart falling to the floor resulting in no score. Something akin to a gutter ball in Bowling. Smaller diameter barrels typically are easier to fit multiples into the tripple ring, but are often lighter in weight. Larger diameter barrels are a tighter fit but have more weight to squeeze their way in. Good darters often will "click" barrels when they are on their game. Pretty amazing how good some throwers are.

The retractable points require they be pulled out prior to each throw and the mechanism that keeps them fully extended can wear over repeated poundings, thus requiring replacement.

Nice ones, once upon a time I played darts 4-6 hours a day 7 days a week. If I recall, the Hammerheads were designed so that if you hit a wire the "follow through" of the hammer would drive the dart past the wire rather than bounce off. I used 26 oz ones. Seems that they were over $200 for 90/10 or 95/5 tungsten / steel back 30 years ago.