Forte II VS La Scala

Ajcrash

I've never heard a pair of La Scala's, but I do own a pair of Forte II's and KLF's. With that said, I have a chance to buy a pair of La Scala's locally, the gentleman selling them is asking $1000 for the pair. He says he has 3 pairs available, one has been updated (which I assume he means re-capped) and another pair has been re-finished, though he was uncertain if the re-finished pair was the pair that had been upgraded. That should be easy enough for me to determine if I go check them out.

If I bought these I would have to get rid of my Forte II's, though I'm not certain switching would be the best choice. I would be able to offset the purchase price by nearly half so essentially the Scalla's would only cost me $500 out of pocket. So the funds isn't a huge matter.

I'm mainly wondering if acoustically this would be a wise move on my part. They would be going in a small room (my home office) the dimensions are roughly 10x10 which the Forte's more than fill. I know these x V.S. y questoins are fairly subjective to the listeners ear, but any input I could get comparing the two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

I like the Lascala more than the Forte, but in a 10x10 room I would probably keep the forte's

. To me if you had a little more room so you could give the LaScalas a little more power to help bring up the bass I would pick LaScalas.

You didn't say how you use them, if with a small sub I would probably pick the LaScalas.

But 10x10 is small but go listen and see what you think, that price is a little high unless there in really good shape but local pickup helps alot.

Thanks for the quick response.

That is one thing I really like about the Forte I don't need a sub at all, so no I probably wouldn't add a sub for this application. I can't even count the number of things I've shook off the walls and broken in the office. I run the Forte off an older Denon amp at 90wpc (if I rember the WPC correctly) hooked up through my PC.

I thought the price was a tad high myself, I've seen them go for a couple hundred less in the area. They are only about 45 minutes awayso it wouldn't hurt to load up the family and take a little road trip. To be honest I wasn't even looking for any new speakers, the wife found them on craigslist Friday night and already gave me the greenlight on them, the caveat being I'd have to get rid of the Forte's. I tried to talk her into letting me stack, but that didn't go over.

Here is a link showing the only photo, I did request others to show the overall condition but the seller never sent them.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/3603855689.html

Hey if the wife gave you the green light, you have nothing to lose. If there is a chance that at some point you might have more space, i'd give them a try for sure. they drop off at about 45Hz. I'm with dtel on this, 10 by 10 is small, however like i said, if there is a chance that you might use them in a larger space it could be worth it.

I think the la scala's are far more dynamic than the forte would be.

Wife = green light = new speakers = perfect = best wife ever...

Yes, the size of them for the room dimensions is another concern I have. I'm not certain thy would have enough room to breathe in here. Initially when I first got into Klipsch speakers the wife though I was nuts for spending the amount I was. Then she heard it all put together and was wowed. Now she browses CL for deals far more than I do. Lol.

I'm assuming those are the ones that were re-finished, and he hasn't posted or forwarded photos of the other 2 pairs he has. The ones pictured are likely gone, he told me he had someone else coming up from Sacramento last night to audition some.

I would be looking for a CF3. Which KLF do you have? The two way CF will integrate over the shortest possible distance and you have a small room. The CF also do not require a sub but they will need a solid amp. In a small room like yours I think an good but inexpensive pair of stereo amplifiers would work best with a CF3 and 40 - 50 watts a channel will rock hard for you. Raise the CF3 up so the centre of the horn s at your seated ear level for the best possible sound. Best regards Moray James.

Oh Man! Go get those!!

I found my 1979 La Scalas on Sac Craigslist for $1100 from the original owner. I replaced the crossovers for $300 and have never ever, thought about getting better speakers.

Sure 10 x 10 is a little small, but if you can get them in, you won't be sorry. And look at it this way, a 10 wpc amp with Rock those speakers! [;)]

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I have KLF 20's, C-7, RS-3 II and a RW-12d in my living room for my HT setup. I run the Forte's in my office in a 2 channel setup. Realistically, I need more speakers like I need a hole in the head. When the wife saw them she knew what they were and that it was a decent price. Eventually we will be moving somewhere else with more room and I'll be able to put this gear to better use with the space. Presently floor layouts prevent us from getting the most out of everything.

I have an appointment set up with the seller to audition them tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what pans out.

Is their a less invasive way I can take a peak at the woofer to ensure it is original other than opening the cabinet up? Such as an automotive flexible mirror. I don't want the guy to get spooked if I ask to open them up.

Really about the only places I don't have a setup is in our front room which either my office or main HT setup easily covers. Their is the Master bedroom, and I've tried for that; it's a no-go with the WAF. Though presently we have a cheapo in the box HT Sony setup in their, so I may be able to press the issue a bit more.

Yeh. I'd go and listen to the scalas just to hear them. The price could be OK if they are as you expect.

You mention your concern about room size and I'd agree. pretty much what dtel said.

The Forte II's sound great in the smaller room and don't need a sub. Scalas do need some room to breathe. I use a sub with my LaScalas.

perhaps ironical, but i think one can get by with a smaller room using khorns than scalas.

bottom line, you are all ready very well served with Forte II's. I don't think I'd have a recommendation on how you could improve the sound in your room. The sound is already very, very good.

btw, love your avatar. saw alot of those album covers back in the day.

Have had Fortes and have khorns now. Have heard the la scalas. Strictly for that room, i'd stay with the fortes. The la scalas will not reach down as low without a sub. For a room large enough(subjective), I'd go la scalas w/sub. BTW, congratulations on finding an audio-friendly wife. I'm lucky enough to have one too.

Thanks, I'll go check them out tomorrow. Like I said, the guy has 3 pairs he's getting rid of. He told me he had them for a HT system, but decided to go with in wall speakers.
Yep, I love the old album art, like so many things they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

I prefer a tricked out KLF20 to a Forte ll. You need to replace the poly tweeter diaphragms in the KLF with ti versions or even phenolic versions if you have a pair kicking around. That said a well set up and tewaked CF3 will better either the Forte or the KLF. I think that shot of efficiency the CF3 or 4 are the best Klipsch has to offer. On the other hand and I have said this before efficiency is a powerful drug and is probapby the hardest to let go of once you have taken it. Go listen and see what you think. As much as I love efficiency I have to have a realistic sounding soundstage or I am not happy listening. You may feel differently about it. Let us know what you decide tomorrow. Best regards Moray James.

True, I have been meaning to upgrade to TI, but I have to stop buying other speakers in the mean time to afford that. I know it's not that expensive to go to the TI untill I factor in how many I would need to do everything I have.

Thanks for the input everyone.