A review of Bob Crites' Types A and AL3 crossovers for La Scala speakers by Boomzilla

Boomzilla

I got my La Scalas (1982 vintage) via Craigslist. Along with the speakers came a pair of vacuum tube monoblock amplifiers. With the tube amps, the La Scalas produced the very best sound I'd ever heard. Not being satisfied with perfection, I opted to look for "upgrades."

Being wary of the vintage crossovers, I got in touch with Mr. Crites for replacements. The first recommendation, based on the fact that I don't play my speakers very loudly, was the Crites Type A crossover. I ordered a pair and installed them. The speakers sounded good, but not as good as with the original crossovers. I opted to e-Bay the type A's and try out (again at Mr. Crites' recommendation) his Type AL3 crossovers.

Mr. Crites specifically said (and I quote from his e-mail): "Most people do not like the sound of the AL crossover, but if you do, then staying with the AL line of crossover with the AL-3 may be what you want. The main problem with the AL is that it cut back the midrange too much. The AL-3 allows the midrange to go back closer to the way it was in the A and AA crossovers that came before the AL. So, if you like the midrange and tweeter performance of the A, then going to the AL-3 would keep that and give you a bass to midrange transition like the AL."

I installed the AL3 crossovers, and immediately had a "presence bloom." The speakers (still with tube amplification) now had singers "in the room with you." The effect was frequency-specific and, I believe, an artifact of the tube amps that was previously hidden by the antique crossovers. With solid-state amplification and the Crites crossovers, the sound was balanced. With the tube amps, not so much so. Apparently, the midrange bloom was there all along with the tube amps. It just took some properly-performing crossovers to make it so apparent.

So my conclusion is: If you LIKE the sound of your La Scalas with the stock crossovers (regardless of age), then think carefully before replacing them.

PS:

I have discovered that the Crites A and AL-3 crossovers are not Crites designs, but rather Klipsch circuits that he rebuilds with current components. I didn't know that. What I do know is that a 30-year-old original crossover sounds different than either of Mr. Crites rebuilds. The difference is probably caused by the aging capacitors in the vintage original crossovers. That MY original crossovers just happened to create a sound that I liked is probably not the average experience.

So in summary, I believe that Mr. Crites' crossovers are well-made, fairly-priced, and restore the speakers to original performance specifications. The fact that I preferred the sound of my original (and, apparently, not-performing-to-spec) crossovers should be seen as an anomaly and NOT caused by any shortcomings of Mr. Crites' products.

• Like 1

I don't believe this is a review of "Bob Crites' Types A and AL3 Crossovers for La Scala speakers".

I believe this is a review of Boomzilla experience with said crossovers.

I'm just sayin'! [;)]

My experience was very different, but I use Bob's "Type A/AA Convertible crossovers".

Dennie

You must have some good ears! What are your original crossovers? There are caps you can purchase to rebuild them and keep the original Klipsch tonal voicing but allow more detail through. In my opinion using modern efficient transparent capacitors on Klipsch crossovers originally designed with not so transparent caps really destroys the sound... You end up taking it from a somewhat veiled but balanced sound to a overly detailed out of balance nails in the forehead sound.... I found this out about 10 years ago.. If you want the best components available in your crossovers they have to be designed and voiced with those in place in the first place... That is ALK engineering territory.

If you would like cap choice advise feel free to email me. Please no forum PM's

...What are your original crossovers?...

Alas - I sold my originals on eBay to capitalize the new ones. Although the sound is definitely "different" with the Crites crossovers, I wouldn't say that it's bad at all. With my specific amplifiers (what they are doesn't make any difference because nobody else will have the same ones and the sound issue may be specific to mine), I preferred the sound with the original crossovers. If I go to solid-state amplification, then the Crites crossovers sound MUCH better, IMHO.

My options, at this point, may be two: Buy some more original Klipsch crossovers in hopes of restoring the magic or else go to solid state amplification, and just enjoy the sound. Since the second option is easy to try out (I'll keep the tube amps until I'm sure), I'll play around with some nice transistor amps & see how I like.

Thanks for the feedback - Boomzilla

• 7 years later...

When did Klipsch change from oil based capacitors? I have 1976 Klipschorns All original  I also have 1988 Heresy's that sound excellent with 15 watts but are blown a way by the old K-horns even outside the base.     Thanks  Don