finally got an ipod..help

hugeroost

so I finally got me an ipod, not sure of the model but roughly 300 bucks. I understand there are many ways to download music on these things, some good, some not so much, as far as fidelity is concered. My kids go to itunes or some other website to download their songs, but i"ve heard that dosnt sound as good as maybe going from a cd. There just seems to be many different ways to put music on these things, which I really dont understand, old school here. I currently have a main at my home and another main at my ranch, both are very good systems, so sound quality is important. I intend to buy docking stations for each location, maybe onkyo, and run the ipod through the aux port. I have read that depending on how you do it some ways takes up more space than others, I dont think that would be a concern here as this thing will hold a ton of music anyway, my concern is the sound, I want the best I can get outa this little thing. You guys thats gone through this can you give me some advise, I kinda like the idea of ripping from my current cd"s, I have nearly 300 to chose from. Thanks fellas, Roost

There are at least a few different "loss-less" file types that you can use. I myself use FLAC. You should get about 3 cd's per GB so you will need around 100 gigs of space and some type of player. You will want to rip on a desktop and then transfer, I use WINAMP. I'm sure others will chime in but this should put you on the right path.

actually got it for christmas, my teenage daughter said it was 300, i"m thinking she meant the pod and the boots I got. I"m taking it back and getting the classic so still need advise on the best way to get high fidelity out of this thing. I have never listened to one before, I do have a nice set of cans so I cant wait to get going. I started an exercise regiment feb 1 which consist of alot of bicycle riding, thats where the ipod should come in real handy. Any advise is appreciated.......Roost

if you want to use it on your home system you need a dock that takes the digital bits from the IPOD and bypasses its internal DAC.

the 100% best bang for your buck is to get the Pure I20 dock off of Amazon. It makes Pandora sound very pleasing - I also use Spotify and stream at 320kbps. the sound is spectacular and makes me realize how important a high quality DAC is in your components. Something I was not educated on before but I am a believer now.

"For its analog output, i-20 again extracts the digital signal and uses its
Cirrus 4353 hi-fi quality DAC and high-precision low-jitter clock to deliver
true hi-fi audio performance levels with a -105dB signal to noise ratio, better
than -93dB THD+N and 2V RMS audio output from its 24-bit 192KHz digital audio
processor"

http://www.amazon.com/PURE-i-20-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360722811&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+i20

if you want to use it on your home system you need a dock that takes the digital bits from the IPOD and bypasses its internal DAC ... the 100% best bang for your buck is to get the Pure I20 dock off of Amazon ... the sound is spectacular and makes me realize how important a high quality DAC is in your components.

+1

I don't know about the Pure I20 in particular, but ousig's general point is very good. I can't imagine Apple implemented a high quality analogue line out on the iPod. However, using a lossless audio format like others have mentioned with a product like the Pure I20 would probably produce very good results.

10000 songs is probably if all the songs were ripped as 128s. For *most* people, 320mp3 is going to be sufficient, and supposedly the method that apple uses makes 256aac=320mp3 in terms of sound quality. Not 100% on that tho. Google play offers 320mp3s so that's where I tend to buy my music now. And as someone said above, you can rip the CD lossless with itunes, but you aren't going to fit as many songs on the ipod.

Before you go out and spend any more money on a larger capacity ipod consider that you can rotate whats on your ipod through smart playlists in iTunes. There was a guy that set this up so that everytime he synced he got a distribution of songs using the rating system to get more 4 and 5 star songs than 2 and 3 star with only one or two 1 star. He said it took about six months before he heard more than one or two repeats of the lower rated songs while the best songs he would hear once a week.

I never pursued it as I am too lazy to rate my library because I do most of my listening in home.

Ride strong.[H]