SW-112 or SW-450

Hutch1814

Ok I posted a few weeks ago about needing a sub, I'm down to these 2. I can't listen to an SW-450 in best buy and get a good feel for it but went to a local klipsch dealer today and listened to both the 110 and 112. Both sounded great and the 110 had a little better response but the 112 I believe would be the better buy considering the size if room. I'm looking at around 450 for the 110 and 550 for the 112. I can pick up the SW-450 for around 350 but I'm still worried about it not being what I expect since I can't listen to it in an actually room. Even the BB magnolia won't move one for me. Seems like bad customer service or just lazy salesmen. Any who, any ideas on which way to go and anybody have any experience with these subs? Thanks in advance!

Please consider a different brand. Klipsch does not make the greatest subs anymore. Look into something like the bic pl-200. It is a powerhouse with a great warranty and worth every penny. Acoustic sound design is the best place to buy. Can be had for under 300. Otherwise something like the rw-12d from newegg at 299 would also be good. It if you are set in spending 500 maybe one of the news svs subs? Take a look at Internet dealers like svs and hsu as well. Get slot more bang for your buck

I had an SW 450: it is a very nice sub. Plenty of mid bass and was good for movies and music with my Icon V HT. The rw-12d is also a great buy. SVS is one of the best bang for you bucks for around $500 and has great resale value. The SW 450 is a 10 in. sub, IMO 12 or 15 in. subs are a better buy and will dig deeper for HT. Tell us about the room you will use the sub in and is it for music, movies, or both? Do you like to feel the subsonic bass? This info will help you not have to need an upgrade in the near future.

The room is fairly large. 11 feet by 21 feet. I sit about 18 feet from the tv. I use more for HT and gaming. Little music and when I do play music it's very low anymore. I get the rare time when the house is empty and I'm cleaning to turn it up but mostly HT and gaming. I like the subsonic bass but I really like to just have an all around good sounding experience when I watch movies. I'd like to stay with a klipsch sub so all match. I know there is better subs out there but I'm at the point I want to see the same emblem on everything (why I don't know). Is there anther sub around 4-600 that klipsch produces that I would like better? I really dont want the rw-12d just for the fact its discontiuned and have no way of hearing it. The SW-115 is too big and I don't feel like the SW-110 would do what I want. I NEED HELP! lol

The room is fairly large. 11 feet by 21 feet. I sit about 18 feet from the tv. I use more for HT and gaming. Little music and when I do play music it's very low anymore. I get the rare time when the house is empty and I'm cleaning to turn it up but mostly HT and gaming. I like the subsonic bass but I really like to just have an all around good sounding experience when I watch movies. I'd like to stay with a klipsch sub so all match. I know there is better subs out there but I'm at the point I want to see the same emblem on everything (why I don't know). Is there anther sub around 4-600 that klipsch produces that I would like better? I really dont want the rw-12d just for the fact its discontiuned and have no way of hearing it.

If you want to keep it all Klipsch, stretch your budget to $600.00 and just get two RW-12d's from New Egg. I know you can't go hear it in a store but maybe a close Indy forum member will let you take a listen. Don't forget to use the $50.00 off promo code when you order them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Or maybe two of these:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549185018

Bill

That's what I would do. But honestly only one I would buy from Klipsch in the new series would be the sw-115. I'm telling you the new svs will probably be your best bet. Not too big and svs is known for being bottom dwellers. It will play lower than any Klipsch except maybe the sw-115 and sounds like with your listening levels it would be perfect. Probably much cleaner bass than the Klipsch sw line as well

Please consider a different brand. Klipsch does not make the greatest subs anymore. Look into something like the bic pl-200. It is a powerhouse with a great warranty and worth every penny. Acoustic sound design is the best place to buy. Can be had for under 300. Otherwise something like the rw-12d from newegg at 299 would also be good. It if you are set in spending 500 maybe one of the news svs subs? Take a look at Internet dealers like svs and hsu as well. Get slot more bang for your buck

ouch

Thanks guy! I was looking at going the other route but couldn't pass up the deal. As for the sub, I love it! Played the dark knight part when the joker blows up the hospital...sounds good but needs tweaking. And that's where I'm having an issue. It sounds really good, blends perfect with my towers but once you really crank it it over powers the entire room, any ideas? It's sitting in the front left corner of the room, and I'm wondering if moving it all the way to the back behind the couch would help any? Any suggestions from the pros?

I would most likely think if its overpowering then its running to high. Or that specific scene could have a certain frequency that the sub has a peak playing in the corner so it gets loud. Most Klipsch subs I have heard except rsw, rt series tend to be a bit boomy. A sub eq could help tame that puppy a lot! You could always try the sub crawl and make sure it's in the best spot. Also pulling it out if a corner will tame the boominess as well. It will take some more oomph out mid wall, but the bass will

Be cleaner.

Well that's why I'm thinking of moving it to the back. The entire front wall is taken from equipment and moving the sub out further in the front is a no go. I've got it set to 3/4 on the gain and a little under half on volume. From what I've read I should set the gain all the way and let the A/V receiver send the signal and having the gain up will allow the sub to produce the signals being sent to it? Am I reading this correct?

If you have the gain on the sub all the wy up, you will most likeley cause distortion in the sub's amp. I did't look to see which receiver you have but usually Audessey does not like the gain too high on a sub. I would set it at about 50% and re run the EQ. Also, your listening style might be different than mine, but I usually bypass the crossover built into the sub and set the LFE channel to about 80 Hz.

• Like 1

Yeah try the gain at 50% and let us know where the avr sets the level at. You are somewhat correct in what you read. You want run your gain as high as you can as long as your avr can correct it. So how I do is start half way, run audyssey and only do one spot. Then calculate. If your avr sets gain in sub all the way down then the sub is still to high. But if its at -3 or something then the sub gain can go higher. My level in my avr goes to -12db so I try to get my sub as huh as possible with my avr correcting it down to -11.5 db. Then it's perfect.