Subwoofer risers?

MichaelandKlipsch

yeah it was just an idea some thing I read but for right now I'm actually done purchasing things for the room I got everything that is needed really and or now it's just time to start finishing up mounting and hooking this up. the acoustic panels made a humongous audible difference I think I'm going to pass on these risers

• Moderators

I used to think Acoustic Panels were snake oil but now it make so much sense why they work. Too much sound bouncing around a room isn't a good thing. Makes the audio less intelligible.

Last week, I had a friend over and was giving him a demo. He said he wasn't sure if it was my amp or pre/pro but he noticed how the room got real quiet between songs. I told him it was the acoustic panels.

I use some DYI risers that I made. If you use some acoustic foam underneath the riser it can absorb some of the LF sound and improve SQ. I made two risers for about $35. IMHO I feel the bass in the room is cleaner and they look good. They also make the subs easier to move around. Maybe I have to much free time on my hands some weekends, but they were a fun project. I wanted the risers to decouple the bass from the hardwood floor, which I did not notice much of a difference. By my spl meter post risers, 6 db higher. I think they help deal with axial modes, jmo.[8-|]

Youthman: yeah you took your advice did a lot of research and as you can tell from the photos in my construction mode I put up a lot of panels 11 total and although I havent been able to audition the rooms sound quality yet since I have a speaker less theater until Sat I can tell the room is ultra-quiet. No echo whatsoever plus it looks extremely good like a theater. It makes the room cozy and quiet.

Derrickdj1: Hey those do look great Im not sure that Im going to add them for my particular room I have no bass issues whatsoever since I moved all 4 subs in a line under the TV. It was just a thought at first but I like the way the7 look and sound as of now My house has extra thick carpet and the highest grade rubber carpet pad that was available on the market when I built the house. If they were on wood floors Id probably add them but Im going to opt out for them. Ill work on another project for now maybe add the Anthem A2 with my A5 next month or something. Or maybe start my darn Salt Water tank down in the study already haha.

Auralex Gramma or Great-Gramma depending on which size you'd need for your subs. Not sure if forward-firing subs will benefit as much as downward-firing subs but I put together a DIY type Gramma and there was a huge difference. I actually had to lower my sub's output level.

I put together a DIY type Gramma and there was a huge difference. I actually had to lower my sub's output level

Just getting the subs off the ground seem to be of some benefits. As much money as we spend on audio gear, a DYI risers is cheap and worth a try. It sure is nice for moving them around also. I have 1 in acoustic foam on the bottom of the risers.

For the typical 8 ft ceiling, a riser can be as high as 1-2 ft depending on the size of the sub and if it is filled with acoustic foam, it will also function as bass trap. The most pronounced effect will be on axial and vertical room modes. It is hard to put up acoustic panels that are tick enough for asthetic reason to deal with frequencies under 50 Hz.

I know that on my hardwood flooring an Auralex Subdude made a noticeable difference. I looked into making my own to try it out but my wife offered to buy it for my birthday so I said "Why not"?

The first thing I noticed was that the stuff hanging on the walls did not rattle as much. Also the bass became tighter with less boomy output. Overall the sound was cleaner with a more linear frequency response. The only thing I added was the Subdude under my 12" Velodyne.

• Like 1

AFAIK the main change with a riser is the frequency the woofer floor bounce reinforces at the listening position. Make a triangle from the direct distance as one leg, and the other two legs the down to the floor such that the "bounce" is aimed at you. The two different arrival times result in some frequencies reinforcing, and some canceling. Woofer coupling or loading maybe also an issue with farther from the floor resulting in less low bass.

I figure Klipsch understands this pretty well and has the option of locating the woofer at any height on the face they choose, why diddle with it?

I figure Klipsch understands this pretty well and has the option of locating the woofer at any height on the face they choose, why diddle with it?

Because every room is different.[;)] This is one of those subject that some people like and others find little advantage of doing.

Concern I have is that different almost always seems appealing, putting a sub on risers will change the frequency response, boosting a point higher I think in the low end than without a riser. Mid bass bumps are often appealing, initially. The trick is know where you want to end up so you don't bounce around changing, but not improving the sound.

I know that on my hardwood flooring an Auralex Subdude made a noticeable difference. I looked into making my own to try it out but my wife offered to buy it for my birthday so I said "Why not"?

The first thing I noticed was that the stuff hanging on the walls did not rattle as much. Also the bass became tighter with less boomy output. Overall the sound was cleaner with a more linear frequency response. The only thing I added was the Subdude under my 12" Velodyne.

+1

I bought a great gramma a couple of years ago to try to tame vibrations and it made things a lot more enjoyable while watching movies. It may not have the same effects in every room but it was definitely worth it in my situation.