OPPO BDP-105 Ordered

TasDom

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for some additional cables to arrive

I already ordered the HDMI cable from Monoprice. I will have all of the cables I need when I order mine.

Mongo, Oppo includes a 6' HDMI cable at no xtra charge

Yes it's included but at "no extra charge" may be somewhat subjective.[^o)]

I have to agree totally. There is nothing like a piece of gear that is built to last.

I picked up one of these Denon DCD-3520 CD players(used of course) a couple of years ago and the build quality is second to none. That is why 24 years after mfr'd it performs and looks like new. Copper plated chassis, caps larger than those in many amps, and tipping the scales at 40lbs.

That's a really nice looking CD player Bill. [Y] It's unfortunate that today's standards used by most of the mass marketed mfg's aren't up to par of years past.

Mongo,

I just noticed you have an ATI amplifier. I hear such good things about them like excellent build quality and low impedence driving capabilities and am surprised more people around here don't own them. I know the Outlaw Audio amps are affiliated with ATI and quite a few on the forum own them. The ATI's are of a bipolar output transistor design so I am sure the bass drive with them is awesome.

Bill

This is a question I have been asked

Why would you spend that kind of money ...when you can get a bluray player for a hundred bucks???

Nice purchase

Not to rain on anyone's parade (buying gear is fun), but I see a BR as a transport. It gets the bits off onto HDMI. Since I wouldn't use the DACs or any of the fancy stuff, I use a $130 Sony. If it breaks, I'll buy another. It's going to be obsolete within 5 years anyway.

Why would you spend that kind of money ...when you can get a bluray player for a hundred bucks???

Nice purchase

Not to rain on anyone's parade (buying gear is fun), but I see a BR as a transport. It gets the bits off onto HDMI. Since I wouldn't use the DACs or any of the fancy stuff, I use a $130 Sony. If it breaks, I'll buy another. It's going to be obsolete within 5 years anyway.

I agree most Blu-ray players are transports, but BDP-105 can be used both as a Processor and DAC with better results than most High Processors and DACs.

Purchase:

BDP-105 -$1,200

Sold:

McIntosh MX-132 +$1,250

Bel Canto DAC3 +$1,325

$+250 Did not need to purchase Transport level Blu-ray and cables for wife's room, she has to struggle with Oppo BDP-95.

= +$2,825 more cash plus better performance using fewer cables and less cabinet space!

Not possible with $200 Transport.

Nice purchase

That may be true but you can say the same thing about watts (and lots of other things). The oppo does have the better picture on my screen. If i had your big screen psg i would grab an oppo in a heart beat. I mean $500 is nothing in your room.

Nice purchase

That's like saying I'm going to buy a HTIB set of speakers instead of Klipsch because speakers are just for sound. The 103 doesn't have the upscale DACs, but the picture is still better than what it was with my PS3.

Didn't mean to start anything but every time I talk to friends (the ones who don't care about home theater) about Oppo Digital they look at me like I am saying Insigna or something. I live for movies and home theater. I am in the process of deciding on a new TV . I plan on moving the SXRD to the second smaller system along with the Oppo 83 and buying a 103

Nice purchase

I agree most Blu-ray players are transports, but BDP-105 can be used both as a Processor and DAC with better results than most High Processors and DACs.

Purchase:

BDP-105 -$1,200

Sold:

McIntosh MX-132 +$1,250

Bel Canto DAC3 +$1,325

$+250 Did not need to purchase Transport level Blu-ray and cables for wife's room, she has to struggle with Oppo BDP-95.

= +$2,825 more cash plus better performance using fewer cables and less cabinet space!

Not possible with $200 Transport.

Nice! That's a great deal then!

That's like saying I'm going to buy a HTIB set of speakers instead of Klipsch because speakers are just for sound. The 103 doesn't have the upscale DACs, but the picture is still better than what it was with my PS3.

[:^)] No, it's not even close to a good comparison! Sorry!

If you don't use the audio DACs or video upscaling, and just pull the bits off the BR disk and give them to the receiver or display through HDMI at the native 1080p resolution, you are saying that the Oppo does this better than other players?

Whereas my Klipsch speakers do, in fact, sound better than an HTIB. LOL!

That may be true but you can say the same thing about watts (and lots of other things). The oppo does have the better picture on my screen. If i had your big screen psg i would grab an oppo in a heart beat. I mean $500 is nothing in your room.

My screen is smaller than yours! [;)]

What makes the picture better on the Oppo? What have you compared it against? Using HDMI? Seems strange to me. The sound bitstream is the same, why would the video bits differ?

Anyway, seem like the wrong thread to be having this discussion. I am happy for the OP.

I'm very happy with my decision. Big Smile

Isn't this the quest we ALL are on? Being happy with OUR decisions is what we all strive to do.

My girlfriend's son has one of those $100 DVD players I hooked up so he doesn't have to hassle playing with my setup. He is happy with his Samsung. It is clunky, loud and slow. Doesn't play scratched discs.

My Sony DVD player will play those scratched discs, is quicker to load and looks alot better on the TV than the Samsung.

Once I get my 105, it should best both of them in speed, picture quality and sound quality.

I'm not going to razz anyone with a $100 player. Just like I'm not going to razz anyone with a $5,000 player. The bottom line is being happy with your decision.