OPPO BDP-105 Ordered

TasDom

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a Oppo to replace my old sony BD player

I'm (painfully) selling some gear to afford an Oppo to replace my Sony Bluray player. Haven't decided on a 103 or 105.

When I think about how long I've had some of this gear sitting on a shelf unused.....kind of a shame to just let it sit there. Sure some pieces I'll never sell, but there are many in the gray area that need to move on. I'll use an Oppo Bluray a lot more!

Well, all I can say is Tasdom made me do it. Just got home, unpacked, didn't lose my @$$ in Vegas...so I ordered a 105. It is his fault. It really is.

Hey now, don't blame me! But once you get it set up and your jaw drops, then and only then can you say.....................Thanks Tasdom!

Congratz...very happy for you!

fwiw..lots of good info to read while you wait LINK

105 owners need to get the new Home Theater magazine on the stands now.

Well, all I can say is Tasdom made me do it. Just got home, unpacked, didn't lose my @$$ in Vegas...so I ordered a 105. It is his fault. It really is.

Budman, is there an article on the 105 in the magazine?

Yes Sir, said it will be the last BP you will ever buy

105 owners need to get the new Home Theater magazine on the stands now.

Budman, is there an article on the 105 in the magazine?

Yes Sir, said it will be the last BP you will ever buy

That's good to know. Don't really like the thought of laying down this kind of cash every 5 years. Thnx for the tip. Will have to buy the mag!

I would say that if you aren't doing a lot of 2-5 channel 'critical listening', the 103 will be sufficient for you.

Thanks Ivan. Will assess my listening habits......thing is I'll be wondering about the 105 if I purchase the 103. Angry

That's why I jumped on the 105. I don't want to have the "what if" situation. If I got the 103, I would ALWAYS be asking myself "would the 105 look/sound better in this situation." I got the 105 so I wouldn't be hating the 103.

I'm going to say that 99 out of 100 people aren't going to be able to tell the difference in sound, especially with movies. I'm not sure if there are different video components between the 2, so I can't really comment there.

According to the Features/Spec Sheet, the main difference between the 103 and the 105 is in the Audio section. The 105 has the better DAC, power supply and XLR outputs. The 105 also features a headphone amp. The 105 consumes 20W more than the 103 and the 105 weighs 7lbs more than the 103.

Other than that, the video section is the same for both. The 105 has more inputs and outputs than the 103. If people can tell the difference between the 2 is up to the individual viewer/listener. YMMV.

I'm going to say that 99 out of 100 people aren't going to be able to tell the difference in sound, especially with movies. I'm not sure if there are different video components between the 2, so I can't really comment there.

According to the Features/Spec Sheet, the main difference between the 103 and the 105 is in the Audio section. The 105 has the better DAC, power supply and XLR outputs. The 105 also features a headphone amp. The 105 consumes 20W more than the 103 and the 105 weighs 7lbs more than the 103.

Other than that, the video section is the same for both. The 105 has more inputs and outputs than the 103. If people can tell the difference between the 2 is up to the individual viewer/listener. YMMV.

Hmmm. [^o)] If a person is using the HDMI hookup for sound isn't it the AVR doing the decoding?

Hmmm. Hmm If a person is using the HDMI hookup for sound isn't it the AVR doing the decoding?

Digital outputs of the 105 bypass the DACs and let the AVR/external DACs do the decoding. Analog is the only output the goes through the 105's DACs. Plus, the 105's DACs are only in stereo.

Hmmm. Hmm If a person is using the HDMI hookup for sound isn't it the AVR doing the decoding?

Digital outputs of the 105 bypass the DACs and let the AVR/external DACs do the decoding. Analog is the only output the goes through the 105's DACs. Plus, the 105's DACs are only in stereo.

Then that means the only way to get the benefit of the DACs in the BDP-105 is to use the analog connection and if using any other audio connection there is no difference between it and the lower end model.

Then that means the only way to get the benefit of the DACs in the BDP-105 is to use the analog connection and if using any other audio connection there is no difference between it and the lower end model. Idea

Yep. That is exactly it. There are a few other differences between the 2 of them. But, the main one is the DACs analog outputs. They both use the same video processing.