Surround back opinions.

MichaelandKlipsch

Good Morning Klipsch people. If you can chime in. I have received my 3 KL-650s and 2 KS-525s yesterday and the day before. This weekend starts the mounting process for them. Before I order my surround back KS-525s today I wanted to get a little feedback. Youthman I see you use directional speakers for your surround back. Now before I sold my reference series speakers I used RS 52iis as my surround backs and RS-62s as my side surrounds. After moving up my theater seats a bit I really was able to get some great sound behind me with the Wide dispersion surrounds. If you dont mind could you take a quick look at some of the photos I posted in another thread and anyone else for that matter as to where or not I might be better off with putting in some Klipsch THX KS 7800 in walls as my surround backs? Im definitely set on using the KS-525s as my side surround i.e. they are sitting in the box up there already heh. Before I purchase the surround backs today I just wanted a little input. Thanks guys.

What say you Ks-525s or KS 7800 surround Backs?

• Moderators

Youthman I see you use directional speakers for your surround back.

Actually, that's an old pic. For surrounds, I started out with only RB-35's on the back wall. They ended up being mounted WAY too high due to the door frame being in the way and could not mount them lower. I realized they weren't doing much good up there with 10' ceilings. Most of the sound was never heard from them since they were firing basically at my projection screen. I then purchased a new pair of RS-35 and installed them as side surrounds. MUCH better! I sold the RB-35's and stayed with a 5.1 setup. Within about 2 weeks of purchasing the RS-35's, I bought a pair of RS-52's and then about a year later, upgraded them to the RS-62's.

I really need to try and take new pics of the room this weekend. Sorry for any confusion.

To be honest, I've never been much of a fan of inwalls but if I were to move to a 7.1, I would totally go with inwalls for my room since my back wall is right up against the back wall (as I believe yours is). From what I've read, it's always better to have a properly setup 5.1 than an inproper 7.1. Also, most movies are not coded in 7.1 so your pre/pro or avr will matrix the sound and send it to the surround back. Definitely do not take just my thoughts regarding this. I would love to hear input from the others as well.

Mike, I think you may have already moved your seats out from the
wall, if not I would definitely recommend this. I'm not a fan of inwalls and would recommend the KS-525's.

I would mount them about 2 ft above ear level, here are my choices of position in your photo of your room postion 1 would probably be first choice as postion 2 may be a little high, best would be about 2 feet above ear level to center of the speaker.

Posted Image

Here is my own layout, I am very happy with this. I would prefer my surrounds mounted a little lower but in my case I needed to stay above doorways. The 4 surrounds are mounted at the same height.

Posted Image

Hmm very interesting. My center channel though is actually mounted above the elite 70 rtv now. I have all 3 KL-650s mounted on the angled piece of ceiling just above the tv. I actually lowered the tV to eye level to remove the strain of looking up and all 3 KL-650s are mounted above. I can put the 2 KS-525s surround backs in the same spot as my RS-52iis or I can move them up you let me know what you think is best. Right now they are about 1.5 feet above my ears. I certainly moved the seats up about 12 inches off the back wall about 1 month ago this made a world of difference. Thanks for the input I look forward to reading more. Im leaning towards KS-525

Oops needed to update my system image, it had old system specs, fixed now.

I am thinking maybe the inwalls might be best for you since you are so close to the back wall. I think the KL-7800 in position 1 maybe slightly higher might be good to try to give a little more distance from the speakers to ears and slightly even out the side/rear height.

My seating is further from the wall, ears being about 41 inches away from the back wall.

I had never thought of it. I kind of figured they were supposed to be directly behind the seating position for surround backs. I was going to get the new Anthm Pre-amp once Dolby digital Atmos is integrated into home theater receivers/blurays/pre-amps etc. They utilize ceiling speakers for sounds that appear to becoming from above. Shoot me some links/picks if you think this would be a neat option. I have access to install in my ceiling since my entire theater room is the only room on the fourth floor and is completely surrounded above and on all sides by attic space with soundproof insulation installed. I go back there a lot especially with the recent installs. (Ill be in there running my audioquest cables for my 3 KL-650s tomorrow) lol. If you do have links to in ceiling speakers as surround backs I would be interested in taking a look.

Does anyone else suggest I use in ceiling speakers as my surround backs instead of KS-525s as surround backs on the rear wall? thanks all.

• Moderators

I forgot you moved your seats forward. The wide dispersion speakers might work fine since you have some distance behind you now. My seats are pretty much plum up against the wall so I can't really do bookshelf or wide dispersion type speakers if I ever wanted to move to 7.1.

I vote for in-wall before in-ceiling.

While I do like dispersion speakers for closer rear surrounds so as to not sound so localized, to me the KL-7800 just looks like a nicer horn/tweeter setup than the KS-7800 so I think that would be my preference of the two without having heard the two.

As for ceiling mounts I don't think the imaging is as good, especially if they will be almost directly above you as in your setup.

• Moderators

In the THX setup, the rears are close together behind you, so I would go with in walls in your situation. Maybe even go 6.1. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Be sure to scroll down on that page. The top diagram is not for the new DolbyTrueHD and DTS-Master formats.

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x30

Well according to the THX website they also recommend that you use direct firing/direction speakers as surround back? Should I use a pair of KL-525s? I think since im sitting closer to them I should use the KS-525s still since they have wide dispersion. Since Im only about 2 feet from the back wall directional speakers I assume are going to put the sound overtop of me instead of it coming towards me. sooo still sticking with 2 KS-525s about 4.5-5feet apart sounds right?