Klipschorn Crossover Upgrade?

The Yeti

I want to replace the capacitors in my 20 year old Klipschorns. I know nothing about working on electronics, but have an engineer buddy that can solder really well. :)

Should I just order Bob Crites' upgrade kit, or can I do it substantially cheaper (or better) from other sources?

Take a look at the Crites A/4500 as well. You have to get his tweeters as well but it is a nice improvement to the upper mid range. The sound seems much more relaxed. I have wound up doing that to both my K-horns and La Scalas.

I did this eventually.

First I went the DIY route; see mid page http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/56396.aspx?PageIndex=4 for a parts list (with prices in 2005).

Very easy to do, and only 6 caps to buy for two crossovers.

• 4 weeks later...

Since you have someone who can solder for you, you can do it cheaper. You can get replacement caps for both crossovers for around $20 (If you have a Type AA). Thing is, why does it have to be all about "cheaper" -- doesn't what you end up hearing count for something? I'm not being a jerk, I'm being serious. The emphasis or trend around here often seems to be to spend the least you can spend to get acceptable results. Consider that the crossover sits between the amp and the drivers -- everything goes through the crossover. People spend loads of money on downstream components, but dig their heals in when it comes to the filter. You're probably only going to do your crossovers one time, why not make them as good as they can be? Personally, I would go with Bob's new completely rebuilt crossovers or the complete kit, which use the newer bifilar wound autoformers.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically two insulated, separate windings right next two each other. In coils, currents are travelling in opposite directions. Inductance is reduced as well as power loss. I always assumed it worked the same with transformers and autotransformers.

Since you have someone who can solder for you, you can do it cheaper. You can get replacement caps for both crossovers for around $20 (If you have a Type AA). Thing is, why does it have to be all about "cheaper" -- doesn't what you end up hearing count for something? I'm not being a jerk, I'm being serious. The emphasis or trend around here often seems to be to spend the least you can spend to get acceptable results. Consider that the crossover sits between the amp and the drivers -- everything goes through the crossover. People spend loads of money on downstream components, but dig their heals in when it comes to the filter.

+1[Y]

this why I stay off the DIY forums & never comment about the above issues here when some say I got such & such for $10.oo instead ;-0

Good products produce superior results Is what I rather have ,than cheap price gets me by . . . .

I guess what I'm saying is the cheapskate bunch is Way more vocal & easy to flame anyone who uses better parts .

Granted there are those items that are questionable quality at a very high price (Which is what the cheapster's all ways refer to ) .

But really after spending wads of cash on high quality amps, receivers,turn tables , then throw the most inexpensive crossover parts into the down

stream signal is just wonky to me .

I'm no expert at crossovers but there are experts like yourseft & ALK ,others . . . .

in these people I trust their judgement in picking parts .

Ok my rant is over :)