DIY Water Softener / Filter ??

USNRET

We are in the market for a whole house water softener. Water hardness here 16 grains plus! Had Rainsoft salesman here with his vacuun cleaner type pitch = $4400 with 5 YEARS OF SOAP... WHOOPIE. Down to earth Kinetico dealer offered the 2100s for $4000. System must be outside so mechanical meter is imperative. I would like to buy system as DIY. What do you recommend / where to buy?

I've got an RO water filter from HERE and was really impressed with the quality of their system having had a different brand before and being an ex-plumber. They have whole house filters and water softening systems as well. They have excellent reviews in several different sites. They'll handle up to 25 grains.

We are in the market for a whole house water softener. Water hardness here 16 grains plus! Had Rainsoft salesman here with his vacuun cleaner type pitch = $4400 with 5 YEARS OF SOAP... WHOOPIE. Down to earth Kinetico dealer offered the 2100s for $4000. System must be outside so mechanical meter is imperative. I would like to buy system as DIY. What do you recommend / where to buy?

It is not the soap, it is your fixtures that you should be worried about. Have you priced faucets lately?

I had an idiot come and waste my time too. He claimed that he had systems that were much less expensive than normal prices. He kept doing his parlor tricks to show me how hard the water is and I kept saying "I know that I need a new softener, please stop and show me the sytsem" He would not stop the tricks. Then he offered a $10,000 system or a more "modest" $4000 system. After wasting two hours of my time I ran him out of my house and he was upset that I had wasted his morning.

Go online. I bought a whole system including a 5 stage RO for drinking water for $701 shipped in 2010. This is for 1-1/4" pipes. If you only need 3/4" pipes it should be much less. Something like discountwatersofteners.com There are a few suppliers and their prices are similar.

Do you know how to solder? Install is very easy, just basic plubming (well except that sweating 1.25" pipes takes some time).

Thanks guys,

I sent an email to the company you linked Carl. I do know how to solder but that won't be used in this situation. I am forced to either trench over a hundred feet and go under a sidewalk to get the unit in the garage or put it outside in the corrosive salt water air here. With the outside install the option I choose, I will be plumbing with PVC and I would think a mechanical valving solution rather than electronic would be the better choice.

Other than the initial install I am wondering what issue I might have with 'programmming' the valve.

Carl, see you when you get here and I might have to schedule the install to mysteriously coincide............

Mike

• 8 years later...
17 hours ago, hanna1992 said:

Well first thing is you have to check which you want to buy and according to your use and budget buy it. Also, if you buy it from amazon then you will get additional 10% off on many water softeners. I bought pelican with around 8% cashback and free home delivery.

Why exactly are you replying to a thread from 8 years ago?

• Like 1