Need Help with 83 Cornwall Mid Range Driver

tommy499

I purchased a pair of 83 Cornwalls. I replace the B-3 crossovers and tweeter diaphrams with new from from Bob Crites.

I believe that I have a bad driver in one of my mid range horns

. I and getting some crackling from the left side at upper volumes

Bob seems to be out of the driver upgrades for the mid horns. I am anxious to hear these at there best.

Any Ideas? Could I switch both mid drivers to Alnico drivers, or would I have crossover issues?

Does Klipsch sell new parts for these mid range horns?

post-15448-13819829757682_thumb.jpg

The driver you have there is a Hepner K52H/ if you wanted to use the K55 you would need to adjust your crossover as the impedance of the mid is different. The K55 fill fit perfectly you just have to decide if you want to change your crossover. Some like the alnico magnet aome prefer the mud magnets. Have you considered buying a set of the new titanium mid diaphragms? They will fit your existing motors perfectly. This also gives you the option to later try the K61 style motor which has the small cavity at thetop of the pole piece, the other two are flat poles. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Tom, I doubt that K55's will mount to your K600/K601 horns. It looks like you have a K-57-K driver which should be a bolt-on where the K-55 is a screw-on.

However, I'm using Atlas PD-5VH (the K55 equivalent) drivers with Bob's B3 networks crossed at 600 Hz with absolutely no problems at all both while cranked and played very low.

Just being devils advocate here.

Did you swap the speakers and the problem followed? Are you sure it's the mid? Did you ohm it out?

Mine had same problem. Turned out to be loose wire connection on the mid to the xover. I now use thread locker.

Sometimes crackling at higher volumes can be a problem with the amp/receiver etc. As the gain increases, a bad transistor(s) will show it's weakness such as crackling.

Ron

I had the midrange in my Chorus II go out. Bob was out, and Klipsch did not have the titanium replacements (from the Cornwall IIIs I think). As I had a quartet that was not in use at the time, I stole that driver. I did not ask if klipsch had the replacement available for my the Chorus II. Klipsch may have the replacement available for you.

Well a K55 is a screw on so that's no problem for a K600 which is a screw on horn but the K601 is a bolt onso you are forced to use a screw on driver they are all the same the differentnumbersis supposed to designate the speaker the component was used in I figure it was just to mess with peoples heads. You can use for example a K61 along with an adapter snout so it will screw onto a K600 no problem. which kinf omagnet you like is your choice. Range is another issue the mud magnets dont go as low but do go higher than the Alnico units so it would be in your best interest to use what the network was designed for or simply what the speaker came stock with. I think I got that right but if there are any sharpies out there and I made a mistake please correct me. Best regards Moray James.