Academy or KLF-C7

endover

I'm looking to replace my RC-3II for my center channel and upgrade to something that matches my Chorus II's in the front. Academy's and the C7 seem to be the best match but I'm really trying to understand the difference. I didn't realize the C7 was such a large speaker at 27" wide (I expected that out off the Academy). The C7's are normally cheaper so that's where I want to go but...should I spend the extra $$ to get an Academy? Will I notice the difference?

I have both. Right now I have the academy between two Fortes but I honestly liked the C7 better when I A/B'd them. I thought that the C7 had better clarity and sounded a bit more like the Fortes to my ear. The academy seemed slightly muffled. The academy is older and I don't believe the caps were ever refreshed so that may be a factor - I don't know. The reason that I am using the Academy right now is to give it a chance and also because it is wide enough to put my TV on it.

I know, the Academy is supposed to be the right choice, but if you see a local C7 for a good price, you might consider it.

I agree that the C7 is a great-sounding speaker... It is noticeably louder and clearer than the Academy, to my ears.

BUT... with material on film soundtracks that pans across the front soundstage, or that is located between the center and mains (and therefore requires sound from both to contribute to audibly matching the location of voices or foley), there is a mis- match between the tonal quality of the C7 and older iterations of Kilpsch speakers that renders - to my ears and many others - an unnatural and odd-sounding quality that forced me to find the Academy to better blend with my Fortes.

The only better option would have been to either use another Forte (not feasible with my HT living room set-up) or to try and build a center channel with Forte components (not within my technical capability).

I could well imagine owning a complete Legend-series surround system - the clarity of the C7 is actually better than the Academy - but I am pretty well set on keepin my Fortes, especially after the crossover, binding post, and Ti diaphragm updates performed in the last few years.

I'm a little confused, OP is asking about use with Chorus II mains and many comments are with Forte mains, isn't the difference in mains exactly the difference between the Academy and C7, the horn type?

I have forte's with a KLF C7, and I have been thinking about an Academy, with the idea that its the matching horn type. Have I got this wrong?

Alternately I have considered a pair of Chorus II or Quartets as a good match to the KLF C7.

mike has the right idea the very best match is another Chorus ll. You have this the wrong eay around you dont wnat to match the centre to the front l&r you want to matcch the front l&r to the centre. The centre channel IS the single most important loudspeaker in a surround system. The centre channel generates nore sound output than all the other loudspeakers in the system combined they are all simply effects speakers the centre channel is where it is all at. Buy anothe pair of Chorus ll, use one for the front centre and the other for the rear centre or sell it to someone else who wants to do it right. Just my nickle's worth. I hope that this is of some interest. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you have the ability to go phantom centre try that before you do anything.

I have concluded that the Academy I sold worked well with my Chorus IIs. It worked better in between the Quartets.

Now I have a Forte II in between the Chorus IIs. I eventually would like a Chorus II but the cheap deal came for the Forte II (Forte II and Quartet for $200). Now I am rotating speakers around, and I believe the main system will be:

RL: Chorus II

C: Forte II

3 Surrounds of Quartets.

All in the pretty medium oiled oak color. I will put up pictures when the entertainment stand is complete.

• Moderators

I have never auditioned the KLF-C7 but some swear by it. I think Colter uses it between two La Scalas because it is more efficient and keeps up better. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

The KV4 is probably more rare, but I know some like it. Just another idea.

He does, here's proof, I don't remember which he likes better, just by looks it should be easy, but you can't hear looks ?

post-11804-1381982997139_thumb.jpg

I've owned an Academy...an Academy with popbumpers crossover and a KLF-C7 as well as a KLF-C7 and a crites Titanium tweeter mod...with Heresys, Quartets and KG 5.5s...

The Academy is great but the KLF-C7 is louder (more efficient)...the popbumpered crossover takes the Academy up a few notches but I never felt like I missed the Academy when it was replaced with a KLF-C7...I improved my KLF-C7 with the crites titanium tweeter mod and it works pretty well between KG 5.5s (but might be the better match because of the TracTrix)...

I replaced the Academy when I went to Heresys for my HT Mains and added a jorjen and DeanG built Heresy Center (wish I could have gotten the pair)...

Bill

Your HT must be an awsome experience with such a fantastic line up of loudspeakers.Do you run a rear centre? Have you height adjusted the cabinets? Have you tried them with the mid horns at ear level? Best regards Moray James.

I know that the mid-horns should be ear level. As I have "recently" moved, and am in the process of getting married, the room is not yet "furnished". The rear center will be a quartet. I need to replace the mid-range diaphragm. The cabinets will be height adjusted in the future when final furniture is selected to get the right height. The quartets that will be moved there are in a two-channel system currently. I will wait to move them until the room is complete I think. So just use KG2s as the surrounds until then.

• Moderators

in the process of getting married

Just when everything is going smooth things like this happens.[:'(]

Just kidding Congratulations,[Y] did you really think you could just slip that in there and no one would notice ? [8-)]