Cornwall Question

ChipByrd

corns

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ele/3573751978.html

a first for me is cornwalls on stands. i have never heard of B-stock corns but anything is possible. if he raised up the other tweeter what did he do to fill in the gap.

i would ask what the label said on the back and also what are the seial numbers stamped in the wood. my guess they are from 1976 he says he removed the grills and grill frames they could have been decorators from the factory. regular cornwalls are recessed to accept the grills so i guess he could have cut the fronts off to make them decorators. lots of people add screen molding or 1/2" round molding to the fronts of decorators and Lascalas to add grills

75's would have an N stamped in the wood

from the picture look at how much stock is below the 2 ports compared to the other one. one looks like and 1" and the other 2"

if i remember correctly decorators were taller than regular corns.

i would guess they are 2 different years

Those stands are not very secure or stable i would not use them. A four post stand with a base plate 3/4" larger overal dimensions of the cabinet will be very stable, you wnat the stand just high enough to place the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level. A chorus ll uses a better woofer than the Cornwall does and imo a better mid horn not to mention a K79 instead of the K77. Best regards Moray James.

I have decorators and built 2-post stands for them. But my posts were of 4 x 4 wood. I agree. Those stands look precarious. I would not use them.

As for the speakers, they are decorators, but the bottom ports are different as noted. I think black is ugly for such a nice speaker. I'd hold out and find ones with wood stain finish.

• Moderators

I wonder if they are real Klipsch cabinets? B stock does not mean the ports are different and a tweeter is not in the right place.

One question.......did the older Cornwalls have the grill mounted on the front without the overlap of the side like the new models? Or is that just on the decorator models ?

I dunno...I'd like to see the build tag for these.

It's very odd for the HF driver(s) to be so far off. I mean, I would be pretty sure a template was used for the cutouts.

OTOH: The cutout for the woofers on my 84' CWO's are somehwere from an 1/8" to 1/4" cut too far to one side. I measured the other speaker and it's pretty much the same in the other direction. I noticed this when I was routing out the new cutouts for the Cornscala conversion.

• Moderators

i said in an earlier post anythings possible. take a look at Phill's 78 consec serial number corns for sale. one has 2 ports the other has 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121068836584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very true anythings possible, if they don't have any kind of tag or markings that would be good reason to be a little suspicious.

76 decorators. from the bottom of the port to the bottom of the speaker looks like about an inch

IMO-the black pair above: the one on the right is a true decorator. the tweeter cutout is lower on decorators. the one on the left is a standard cornwall made into a decorator.

Big Plus there will always be another deal. Google Alerts will keep you posted. Tommy don'tsand too much you dont want to erase decades of birch patina. See the glorious color oof the CW in the picture above? That beautiful natural color is only a few thousandths of an inch thick. If you have to sand down then you can reclaim some of that lustur and color with some orange shelac thinned down. Here is some very good wood workers advice. If you don't like the color of the wood you have don't stain it just get a wood you do like the color of. In most all cases stained wood looks like stained wood. The prime North American cluster stain job is walnut wiping stain on top of red oak. This sucks big time. Only very skilled and gifted workers can stain sucessfully and make it work and even then you can usually tell. I know that raw birch is white so wipe it withtung oil or linseed oil (boiled) once a week till you are happy with the color remember it will only get darker with age. After you stop oilinwait threee months and then coat with urathane. Best regards Moray James.