Youthman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Well if you can work on it, 24 hours from now you will be up to your neck in wires and cables, the not so fun part.

Yeah, I will need to unhook the amp, PS3 and UMC-1 and pull it out in front of the false wall to be able to compare how the two sound before I make a decision on which to keep.

I received a package tonight from UPS at 9:05pm. Sure hope the HK gets here a little earlier than that.

Well it's simple really, those voices are
relentless, they wear you down, it's just a matter of time.

I'm so weak...I'm so weak......[:'(]

you will be up to your neck in wires and cables, the not so fun part.

C'mon now dtel, you know that's half the fun! Stick out tongue

When I bought the UMC-1, I decided I was finally going to do it right and do some serious cable management. I spent probably an hour routing wires, zip tying them and making sure signal did not cross power cables. Definitely encourage others to take the time to do it. It's well worth the time and effort.

• Moderators

I don't like that part at all, but would be thrilled to do it anytime, if I had a new HK being delivered. [:D]

I never did get the wires straightened out like Youthman did, it's a bird nest back there, you can't see a single wire so I was just being lazy.

Hope you enjoy the new 3600, I think it will be the winner over the UMC-1 and look forward to your review.

It really can be worth the effort spending time routing cables not just to keep the rats nest clean but to keep the sound quality clean as well, that rats nest can add not only really bad hum and noise like in a bad ground loop but often less noticable noise which you don't really realize was there until it's gone.

I always keep power cables with power cables, interconnects with interconnects, speaker cables with speaker cables and I try to keep these three types of cables as separated as possible. Normally I will use one side of a rack for power cables, the other side of the rack for running interconnects and run speaker cables in the middle. It also helps to have all cables the correct length without a bunch of excess leftover cable.

This type of effort can help keep the noise floor (unwanted noise) down to a minimum and can really help to improve the sound of a system. It can make the difference of being able to hear speaker static from a couple feet away from your speaker or having to place you ear directly in the horn of your speaker to hear that static.

Well if you can work on it, 24 hours from now you will be up to your neck in wires and cables, the not so fun part.

Yeah, I will need to unhook the amp, PS3 and UMC-1 and pull it out in front of the false wall to be able to compare how the two sound before I make a decision on which to keep.

I received a package tonight from UPS at 9:05pm. Sure hope the HK gets here a little earlier than that.

Well it's simple really, those voices are

relentless, they wear you down, it's just a matter of time.

I'm so weak...I'm so weak......[:'(]

you will be up to your neck in wires and cables, the not so fun part.

When I bought the UMC-1, I decided I was finally going to do it right and do some serious cable management. I spent probably an hour routing wires, zip tying them and making sure signal did not cross power cables. Definitely encourage others to take the time to do it. It's well worth the time and effort.

when I swapped out my last component , I tried making everything pretty, but a day later, I turned everything on and got the dreaded hum,,,,moved stuff around and it disappeared. Day later it was back....to make a long story short, when our dishwasher ran it introduced the hum, when the dishwasher was off everything was dead silent..I figured out the tv power cord was running over a couple rca's.....everything's a mess behind the equipment again, but its a silent mess..

have fun tonight

Mark

• Moderators

Actually, Youthman was at visitation tonight when my wife texted me, "Wow, your stereo came". Oops.....did I forget to tell you I ordered it? LOL She was cool when I told her it would be a wash either way.

I've moved it into the HT but that's as far as I've gotten. Gotta tuck young ones into bed, then I can begin unhooking the other units and moving them out into the open. Will post some pics tonight. [:D]

First observation before unpacking....it doesn't feel too heavy. I guess that's not a bid deal since I won't be using the internal amps anyways. I'll probably see how it sounds with and without the Parasound just to see what it is capable of. Might not get too much "testing" done today. Stay tuned.

• Moderators

Unpackaged the HK AVR 3600 and it's beautiful. [:D] Unit is in pristine condition and I absolutely love the brushed aluminum face. The remote has several large scratches. Although I wish it was as in fine of condition as the AVR, it's not a big deal to me. The iPod dock will be nice to have. Below are a few quick pics and I'm back off to the HT.

hk-avr-3600-1.jpg

hk-avr-3600-2.jpg

hk-avr-3600-3.jpg

hk-avr-3600-4.jpg

hk-avr-3600-5.jpg

hk-avr-3600-6.jpg

hk-avr-3600-7.jpg

• Moderators

I pulled the UMC-1 out to the floor next to the HK 3600 to allow for easy comparison. Since the 3600 does not have a 12v trigger, I left the parasound amp plugged into the UMC-1. Simply turning on the UMC-1 turned on the parasound amp. [;)]

I started to run the auto calibration but quickly realized I better wait until my wife is either awake or not at home. [:D] I manually set the xovers, distance, levels with my SPL meter and get it up and running in a matter of a few minutes. The GUI is very easy to navigate, straight forward and the 3600 seemed to work great. HDMI audio locked on quickly.

Maybe I missed it but I did not see in the menu an EQ. Does anyone know if the HK's have the ability to EQ when I run the auto calibration based on room acoustics or does it just set xovers, distance and levels?

Tomorrow, I will run the auto calibration and run a few demoes to see how it sounds for movies, 2ch and 5ch stereo.