1985 Heresy components

Guest Teresa Wright

Guest Teresa Wright

Well, I just opened up the backs of my "new" speakers. The components are-K77 tweeters, K53-k midrage, K22 woofer, and E2 crossover. Are these the correct components?? Looks like a combo of heresy 1 and heresy II?? Is this good or bad.

Thanks for the info gurus!!

everything you listed sounds correct. tweeters should be the square magnet instead of round. somebody should chime in with 1st hand knowledge. K-22 woofers is correct. crossovers sound correct. midrange was K-55V up to around 83-84 when they changed over to what you have

i think Heresy 11's came with K-24 woofers

Guest Teresa Wright

Thanks guys. I was just a bit confused, cuz I checked the Klipsch site, and showed the midrange as k55 up to '85 on Heresy I, and K53 on '85 and up on Heresy II? But, the woofer and tweeter are correct for the I, and don't match for the II?? I think I have that right. Well, I don't have room in my small living room, so they are unfortunately just sitting in the spare room with the Kg 1.5's. But, I did check them out and they sound pretty good. Yes, the caps look a little old, I took pictures, will download and see if they turned out. I want to figure out how to use them everyday, maybe some stands so they don't close off the walkway to the hallway? Oh, well, I'll keep thinking.

Around here they are called Heresy 1.5. However I only find a few references to that nomeclature with a quick search.

The K-55 has output down to and below 400 Hz and that is why it is used on speakers where the mid horn functions down to 400 or 500 Hz.

The Heresy mid horn is only used down to 700 Hz and thus the K-55 was more than was needed. At the time it may have been in short supply and relatively expensive. But your Heresy has a driver which works just fine.

WMcD

The 85 would be almost at the transition point of Heresy to Heresy 2 so the similarity in parts. The K53 you have is a Klipsch version of a Hepner K52 these have motors have a two part backplate/pole piece so there is grain orientation in the parts. I believe they went to H2 toward the end of 85 Nov. or Dec.. I had a pair almost identical to yours though I had the new mid motor with a one piece cast back plate/pole piece. The K77 are long since replaceed with CT125 which drop right in and sound wonderful. I now have a set of very modified H3 which I think are the best of the lot as far as stock Heresy go. Congratulations. Best regards Moray James.

PS: the last version of the Heresy used the K77m which is the mud magnet or ceramic magnet version. Yours look totally stock.The first H2 used the K79 tweeter (better) and a different network. One of the members will tell you which I can't recall.

post-46582-13819830084_thumb.jpg

Is this good or bad.

The only down side would be if you are planning on using them with other Heresys. They don't sound exactly like earlier Heresys using the K55V. And they don't sound exactly like Heresy 2s. I had earlier Heresys for the front speakers in my HT system, and ones like yours for the back at one time. The difference was enough to be noticeable to me. I wound up replacing the rears with ones that matched the fronts. OTOH others have reported that they cannot hear a difference. So, it depends on you.