Which sub should i get?

Alain C

Hi,

I have 6 or 700 bucks to spend on a sub. I have no where in town that carries anything but the 2 to $300 "best buy" subs. So What Do any of you guys think. Heres my list of equipment;

2 Klf 20

1 klf c7

Marantz SR6005 recever Bi-amped (Highs)

2 Crown dc300A Running mono (lows)

2 s20 surrounds

50" samsung Plazma

samsung blueray

I get good lows, but i think I could do better. don't think the klf 20s go that low. What they do, they do real good. I could leave the setup as and ad a sub. or x the crowns and add a sub. Before i added the crowns It sounded good but with them.... Man what a difrence. lots more headroom.Then again how cool is it to say "Its Bi-Amped".

Im looking at the sw112 or the 115

Thanx For any Help

Alain Coirier

Hi again,

The room is 14x19x8 but the home theater takes up 14x14 with the dinning room and the computer at the outher end. viewing distance is about 9 feet and add a foot once I hang the plazma on the wall (the next project after the sub) I Will check out your sggestions and thanx again,

Alain

Check this RSW-10d out near you.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ele/3604938367.html

See if the guy will take $500.00.

I ran a single RSW-10d with my RF-63 system for over 3 years and musically, it was tough to beat. I did though think my system was lacking a bit in the sub 20Hz range for HT. I added the Revel B15 and it not only took care of the low low stuff, it blended musically with my RSW-10d. In other words, if you don't need loud subterranean bass, the 24Hz RSW-10d is hard to beat for accurate fast and punchy bass.

Bill

I can vouch for the RSW-10, that's one great sub. Like Bill said its not a bottom dweller in the lower hz land but it is a very musical, punchy sub. Now if you are looking for something that digs deep, I can also vouch for HSU. I have the Mk3 with the turbo, and its one mean sub! It'll get you down to those lower frequencies with ease, and it is a pretty musical sub as well. I'm sure the Mk4 is even better, and will blend with your 20's seemlessly.

Hi again,

First of all I would like to say thanx to everyone for your answers. Youthman, I have e mailed crigslist per willland suggestion and i'mwaiting for a call.

By the way, Youthman I looked at your photo gallery and Wow..... If It sounds a good as it looks, and i'm shure it does, I can only hope to get there someday.

K5ss I think the HSU VTF-3 MK4 looks It might be the one. I like the way you can tune it by pluging the 2 port. It's more then I can spend but I might do it anyway. I think I will call Hsu company and ask questions. From there forum the seem willing to give good customer care.

2 votes for the RSW 10's. Still waiting for an email or call.

Thanx again,

Alain

• Moderators

I have e mailed crigslist per willland suggestion and i'mwaiting for a call.

Good luck. I love my RSW-15. Great sub.

By the way, Youthman I looked at your photo gallery and Wow..... If It sounds a good as it looks, and i'm shure it does, I can only hope to get there someday.

I appreciate the kind words Alain. It was done over a 2 year period, with help from friends building the riser, installing the lights, bartering for the custom false wall, and some great craigslist deals. The only items I paid retail for were the screen and projector. Honestly, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would one day have a dedicated HT....best part is it was my wife's idea. I later found out it was because she didn't want speakers in the living room. Works for me. [:D]

Hi again,

I have been checking out the Svs pb12nsd Its in my price range. Its cheaper (pricewise) $769 free shipping. The Hsu vtf-3 mk4 $699 $99 shipping. So there is a $30 difference. "thats the same price" I'm going to call svs they stay open till 9:00 and there in Ohio. I just want to pick there brain. I Have only bought a sub for live sound.

thanx to all for your input.

Alain

PB12-NSD
PB12-NSD

Go with the SVS . I love my 10 inch isd'. I like how they stand behind their stuff. Any issues no questions asked it will be taken care of. Don't get me wrong HSU is top quality also... But I am very impressed with SVS ... I had to replace the volume control on my RSW 10 about a year ago... my PB10ISD has been rock solid since purchased.

I would imagine that Rythmik, SVS and HSU are all very customer friendly. I loved my SVS but the customer service I received from Brian (owner of Rythmik) was second to none. I have also heard great things about Dr. HSU. I think anyone of the three mentioned companies would go out of their way to make the OP happy.

Hi again,

After my Electronics Engineer friend in buffalow N.Y. looked at both the hsu and the svs read all the specs and gave me his 2 cents worth. and after I called both companys Man it was a tough choice I made my pick. I'm going with the Svs pb12-nsd I pulled the trigger and it should be here next week. I want to say thanx to all who helped me make my choice. I will post pictures (If I can figure out how) and blow by blow or thump by thump.as i set it up. So now I can't wait for the weekend to be over. (Thats Odd)

Thanx to all,

Alain

Well It should be here tomorow,

I can't wait. I have a few 12 foot RCA cords and some female to female adapters I will use for starters. What do you guy's think, will I be able to test accuratley enough? A really good cord could be as much as $75 or $100 and the sub could be anywhere from 6 feet to 40 feet ( 10ft front 15ft side 17ft rear). I want to buy the right length the first time. I have never had a home theater sub so i dont really where it will sound best.

tomorrow cant get here quick enough,

Alain