getting a tt

leftwinger57

Well I have decided my next move would to be getting a tt. I once owned a Dual 1228 and was uber popular back in the day. Many have said that while a fine tt they were overly complicated. I have a chance of getting a Dual 721 w/ great reviews behind it and w/ a Shure cart for under $200 would this be the move to make. I have bought from this guy before and he has amazing taste in gear and would rather get it from someone I know to be picked up instead of a stranger shipping it. If not factory packaged I think tt is the last thing I would want shipped. The only thing about it is that the base is fake w/ a wood look as to the United Audio walnut bases of the other models.So is this a worthy 1st tt.Quality within my budget is what I'm looking for.Thanks.

Hello, Dual owner here 1239a spinning its lp´s.

Here in Germany on the Dual Forum the CS721 is a highly regarded TT. Normally always in the top 10 of Dual TT´s.

I have no idea of the prices there but for $200 it must be in TOP condition. Do you know which Sure cart is installed? The older models have a tendency to have non original needles in them since original is hard to get.

The suggestion on the Dual site for a great beginner TT is a 601 if you would like a belt drive. Built like a tank and easy to care for, DD 701 or 721.

Thanks for the reply. I do think after the reviews I read the choice is not all that hard.To shu I really do not know exactly what cart and stylus is involved.The seller said he had multiple brands and I have bought from him before and has great taste and quality stuff. I was hoping $200 was not the high side but it does seen fair along w/ condition.

Worry less over price and more over condition and what you want. I've paid more than the "going rate" at times for audio gear in excellent condition and never had buyer's remorse since it was usually less than the original price and many times the original price was WAY outta my reach at the time it was new. Good example would be my DBX 4BX. Couldn't have even considered it when it was new, and I paid probably 20% over the going price. I was DELIGHTED! Still am. The cost more now!

Remember: There is only a limited amount of classic used gear in first class condition. It will NOT get better, nor will there be any more.

Get what you want. This isn't a competition on who can hold out the longest for the lowest price. At least, not for me. I wanna LISTEN, and I wanna listen NOW!

Dave

I'm all in w/ both you guys. Yes I know the guy ,and I have bought from him before. Maybe I should not even say this but he did show (not listen) to his gear and he has some brand of giant mono blocks on the floor and 2 Albert Von Shcweikerts the size of smart cars in his living room. I almost had a heart attack on the level of stuff this guy has. I will when funds allow go right back to him. He did jokingly say he will warm up THE SYSTEM for me to hear finally hear it.

Is this a rim drive model? If it is I found them to have quit a bit of rumble.....especially if the platter bearing is worn. In addition the drive idler wears faster than a belt or will glaze without consistant use. When they are working 100% it is a nice TT but with a very critical system you will here the rumble.

tj, I'm not very well informed on the inner workings of the 721 except for what I read on the review section. It was pretty glowing all the way around. As for rumble they made a point of saying this model is the quietest Dual made and clearly can be an easy starter tt for me. Go to vinylengine and check out the review.If yours is that noisy maybe the platter is warped or needs some form of adjustment.What's a noise to you I might not even notice it unless it was really bad.With my system it's not entry level stuff but also not top shelf. Better than most and not even in the same caliber as others here I've seen. The only special wire I use is a pair of 1/2 mt.Signal Cable ICs and 14 gu clear spkr. wire w/ no run being more than 15'.

Stay away from Audis. One of the funnest cars I've had and very good AWD. But still the worst car I've ever owned (had an S4 not a TT). Sort of like dating the prom queen - fun to drive but expensive to keep. Resist the temptation. Get a nice Honda (more the marrying type.)

The TT is a girly-girl car anyway.

For the OP. I have a Dual 701 (two of em in fact.) It's all the tt I need. Sort of a semi-auto with never a lick of trouble and very quiet. I think the 701 is a bit better regarded that the 721 - don't know why. What Shure cart is included? If a V15 III and VN35 combo (I think as originally mated to the older Duals) that alone could be worth the price.

This is the TT that I got. Best regards Moray James.

Designed by the late Bo Hanson of Rauna of Sweden, the Continuo Concrete table and Cantus arm. If you care to look you will see that the Clear Audio Statement is a very nicely mad but badly coppied Cantus. Since Bo's death the torch has been picked up and both are still in production.

http://www.continuo.se/sidaindex_e.html

post-46582-13819830407734_thumb.jpg

This is the TT that I got. Best regards Moray James.

Never tried a linear tracker - always thought they'd be a PITA to set up and I'm not that bright. But that ^.......looks interesting........and simple maybe. DIY? Expensive?

One thing that might(or might not) help OP is that when I finally decided to get an LP unit, I didn't want to have to buy something again later after I realized the limitations of my purchase in vinyl listening.

So I bought more upscale than entry level... one other thing this does is it also allows you some resale value if you do decide that LP's are not for you and you can sell the unit later to a wider buyer base because it's a higher end unit. If you are not buying retail, most of the depreciation is already factored in on secondary market purchases.