Do you enjoy milk? Before long you may want to think twice!!!

tube fanatic

TF, thanks for the link. wow

That was four years ago in 2009 when the milk industry was proposing to amend the standard identity of milk. it seems odd in a couple of ways. First that folks in the industry would imagine it would fly to add aspartame to milk and not disclose it on the label. Second that this wasn't up on the radar until now. Of course, i miss alot of things.

Yes, this is reminiscent of when rBGH (bovine growth hormone) was approved around 20 years ago. The government put a gag order on dairies which did not use it to prevent them from stating on their containers that their milk products didn't contain it. If I recall correctly, it was a criminal offense if they did! More recently, the initiative to force disclosure of genetically modified ingredients failed to pass in California thanks to a massive public misinformation campaign by Monsanto. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find food which is not poisoned in one way or another simply because of corporate greed.

Monsanto was mentioned in the movie "The Corporation" and the expose on issues with the synthetic hormone RBGH that Fox news squashed before it aired on television. If you haven't seen this movie, it would be a good one to pay attention to while watching.

THE PRICE OF WHISTLEBLOWING

It turns out that standing
for the public good is an expensive proposition. Ask Jane Akre and Steve
Wilson, two investigative reporters fired by Fox News after they
refused to water down a story on rBGH, a controversial synthetic hormone
widely used in the United States (but banned in Europe and Canada) to
rev up cows' metabolism and boost their milk production. Because of the
increased production, the cows suffer from mastitis, a painful infection
of the udders. Antibiotics must then be injected, which find their way
into the milk, and ultimately reduce people's resistance to disease.

Fox
demanded that they rewrite the story, and ultimately fired Akre and
Wilson. Akre and Wilson subsequently sued Fox under Florida's
whistle-blower statute. They proved to a jury that the version of the
story Fox would have had them put on the air was false, distorted or
slanted. Akre was awarded $425,000. Then Fox appealed, the verdict was
overturned on a technicality, and Akre lost her award. [For an update on
the case see Disc 2 where we learn that at one point, Jane and Steve
became liable for Fox's $1.8 million court costs, later to be reduced to
$200,000.]

This is what Snopes has to say - a little less conspiritorial and a more reasonable explanation.

What this means is not, as has commonly been claimed, that the dairy industry is seeking permission to add artificial sweeteners to milk (they can already do that), or that they are attempting to change the rules so that they don't have to disclose the presence of artificial sweeteners in the ingredients listing on milk containers. What these groups are requesting is that they be allowed to sell milk which includes artificial sweeteners without being required to include prominent front label notices on the packaging describing the product as "reduced calorie" or "reduced sugar."

My wife is all over stuff like this. It's got completely out of control. Our budget is shot, because since we can't trust "normal food" anymore, we are forced to buy certified organic for just about everything. The only thing I eat that doesn't say "non-GMO" on the box is Honey Nut Cheerios, and I'm an idiot for doing it -- the crap is poison. Other countries won't buy our grains or meat, and our cancer rates are four to six times higher than other industrialized nations. It's bad folks. As for Snopes, well, I no longer believe everything they say either.

DeanG, I'm just curious, who would you consider a reputable source of information for this topic?

EDIT: I should mention, I have seen Food, inc and read Omnivore's Dilemma

.. and am generally critical of our profit based food supply system.

You and your wife are on point DeanG... Tell you all a funny story, I was at a restaurant about 4 yrs ago, couldn't help eavesdroppping the table next to me. It was a "company meeting over lunch" they were trying to manufacture a stew for trader joes, their concern was cross contamination from gmo crops, around their prospective suppliers. At this point, it appeared, for the organic listing at trader joes,it had to be tested by TJ's and be completely clean. These guys were scared.It might have changed? I have tasted their organic honey nut cheerios, they are not that bad Dean...to everyone remember everytime you put a unnatural preservative in your body and even some natural ones I assume, you are being preserved.....

DeanG, I'm just curious, who would you consider a reputable source of information for this topic?

A good source for many health related issues is Joe Mercola: http://www.mercola.com/

Granted, he is a bit self serving as he sells many dietary supplements and products; but, his reporting of relevant issues is excellent and, if nothing else, give a good basis for further research. His daily e-newsletter is free as well.

Dean G.'s point about the cost of avoiding commercial foods is well taken. I'd love to go that route myself, but paying $1 for one apple is a bit much for my budget. And the sad reality, as Dean said, is that other countries will not import many food products from the US because they know that they are poison. It never ceases to amaze me that when 100 or more countries have concluded that a certain chemical, pesticide, food "additive" and so on is dangerous, and ban them as a result, we are told that these things are perfectly safe. Heck, the ADA still won't allow member dentists to tell patients that "silver" fillings are really half mercury and may pose serious health threats. My dentist of almost 40 years literally shakes in his shoes when I start bashing the ADA for making totally false claims about dental product safety. He's told me that if a "spy" from the state dental board was in the office posing as a patient, and heard him even hint about amalgam dangers, he would lose his license. And I won't even get started on the issue of the mass poisoning of people by having fluoride added to their municipal water supplies....................

It never ceases to amaze me that when 100 or more countries have concluded that a certain chemical, pesticide, food "additive" and so on is dangerous, and ban them as a result, we are told that these things are perfectly safe.

I don't want to sound like I am picking on anyone or pointing out weight issues, as I have been blessed with good genes for a fairly trim body, and haven't had to fight to keep my weight in line.

However... if you spend some time in another country (spent some time in the Ireland, Philippines, China...) and then fly back into the U.S., you notice something very quickly when you get home. I can't help but think our diet has a LOT to do with it.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

Check out Collin Campbell's "The China Study" Dairy is a good one to pass on. Best regards Moray James.

I am 1/2 way through the book. Thanks for the recommendation. I essentially abandoned the "modern american diet" about 17 years ago and avoid all fast food, candy, preparred foods, thick sauces, etc. I have felt much better since I started it and the only time I seem to feel bad is when I eat at a restaurant. Looks like I need to make some major further adjustments.

I like where the author stared and where he wound up. He definately has an agenda, but he did not start out with an aganda and then seek to prove it, quite the opposite. He made a discovery completely contrary to his beginnings and training and wants to tell the world.