Audio Photography

Youthman

• Moderators

It's funny how many times when I search Google for various audio gear, I quickly see photos that I have taken and either shared on the Klipsch forum or the AVS Forum. For example, searching Velodyne (20th image), Klipsch RF-83 (17th & 18th image), Klipsch RSW-15 (1st image).

A forum member contacted me about an Ebay ad for a pair of RF-83's that was using my photo to sell his RF-83's because he recognized it was a photo I had shared in the forums. LOL I sent him an email and asked kindly that he would use his own images.

I guess over the past few years, I have really taken a liking to photographing audio gear. Not sure really why, it's just fun to me. I've learned a lot about photography by doing so and hopefully, the hundreds of photos that I have shared here in the forums are in some way beneficial to the Klipsch community.

I think my favorite photos I have taken were of my RSW-15. Maybe it's because of the high contrast of colors (Maple, Copper and Black) that really makes it stand out.

Your photography skills are great, the shots you take are as good as it gets IMO. Klipsch has used your photos on Facebook, perhaps they should fly you to town and let you shoot the photos of their new gear when it comes out! Why not keep it in the family!

• Moderators

Might have to start using a watermark, people will not stop using your pictures.

I'm not too worried about that. Besides, Watermarks can be removed with Photoshop....it's the old addage, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

perhaps they should fly you to town and let you
shoot the photos of their new gear when it comes out! Why not keep it in
the family!

That sounds like fun. I would be willing but I'm sure Klipsch has their own photographer already.

Sideline business ? Idea

I have a side business in graphic and custom website design and print services for the past 9 years....not sure I want to get into paid photography.

A good photographer can make an object look better than it actually is. Case in point, my daughters wedding photos. They were taken in the church we've been going to for over 20 years, so I'm very familiar as to how it looks. I have, however, never seen the church look as good as it did in her wedding photos. Your pictures are the same way.

honestly, they look like a pro shot them. they're really good.

like you said in your HK thread, it's WAY easier to take a photo of an inanimate object, than something in motion. it doesnt take away your ability to take awesome pictures ;)

so many people still can't make them look good :)

be careful if you do decide to make a 'job' out of it. when something turns into work, it can take the fun out of it :)

• Moderators

honestly, they look like a pro shot them. they're really good.

Thanks Uts.

like you said in your HK thread, it's WAY easier to take a photo of an inanimate object, than something in motion.

Yes, I wish my kid's basketball pics turned out 1/2 as good as my HT pics do. Fast action, low light and even with a 50mm 1.8 fast glass, it's still not as sharp as my HT pics.

be careful if you do decide to make a 'job' out of it. when something turns into work, it can take the fun out of it :)

Yes, that is true. I was wondering that when I got into custom website and graphic design but even after 9 years, I still really enjoy it and have a lot of fun doing so.

• Moderators

Seeing someone else use your photos is the ultimate complimentCoolYes.

Good way to look at it.

A good photographer can make an object look better than
it actually is.......Your pictures are the same way.

Sounds like a back handed compliment. Are you saying my speakers are really junk? [:P] I know what you mean though. [:D]

Great angles and lighting, and the red walls really make the speakers pop. Very nice job.

Thx Tod.

• Moderators

After re-reading my post, it was a little confusing. Let me put it another way. You and my daughters wedding photographer are very skilled at taking very nice photosYes

I was just messing with ya. [:P] It just sounded funny the way you wrote it. Just having some fun. [:D]

Yes, I wish my kid's basketball pics turned out 1/2 as good as my HT pics do. Fast action, low light and even with a 50mm 1.8 fast glass, it's still not as sharp as my HT pics.

I shoot a Nikon D700. With fast glass (f1.4-2.6) one can capture some really nice action shots due to the phenomenal ISO capability of that body.

Every time i see a photo where one of you has piled all his Klipsch stuff into one enormous mountain (especially outdoors), I think to myself 'I had a part in that'.

I know that this one been used for years as an excuse 'See honey, I'm not as bad as THIS guy! '

Michael

post-10755-13819830618434_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I would hope so with a price tag of $3000 for just the body. [:D] It looks like a really sweet unit. I believe the D90 was originally $1200 and is now selling for around $400. I started out with a D70 and it had horrible ISO capability. Anything above 800 and it was just too grainy to even use. The D90 is much better at higher ISO.

• Moderators

Michael, I still LOVE that photo. Glad to see it in circulation again. Many of the new forum members could really use this with their honey's the next time their significant other is complaining about their purchase. [:D]

Great tips as well. You are exactly correct. When I'm taking pics of my audio gear, I set my white balance using my projection screen, set my camera either on the floor, on a box or setup on my tripod (depending on what angle I need), set the auto timer (so as to not move the camera when the shutter is pressed), set my ISO to 200 (sharpest pics but you MUST have a tripod do to long shutter speeds) and set my Aperture to desired depth of field (amount of blur) and adjust my shutter speed to obtain proper exposure. I either shoot in Manual or Aperture Priority. Those settings work for me. I usually end up with something like this:

ISO: 200
Aperture: 1.8 - 2.8 if I want blurry background or shallow depth of field and F11 if I want everything in focus
Shutter Speed: typically 3 - 4 seconds
White Balance: Custom using my projection screen as the source
Self Timer: 5 seconds
Always use tripod or something stable that the camera can be set on and not held

When you get to motion, outdoors or other lighting situations, everything changes but that's what photography is all about....lighting.

I thought Id chime in on this. I too have seen many of your photos online when I have searched for things. I personally really enjoy looking at your photos and I think they are very well taken. (have even gone back and looked at them a few times the RSW-15 with the crimson red theater walls looks awesome.) I have found many of my photos from collectible movie pieces online that I used to own before I sold everything. I plan to start doing some photographing/close ups myself of my audio equipment. I too find it to be fun but dont have the skills yet that you have or the equipment. My good friend that is doing the photography at our upcoming wedding is coming to do a gallery of photos of the room that I plan to post after I have them. Youth keep up the awesome work many of us enjoy it.

Love the way the HK looks in that cabinet too bad it cant be seen outside the cabinet as it is really a pretty receiver.