I'm Wearing Her Down!!!......I forsee a 2ch living room setup in Youthman's living room.

Youthman

• Moderators

I was just going to say the Palladium P-39's would look delightful in that room, but maybe she's not quite that worn down! Wink

A Ferarri would look nice in my driveway but I don't believe that will be happening either. [:P]

Actually, when I asked her what I can budget for the 2ch setup, she said she didn't care. [:o] [:D] Ah but as most of you know by now, Youthman is pretty frugal with finances. Just because I have permission to spend whatever I want, I would rather find some really great deals on some really great gear.

I'll keep it pretty simple, but want it to sound good as well. Most likely an HK receiver, a pair of speakers (will try the Forte II first) and a bluray player that supports Pandora and Netflix.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, when I asked her what I can budget for the 2ch setup, she said she didn't care. SurpriseBig Smile Ah but as most of you know by now, Youthman is pretty frugal with finances. Just because I have permission to spend whatever I want, I would rather find some really great deals on some really great gear.

I'll keep it pretty simple, but want it to sound good as well. Most likely an HK receiver, a pair of speakers (will try the Forte II first) and a bluray player that supports Pandora and Netflix.

YM, have you considered utilizing your HK for a zone 2 set up? Save on another AVR and enhance the speaker choices.....just a thought [:)]

From HK's website:

Enjoy music in every room of the house
Thanks
to the Zone II remote control and the A-BUS/READY™ multiroom audio
outputs provided with the AVR 3600, you can now play music throughout
the house, pleasing all musical tastes in the family. Listen to the
positive reviews flood in from every room when you add multiple new
input sources that transform your home into several electrifying
entertainment zones. This way, you can take advantage of the extensive
capabilities of your AVR 3600 – and give each audience member under your
roof exactly what he or she likes to hear.

• Moderators

That might be a good idea, definitely something I need to look into as I have never used a Zone 2 before. The only thing is if I want to keep it simple for my wife to use (not even sure she will use it), that might not work. Even though I have the Harmony One setup to where she can hit 1 button on the remote, she NEVER has touched the HT setup. My kids and I are the ones that use it.

I'll check into the A-Bus-Ready (not sure what that is) feature and see how I would connect the speakers in another room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've been texting a guy about the possibility of trading my Velodyne HGS15 for a pair of B&W DM 604 S3. The S3 is the newer version of my previous S2's. The DM 604 S3 are selling for $700 and the Velodyne HGS15 sold for $750 so it would be pretty much an even trade. He's going to sleep on it but says he likes the idea.

I'm not TOTALLY sure I want to part with the HGS15, even though I haven't used it since I bough the RSW-15. It's just been such a sweet sub, almost hate to part with it, especially since it was my first "real" sub. LOL.

It sounds like you wore her down, lol. I have several avr's but, if I was setup another system on the same floor, I would do it as a separate system because my wife and children are not techie's. I have the capability for separate zones, but I am the only one that would use it. They only use the Harmony to watch TV.

• Moderators

So here are the speakers that will likely end up in the living room for the 2ch setup. They are B&W DM604 S3's. They are in fantastic condition (other than one tiny nick in the side) and came with the original boxes and floor spikes. I have not even heard them yet.

BW-DM604-S3-1.jpg.jpgBW-DM-604-S3-1.jpg.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-1.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-2.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-3.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-4.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-5.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-6.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-8.jpg

BW-DM-604-S3-9.jpg

Michael,

Those are beauties. I think you did good. Sad to see the HGS15 go. I may have bought it someday because finding another Revel B15 around our neck of the woods have proven very tough, especially at a sub 1000.00 price.

Your B&W's will look sweet in your family room.

Enjoy,

Bill

• Moderators

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I wasn't sure I was going to like the aluminum woofers but I do. Very classy looking speakers. Need to spend less time in the forums and more time looking for furniture so I can get them setup.

Youthman: A beautiful home you have there my friend! I agree that the RF5's might just be an ideal choice. When looking at systems years ago, I too auditioned a pair of B&W 604's against some RF-5's and the 5's won. I really like many of B&W's offerings but they can be rather power-hungry, which was a deal-breaker for me relative to my amplifier budget back then. But, it was the sound of the 5's that really won me over and I wound up opting for RF-7's instead. Best of luck and happy shopping! :) -Glenn

• Moderators

Thanks Glenn. The RF-5's probably are not too much larger than the B&W 604's. I've actually never heard the RF-5's but hear great things about them. Just figured the B&W's would be something different and they didn't cost me any out of pocket so I might as well start there. If a great deal on a pair of RF-5's come along, I could ****** them up and compare between the two to see which I like better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My wife and kids came home yesterday to an empty living room.....sold it on Craigslist. We only have two chairs in the living room now. The search begins for a new living room set.....one step closer to my 2ch setup. [:D]

That is a beautiful house! That open floorplan must make it great for entertaining. The B&Ws look great, and seem a good choice since you had some before.

'As for me and my house...' Beautiful!

Bruce

• Moderators

That is a beautiful house! That open floorplan must make it great for entertaining.

Thank you Bruce. With 4 children, they are always bringing their friend's over. We enjoy having guest over and we hold my student ministry leadership meetings here as well. The open floorplan is perfect for that. I just need some acoustic panels or something to help tame the echo. The room is super loud and very hard to understand when a lot of people are talking at once.

'As for me and my house...' Beautiful!

[;)] We had a friend of ours paint that for us. We wanted it central in our living room.

• Moderators

Thanks Ivan.

The family and I went furniture shopping tonight. My wife and I agreed we were both looking for something more than casual, but not extremely formal either. Something in between.

We found a set we really liked visually as well as comfortability. It has the metal studs in the front like our current leather chair that we have now so we think it will mate well with it.

001599440.aspx

005599444.aspx

Both Kanes and Ashley Furniture have the same set, basically the same price. I'll take out cash tomorrow and head up there to see if I can work a deal and see which store wants the sale the most. Best deal gets my cash.

My wife told me tonight, "You know you can move the speakers into the living room if you want." Wow, she's REALLY warming up to the idea now. I'm truly blessed with an amazing wife. [:D]

• Moderators

Well, I might have just slowed down the progress....I did a search for "Ashley Furniture Lifetime Warranty"....when low and behold, most of the links were to BBB Complaints and other complaint pages. Out of curiosity, I searched for Kanes Furniture Complaints....very similar results but not as bad as Kanes.

You would think spending $900 on a couch would provide a descent quality furniture. I could understand if I was buying a couch that retails for $399.

Now I have no idea where to begin my search. Any brands that I should look for? Maybe I can search CL for a particular quality brand? Probably a crap shoot trying to locate something similar to what's shown above.

Looks like the 2ch setup will be delayed until I can get this figured out. [:(]